DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I was confused when I saw this story circulating today because I was apparently the one guy unaware this had been wrongly dismissed as an urban legend.

Me too, however, I was under the impression that they were crushed to pieces and buried in with concrete. So that was the surprise for me.

Just started "Sleeping Dogs" which I pursed for $5 at the most recent STEAM sale. I've got about an hour of playing time in and feel like I've gotten my money's worth already. S'fun.

Kudos for being even later to the party than me. You're in for a heckuva ride.

Just started "Sleeping Dogs" which I pursed for $5 at the most recent STEAM sale. I've got about an hour of playing time in and feel like I've gotten my money's worth already. S'fun.

Kudos for being even later to the party than me. You're in for a heckuva ride.

I have the game on my XBOX HD, and I'm not sure that I've even tested the download to make sure it works.

Somewhat related, but I think it was Game Informer this month that had an interesting article in regards to how many people that owned games didn't even have the first trophy you get just for playing for a few minutes.  Like 20% or something of people that had I guess at least loaded up AC IV hadn't even gotten through the first memory sequence.  I admit I have done that too, there are games I got, turned on, turned off for whatever reason and then took a year to get back to.

I don't think I've done that with any games I've actually bought.  There's a bunch of the PS+ freebies that I've played for 5 minutes and quit on but ones I've actually bought?  No*. 

* - that excludes games I haven't even started yet.  I've got 2 dozen games on my shelf that haven't even been popped into the drive yet...

There are also games I have on Steam that can be played in offline mode so it wrongly says I've played the game for "5 minutes" when I played it for 72000 hours, which can also deny your network telling Steam to give you trophies (See: Skyrim).

But these days it's also easier than ever to build a backlog of stuff it seems. Which is nothing to complain about I suppose, a time of plenty.

• Like 1

I was doing that quite a bit during the end of the PS2/Xbox era, with the consoles dying and the beginnings of the end of video rental stores, I was getting great deals on games and I was sometimes getting 10 or more at a time. I was borderline hoarding at that point, justifying it to myself under the guise of "collecting" or planning the resell for a supposed big profit. Moving twice in about 3 years opened my eyes as to how much dead weight I was carrying. I've also personally changed a lot (including getting married) in the last couple of years and while gaming is still a big hobby of mine, it doesn't dominate my time and wallet. I went from having racks and racks to 3 games on my shelf. Basically now if I'm not playing a game, I sell/trade it in right away.

I think the only games that I own right now that I have never even put in my 360 yet are Bioshock and Assassin's Creed III (and AC3 was given to me as a Xmas gift along with the one before it)

Now I do have a bunch that I have played for like a hour and was like "I will have to get back to you..." but it is rare that I don't play someone I buy at least once

I will say that I'm sure those sorts of numbers will be getting bigger as more people go the digital route.  The sales tend to be very good and it's easy to download a bunch of stuff at once, try it to see if it works, and then have it get lost in your hard drive.  That 99 cent sale on PSN made an instant backlog for me, that's for sure.

I've got 3 Wii games still shrink-wrapped.

Out of my 207 unplayed games.

In my defence, I've got a few games I never planned to play from PC bundles, and 29 are unplayed games from Taito Legends 2 on PS2.

Okay that's not much of a defence.

Help.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Raiden 4 is finally getting a release on the PS3.  Comes out tomorrow!  Been a huge fan of the Raiden series for...a long time.  Ever since I picked up Raiden Project for the PS1, if not before that.  Great series of shmups that meshes perfectly with my preferred style of game (vertical scrolling) and difficulty.

My biggest reason for my backlog to still exist (since I've been home with Mom since August of 2010) is that Mom makes it a bit weird/awkward sometimes to play out in the living room where the PS2 and PS3 are. She tried to watch me play Sacred 2 once and trying to game and explain (especially something as nonsensical as that) is basically impossible. :-p

If I had to play my games on a shared TV, I'd be doing a lot less gaming.  Being able to be downstairs in my man cave, where I'm free to play profane games and yell at the screen gives me a lot more time to play, that's for sure.

Finished the platinum trophy for Sleeping Dogs.  I enjoyed pretty much every aspect of getting it other than two driving related trophies, one where you have to drive safely for 2 minutes and one for winning all the races, and the gambling mini-game.  Both suffer from the same issues - wonky controls and NPC cars that do stuff like.....stopping dead for no reason in the middle of the freeway.  And the AI cars in the races cheat like crazy, especially in motorcycle races.  Nothing like having a big lead only to see it disappear right at the finish line because the 2nd place bike suddenly tripled in speed.  I had a couple motorcycle races that took me 10-20 times to finish, let alone win.  The car ones were much easier and I usually won those on the first try.

The gambling mini-game I disliked was this cockfighting one.  The game shows you two birds, you bet on one, watch the fight and you win or lose.  It's random and not really based on anything.  And it takes forever.  And to get to the trophy, you've gotta have a profit of a million bucks - 100k at a time.  That's PROFIT.  So you end up saving/reloading on every win/loss.  And then have to drive back to the gambling den after the reload.  And watch the non-interactive fight, that lasts a good 30-45 seconds, over and over.  Uggggggggghhhhhhhh. 

Those are minor complaints against an overall awesome game though.

Now to finish off the DLC and then start on Raiden 4 and Rage.