DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah Cody beating Seth Rollins does nothing.  That's not the "story" they have been telling.   Triple H isn't the masterful booker that some people made him out to be is he? 

He never was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cody's value to the WWE is mostly that he's not in AEW. Just a toy in the toybox that they have and someone else doesn't.

But it's really had to get much juice behind the "this guy is being held down by the man" because we've seen some version of that with guys who are a lot better than Cody. And then some of those people actually got to run with the title with varying results.

Anyways, they haven't even done a Roman face run during his eterna-title reign, so there's still juice in that stone.

Also, they should have Seth beat Cody just to fuck with people further. Maybe Cody's the ECW Tommy Dreamer of this universe.

My interest in WM just dropped to absolute zero. This is completely a lose-lose scenario. First, for a YEAR since he lost last year at WM you continue building to Cody finishing the story which was winning the title Roman has. Then you have Cody win the RR two years in a row. You have him cut this promo about Seth's title is this but Roman's title is the one with all the history and the one that meant the most to his dad and ultimately he...steps aside so a blown up Rock who can't go for more than a minute can challenge Roman at WM for the title that Cody has been going for and finishing the story is now taking the WWE universe from Roman? Uh, what? The mental gymnastics involved here and the galaxy brained thinking is astonishing.

Seth vs Cody is a foregone conclusion. Seth's body is fucked. There's no fucking way Cody is losing to Seth so there's no drama there. No only that, but he's settling for a title that Roman just buried two minutes prior. And on the other side you have Roman vs Rock where Rock has zero cardio and Roman puts on a boring as fuck match so maybe, MAYBE it might be ok and he can carry Rock to something passable, but the two outcomes from that match stink. So Rock wins and a dude who is even more part time than Roman or anyone else is champion, a guy whose best option after winning the title is to drop it back to Roman because that dude is going to have shit matches against just about everybody. Plus, the Rock is the one to unseat Roman as champion, not Cody and not even anyone else worth of getting that kind of a rub or torch passed to them. And if Roman wins, great, he continues a title reign that is absolutely fucking dead and boring for another year or whatever the fuck. It's just stupid. It's Vince level booking.

You could have easily gone with Drew vs Seth at WM and Cody vs Roman vs Rock with Cody in the Bryan Danielson spot beating an all time great and the head of the table to finish the story, but no, we must do this shit ass match with Roman and Rock. 

• Like 7

I'd much rather see Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes than Roman Reigns vs. The Rock. With how much muscle The Rock's put on, even more than his matches with John Cena at WrestleMania XXVIII and XXIX, I can't see it turning out well. A gassed Rock who is older now than he was back then as well. The story is Cody Rhodes finishing the story and now it's not. Sucks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

They could have also easily had Roman vs. Rock on Night 1 and Roman vs. Cody on Night 2.  Roman only wrestles 5x a year, surely he could do a 10-minute spectacle with Dwayne and come back the next night for Cody/Roman II.  

But anyway, Cody winning the Rumble and NOT challenging Roman is one of the dumbest stories ever told. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Log said:

Don’t get me wrong. Rock/Roman is absolutely the match they should be doing while they can still do it. It’s just that, if you knew that was the match, why even do this stuff with Cody? 

I think it's pretty clearly, now in hindsight, a switch because of the Punk injury. They had Roman v Cody and Set v Punk penciled in while kind of kicking the can down the road with The Rock. That's why Cody was emphatically pointing at Roman after winning. And they were just going to try and get The Rock to boost a different show. But now no Punk all of a sudden a big marquee double feature turned into a one match show. (I mean that in promotion only, there's gonna be a bunch of good stuff booked).

Feel like I'm the only one on board with this switch. I think it makes Mania more interesting. Plus it avoids how big of a tantrum people were gonna throw when Cody lost again. Now Cody gets a Mania main event crowning World Title win. Roman gets closer to Bruno and The Rocky gets to put over his family in his last match ever. It's a win-win-win thing all around.

I think the kayfabe explanation got botched. Probably because Cody is legit hurt by all this and had trouble getting the story out. But he wants to take everything from Roman. So he's pressing the killswitch that will nuke The Bloodline. The infighting is gonna split up the group. Roman's gonna lose his crew, his family, and then World Champion will swoop in and take the last thing left, The WWE Title. In theory at least. I still think the penciled in idea is Roman breaking the Bruno reign. May of 2028 someone can finally beat him.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not 100% convinced that Cody challenges Seth instead. That promo made it sound like he wasn't going for Seth instead but that he was just waiting. Maybe sitting on the title shot until Summerslam

I'm thinking too that man, Priest having MitB is like an afterthought to an afterthought these days

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gunther should be the one to beat Roman. Just putting that on the record.

Then again I also would have put Punk over at the Rumble and he fucked his arm up in the process of that match, so.

Would love this to eventually happen 

I figure the big thing slowing down the speed of Gunther getting into a world title situation is the whole "can't leave the country" thing. But that's the one huge fight that they haven't had yet.

Anyways, getting a real "team seeing their contention window close without a title" vibe from Cody. Like watching a Josh Allen Bills team.

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think it's pretty clearly, now in hindsight, a switch because of the Punk injury. They had Roman v Cody and Set v Punk penciled in while kind of kicking the can down the road with The Rock. That's why Cody was emphatically pointing at Roman after winning. And they were just going to try and get The Rock to boost a different show. But now no Punk all of a sudden a big marquee double feature turned into a one match show. (I mean that in promotion only, there's gonna be a bunch of good stuff booked).

Feel like I'm the only one on board with this switch. I think it makes Mania more interesting. Plus it avoids how big of a tantrum people were gonna throw when Cody lost again. Now Cody gets a Mania main event crowning World Title win. Roman gets closer to Bruno and The Rocky gets to put over his family in his last match ever. It's a win-win-win thing all around.

I think the kayfabe explanation got botched. Probably because Cody is legit hurt by all this and had trouble getting the story out. But he wants to take everything from Roman. So he's pressing the killswitch that will nuke The Bloodline. The infighting is gonna split up the group. Roman's gonna lose his crew, his family, and then World Champion will swoop in and take the last thing left, The WWE Title. In theory at least. I still think the penciled in idea is Roman breaking the Bruno reign. May of 2028 someone can finally beat him.

This all rings 100% correct, but does not make any of it less thrown-together stupid and makes Cody look like a double geek, second place title or no. I would be very curious if Cody feels as though this is a win-win-win situation. 

"This title and its legacy is my whole life, and I struggled back to the top of the mountain by beating out 29 other WWE Superstars in front of the whole WWE Universe and actually, uh, now that I think about it, The Rock really would be better at this whole thing than me because it'll destroy your family! Nobody's ever done this before, but I am. Because it's SMART, actually. Brave when you think about it. But I'll be here! You just wait! I'll just be over here. When you least expect it - BAM! Just over here, working on my story. Just storying away. Lots of story left to tell. Many chapters."

Me, I do not care. It is just very, very funny. Real "that's okay, I'll still keep drinking that garbage" expectations of the fans. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Phantom Lord said:

Smackdown was good tonight. But man I feel for Cody Rhodes. When The Rock pulled him in and whispered into his ear, you could see Cody's heart rip in half.

Hail Hydra 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Smackdown was good tonight. But man I feel for Cody Rhodes. When The Rock pulled him in and whispered into his ear, you could see Cody's heart rip in half.

Hail Hydra.

Joking aside, if looks could kill when it showed Cody Rhodes face.

I can see Philadelphia shitting on Roman Reigns vs. The Rock at WrestleMania XL. Ironic it's the same city as the 2015 Royal Rumble when Roman Reigns and The Rock were booed out of the building. The Rock was legitimately shocked/pissed at said reaction.

• Like 2