DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

Collision was chugging along so well until Jericho came out, but aside from that and some Wrestlecrap fodder in the main event (specifically the bit with Sonjay), but all in all it feels like we're on a roll 🤌🏻

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I do, but I thought their status as a successor was indicated by their names. Like "Titan Jr" or "El Hijo del Titan". Is that less of a hard-and-fast rule than I thought?

So, two separate things here ...

Sometimes names are just recycled.  25 years ago there was a dude working named Titán, now there is another dude that just happens to be using the name. Part of the "function" of the box y lucha commissions is supposed to be making sure two different luchadors aren't registered with the same name and look, but since the commissions are at the state/local level, it happens. Plus, sometimes the promotions own the gimmicks. CMLL is pretty big on taking an old tyme luchador name and re-using it for a young guy.

As far as the Hijo/Jr thing... traditionally that is something passed from father to son, but can often be cousins, nephews or other family members. However, sometimes the OG might just sell the gimmick to a younger wrestler. The original Hermanos Dinimatas are a good example of this; There were multiple "Cien Caras Jr" and "Hijo del Universo 2000" out there completely unrelated, and the OGs got a kickback for letting them use the name

• Thanks 3

Rey Jr. is actually the nephew of the original, right?  And the wrestler who currently works as Rey Horus (Dragon Azteca Jr. in Lucha Underground) was a Hijo del Rey Mysterio but not the first one, apparently.

Dr Wagner junior is only Dr Wagner junior because his older brother refused to be. But then his older brother was Silver King, so it worked out pretty well for everyone involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Rey Jr. is actually the nephew of the original, right?

Correct.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

And the wrestler who currently works as Rey Horus (Dragon Azteca Jr. in Lucha Underground) was a Hijo del Rey Mysterio but not the first one, apparently.

Also correct.

Pentagon Jr is not the son of any of the previous Pentagons.  The original Pentagon was Espanto Jr (Andrade El Idolo's uncle), who re-gimmicked as Pentagon, but had a stroke before the big mask match with Octagon. AAA just gave the Penta Jr gimmick to him as a rival to the original Octagon Jr., who was of no relation to Octagon, and quickly left AAA to become WWE's Kalisto.  The second Octagon Jr was Flamita, who left AAA and dropped the gimmick after Octagon showed up to a personal appearance with armed bodyguards and jerked his mask off.  Octagon then announced the debut of Hijo del Octagon, who is also of no relation, and formerly worked as Marabunta Jr.  This guy has never appeared in AAA.

• Like 2

What a run! This Collision show had flow and felt a bit more important than a usual Saturday Night. No surprise to see Shane Taylor v Danielson have an excellent opener. Taylor is a bad ass. Really loved this and the post match Will Ospreay/Danielson segment. Ospreay is earning his money in ring and on the mic! Such great charisma and connection with the crowd. Ospreay killed this. Okada/Bucks squash ruled. I loved seeing Okada destroy these guys, and it made for a strong full time debut. Post match Pac/Kingston/Penta confrontation was full of fire. So great to have Pac back in the fold. The Trios match is gonna be so fun. Can't wait for all these Okada singles too. Darby/Jay video was very good. Mariah May v Adora was a great showcase. On an increasingly stacked roster, Mariah May is slowly becoming the best part of the show. Incredible charisma, great offense, etc. Toni Award ceremony was the good kind of silly. But, ugh, please stop trying to make Deona a goddamn babyface. Riho/Nighingale video! Loved all these promotional videos. Nick Wayne v Adam Priest was a nice showcase. Wayne's starting to put together a strong act. Mother Wayne rules. Adam Priest is so good. They need to find a place for him on the Honorclub roster. Copeland run-in was fun and energized. I kinda dread a 'what's in the box?' angle. Feels a bit 'Devil'-ish, but these guys are pros and I trust they have something up their sleeves. Jarrett/Leathal/Briscoe promo was good. I really liked Jericho v Titan. I thought they clicked. Future graphic reads 'Titan is All Elite'. Hook getting a little Sand-y there chasing off the rising Gates. So stoked for this Tag tournament. Speaking of which. The FTR promo was good and solid. Cash is great. Dax was great here. The Infantry interruption was okay. Dean/Bravo have vastly improved over their ROH run. Curious to see if FTR can lead them to a breakout bout. Mistico v Angelico was terrific. I'd love to see Angelico work more Luchadores. I'd love to see BCC bring him on for their CMLL beef. House of Black v Briscoe/Lethal/Jarrett was kinda fun. I think I might've liked this one more than most. Looking forward to seeing Mark beat the shit out of all three of those ghouls in singles. What a fun show! Great promotional videos throughout. Tho, I wonder why no Wardlow-Joe video? Or did I miss it? I was a bit under the weather watching this one, but this show lifted my spirits. A real delight. AEDubyaaa's is starting to build some real momentum. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

AAA just gave the Penta Jr gimmick to him as a rival to the original Octagon Jr., who was of no relation to Octagon, and quickly left AAA to become WWE's Kalisto.

Who also worked as Samuray Del Sol in that brief stint between AAA and WWE, right?

Considering the shitty build for the main event trios “street fight”, the shitty payoff makes sense. Props to Team Briscoe for proper street fight attire and to JJ for bringing plunder which was barely used. No more fire spots please.

Angelico the walking surge can had a match with Mistico that I don’t recall anything particularly interesting about except the repeated finisher spot after the initial botch.

Jericho-Titan, on the other hand, was solid stuff and Jericho is a pretty decent base. He’s going to break his neck on a lionsault though.

Re: the Toni-Deonna heel face dynamic. At the PPV, Deonna was clearly wrestling as the heel. The Toni (with an I to avoid being sued) Awards was a face move, with her finally giving the recognition to May that she has been craving (albeit in a way that will long term advance their eventual feud). Deonna crashing that was clearly a heel move, and she wasn’t being presented as a face. May is wrestling as a tweener, being adored by the fans while being dickish to her opponents (mirroring Timeless Toni in that sense as well). Anyway, May and Adora had a solid match.

Danielson-Shane Taylor was easy MOTN, Danielson did so much fantastic facial expression work to get Taylor over. The backstory with the Danielson-Moriarty BCC tryout match was also good although did not go enough into that specific element of it.

Infantry was corny AF but I’m sure it’ll be a decent short-term feud for FTR.

I’ve been playing Fight Forever as Eddie Kingston and the only match I’ve lost was to Death Triangle 3 on 1 after I refused to join them (because I hate Penta). Anyway, PAC is back and teaming with Eddie and his bestie Penta. Eddie-Okada is interesting, the rest is shrug.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’ve been playing Fight Forever as Eddie Kingston and the only match I’ve lost was to Death Triangle 3 on 1 after I refused to join them (because I hate Penta).

A man of fine taste.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Who also worked as Samuray Del Sol in that brief stint between AAA and WWE, right?

He was Samuray Del Sol first... he is actually from Chicago. I think he was still using the name on non-AAA Indy shows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

Re: the Toni-Deonna heel face dynamic. At the PPV, Deonna was clearly wrestling as the heel. The Toni (with an I to avoid being sued) Awards was a face move, with her finally giving the recognition to May that she has been craving (albeit in a way that will long term advance their eventual feud). Deonna crashing that was clearly a heel move, and she wasn’t being presented as a face. May is wrestling as a tweener, being adored by the fans while being dickish to her opponents (mirroring Timeless Toni in that sense as well). Anyway, May and Adora had a solid match.

I don't think it was quite clear that Deonna was working heel at the PPV, but what you're suggesting about the Collision segment makes sense and I really really really hope you're right. 

EDIT: who joins Deonna to battle the dynamic duo?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't think it was quite clear that Deonna was working heel at the PPV, but what you're suggesting about the Collision segment makes sense and I really really really hope you're right. 

Are she and Jayme Hayter close by any chance?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Doesn't Mercedes seem to be the obvious answer?

I'm not as down on Jericho as most people online appear to be these days, but I believe that he needs to take some real time off. After being squashed by Hobbs and then later losing to Takeshita by his own submission hold like he's Kerry Von Erich against Taurus Bulba, it felt like Jericho being written off so he could freshen up his character. I appreciate the fact that he didn't get his wins back. Since he doesn't appear to be going anywhere, he should be used to put over Shane Taylor who's overdue a win outside of ROH. 

Edited by evidence
  • Like 1