DVDVR Message Board

2024 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Rest in Peace Bernard Hill.

Best known in the UK for playing Yosser Hughes in Boys from the Blackstuff, which chronicled the urban deprivation of Thatcher's Britain. Best known internationally for playing either the Captain in Titanic, or King Theoden in Lord of the Rings.

• Sad 1

The way Ian McKellan puts so much english when saying "Theoden King" Bernard Hill was practically a cueball

James

This feels like the official end of what is probably my favorite cultural era of any kind in any art: the drvie-in/B-movie era of American cinema from around 1950 to, well I guess, to yesterday.

I mean there are still cheap direct to tubi movies today I guess. But I don't think they are an extension of what he represented. With Roger's death, I think it's now a "historic genre."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

This feels like the official end of what is probably my favorite cultural era of any kind in any art: the drvie-in/B-movie era of American cinema from around 1950 to, well I guess, to yesterday.

I mean there are still cheap direct to tubi movies today I guess. But I don't think they are an extension of what he represented. With Roger's death, I think it's now a "historic genre."

I'm not quite so sure. He managed to move into digital realms with all the CGI monster movies and stay just as cheap, sleazy, and lowest-common-denominator. If it had his name, it was an extension, and if someone is putting out 1000 Gigantic Killer Spidersharks or whatever then there is still a derivative of Roger Corman floating around out there. Hell, if there is EXPLOITATION as CINEMA there will always be Roger Corman. He is the Big Bang for all of it, alongside William Castle, and probably going back a little further the Poverty Row films. You can't bury his influence. 

I love Roger, so much. Not just the directorial successes, whether I've seen them or not, like The Intruders or The Trip which I've still never watched. All the Poe films, especially The Masque of the Red Death (Fall and Pit were two of the first VHS tapes I ever owned). The Wild Angels, which I own the vinyl of the soundtrack to. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. And his productions? Death Race 2000. Humanoids from the Deep, which my parents took off my Xmas list and bought for me at the age of ten! Carnosaur, which I used my VHS copy of to allow a sampling of for a band's record one time. It's endless. He was the master. 

• Like 4

No one played a sexist, angry a-hole on TV and film than Dabney Coleman ...

What’s Great About Buffalo, New York - Dabney Coleman, 1983 “Buffalo Bill” (youtube.com)

Need to re-watch "Buffalo Bill" again ... one of the most underrated TV shows of the 80s.

The Slap Maxwell Story (ABC, 1987-88) Scene from the Pilot Episode (youtube.com)

A show I need to watch. ... heard nothing but good things about it.

Recess School's Out A Little Secret (youtube.com)

Also forgot (until just now) that he voiced Principal Prickly on Disney's "Recess." He was great in that role.

• Like 1