DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/5 - 2/11/2024 - Hey Hey, My My, Rocky Pushed Cody Aside

Not exactly sure how this will work. Will Roman do the Fingerpoke of Doom and The Rock lies down for a quick pin? With Bill Codyberg running through backstage at the Georgia Dome...I mean Lincoln Financial Field to fight Roman?

The Rock was completely thrown off by the crowd reaction. Plus, his Cody Crybabies will completely turn the crowd against him, but he doesn't care.

I was hoping it would lead to Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins vs The Rock vs Roman Reigns, but I'm not even sure that will happen. It's going to be Rock vs Roman.

That press conference (minus the actual press) sure was something. I honestly have no idea what they are doing and I love it. There's a whole bunch of directions they can go and all of them would be good.

Seth Rollins is the odd man out though. He should just say fuck it and get the knee surgery because no one is going to care about him at Mania. 

It doesn't matter if this was the original plan or not, that was pulled off surprisingly well outside of making Seth look like an afterthought at the end. 

Fans though they knew exactly where this was headed, but honestly, we're all still guessing at this point,  which is a good thing at the moment.  

I said in the last thread that going the heel route with the Rock here would be a fun way to go because the "Cody is getting hosed" movement is easy to make fun of, and even kayfabe wise has holes in it, but I didn't think The Rock and his team would be go for it.  It still looks like shades of gray for now but the slap was definitely not a "good guy" move.  I don't think the Rock was thrown off by the crowd reaction since it was obvious it was going this way beforehand, which is why he was shit talking on Pat's show. 

I actually was surprise it wasn't louder from the Cody contingent there for most of it until Rock made the definitive heel move with the slap to Cody.  They might manufacture the "good man is being held down by the Powers That Be" audience support level for Cody, but it ain't getting to Daniel Bryan levels....at least not yet.  We'll see.

Edited by _MJ_

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well the strange thing is now Cody is getting booed.  Like are they booing because of the crybabies stuff or are the Rock or Reigns fans

at least the Rock/Hogan element isn't totally out of question with a switch from Rock/Roman to Roman/Cody

1 minute ago, _MJ_ said:

I said in the last thread that going the heel route with the Rock here would be a fun way to go because the "Cody is getting hosed" movement  is easy to make fun of

In the spirit of alliteration, I will point out the words "coward" and "candyass" start with the letter C, like Cody, or "crybabies".

Free promo line: "Cody, you're going to wish those crybabies didn't make you want to fight me at Wrestlemania"

Obviously Rock's fastball velo on the mic is gonna be different in 2024 than in 1999 (in the slap clip, Rock seemed to be working at a Jimmy Snuka volume/cadence), but it feels like a situation where he's gonna have to hold a hand behind his back to not accidentally/intentionally nuke Cody Rhodes on the mic.

Alvarez’s idea of Two Man Bloodline versus Cody & Seth on Night 1, with Cody/Roman and Seth/EC winner on Night 2, is the best option as of right now.

You could also run that tag at Elimination Chamber in Perth as a “get your feet wet” type thing for Rock. If I was him, I wouldn’t want my first match back after 11 years to be at Mania. I’d want a little warmup first.

I could also see a real possibility of Rock/Roman happening Night 1, Rock loses, and Night 2 he helps Roman retain because he acknowledges him or whatever. And then continue on with the story of him being on the TKO board and using his pull to help Roman out when he can.

Would Seth be healthy enough to work a match in Australia in 2 weeks?

in theory, you could do a six man in Australia (Cody/pick two friends* vs Rock/Reigns/Solo) and then still do a tag match on Night 1

(* - Cody/LA Knight/Orton?)

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

I could also see a real possibility of Rock/Roman happening Night 1, Rock loses, and Night 2 he helps Roman retain because he acknowledges him or whatever. And then continue on with the story of him being on the TKO board and using his pull to help Roman out when he can.

Oh fuck why are we trying to put The Authority angle back into existence 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whole thing is a bizarre mess. Felt like retconning the Smackdown segment last week. Cody introduced Rock in to this but now comes out saying this is bullshit!   

Rock hyping up The Biggest Match in Professional Wrestling History via The Family Tree, only for it to now maybe not ever happen lol. Definitely felt like Rock/Roman together now as the Corporate Bloodline. 

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Oh fuck why are we trying to put The Authority angle back into existence 

I think the key difference here is that the Bloodline is still (somehow) over as an act, whereas nobody cared about the Authority shit.

6 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

Picture of the Bloodline family tree. Did they miss anyone? I was looking for Haku, since the Snukas are on there

GF20iZebgAALQft?format=jpg&name=large

Haku is Tongan.

That press conference was both amazing and a fucking mess Lol.  It was incredible.  I'm glad they really turned up the TV-14 stuff, it made it feel more authentic. 

Seth looked like a fool for the most part.  He got torn to shreds and got very little out of it. 

The Rock got a good ovation but it went down from there.  The boos got heavier and heavier....  

Cody was great. 

I didn't have The Rock joins Roman and then threatens Triple H backstage on my BINGO card but all of that was good stuff.  The Rock as a heel is infinitely more interesting.  

I'm guessing that maybe this leads to Rock helping Cody at some point.  

They could also do The Rock and Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins and Cody Rhodes on Night 1. 

Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns on Night 2

That would make everyone happy I think. 

That closing was wonderful. Cody, Rock, and Roman were all killing it for their roles. I like how Rock has this entitlement of where his family is that he just gets to walk on in and Roman siding with him for the glory. Or maybe Roman knows Cody had him last year and this isn't an in his prime Rock so he's got the better chance. I love all these little unspokens here.

If I can quibble though... wow, The Rock knows what wikipedia is. It is literally that tree against a new graphic...tree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoaʻi_family#Anoaʻi_family_tree

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

on a scale of 1 to 10, how much was the presser/kickoff done in the spirit of a boxing press conference where the entire thing descends into chaos

I mean, their sister company is the UFC. It’s what I was trying to say in the Vince legal issues thread - ain’t nobody asking questions at this thing, it’s not that kind of press conference. They’ve done this before - but more straightforward - with WrestleMania 30. It worked better here, because all I remember from that one is Daniel Bryan trying to do a yes chant infront of the media and it bombed.

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Some champ trying to be a face purely to avoid having to wrestle another face would be an amusingly meta way to do book things.

That's how Hogan ducked Steamboat back in the '80s!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They could also do The Rock and Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins and Cody Rhodes on Night 1. 

Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns on Night 2

That would make everyone happy I think

Well except for Cody actually losing in Night 2

As others have mentioned, we are going through some serious hoops just for Cody to lose again.  but it will be entertaining