DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/3 - 1/9/2024 - The Show Must Joe On

Good a time as any to have another go at the exploding ring death match.

If they fuck it up again, it's an exercise in paring back Swerve's OTT sadistic side. 

"Drink my blood? Ha, I'm going to light a firework or two at you that may or may not go off."

• Haha 1

I'm not a big fan of Cole but his promo was fine as far as heels justifying their actions goes. Like everyone else, I think his insistence Wardlow wins and hands over the belt is stupid unless they have Wardlow explain that he doesn't care about the belt, he just wants to hurt MJF and take everything from him. That's still pretty dumb, but it would make more sense than what was initially said.

Swerve needs to keep his momentum going and Page losing makes him look like a chump, so I wonder if they do some sort of fuck finish where there's a bunch of interference to set up the next feud for either guy.

• Like 2

I half wonder if the way to go isn't to have someone (House of Black, Bullet Club Gold, Callis family, Cole's group) intervene forcing them to team and ride the wave of the crowd cheering for Swerve.

The other option is having Joe intervene since he wants to take out his top two challengers at once. 

• Like 4

Sheepherders and Fantastics did a barbed wire cage match. It was like planks of wood in between strands of wire. It was fine under Sheepherders standards. 

Really if they don't do NRBW it's gotta be a cage. Any other gimmick they could come up with? Glass tubes? Razor boards? I mean they really wouldn't go CZW/FREEDOMS/BJW gross, would they? Maybe a cinematic match? 

EDIT: OH SHIT I'VE GOT IT. TAKE THEM DOWN TO... ZONA 23!!!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

now if they had the entrance ramp, and the cage door was directly next to the ramp, then I guess Page could go through the door, and then run down the ramp, run through the door, and do the move

(would be helpful if this wasn't an Escape the Cage rules match)

I've got it. Take a page out of the Cowboy's playbook: Coal Miner's Glove on a Pole, Tuxedo, Loser Leaves Town Match 😄

Really though. Do a live feed from Zona 23 in Tultitlan. Let a bunch of scarred-up luchadors and drunk fans stand around yelling and using noisemakers while they throw each other into rusty wrecked cars. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

WWE and TNA did the stupid "barbed wire cage" where it was just rolls on the very top. CZW did something much cooler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNZh1TOsrc&ab_channel=CZW But I'm thinking just like, cross-strands of barbed wire making squares all the way up. They could make that, I'm sure.

WCW also had the crappy barbed wire cage when they did that Flair/Hogan first blood cage match that turned into a normal cage match because Flair bladed like 10 seconds in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forward roll into the lariat?

Heh, it would really be funny seeing him do a cartwheel into it

Well there was that one time when he did the move by vaulting over the ref’s back.

Honestly, “exploding barbed wire death match 2: we swear it will work this time” is the way to go.

• Like 1

I didn’t hate Darby vs Takeshita. Commercial break saved it. Darby is the best guy to take a dynamic heel’s offense. Only note would be that Takeshita did his little back roll headscissors deal too early in the opening stretch. Darby should have had to drive him to something so askew. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

really good promo from Adam Cole, took @MattD's words to heart and dropped the sing along Bay Bay and Storytime stuff

Like the narrative of a lot of guys going after the new champ

Christian said alot of nothing however

Darby finds out what happens when you find a stranger in the alps

We just ran the Trent wins a multiman to lose a title shot angle a month agon

Daddy Magic has me wanting him and Big Paul to be the permanent team on Rampage

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

unless i'm overestimating the amount of space you need for a Buckshot Lariat, a cage match that isn't a HIAC cage means no Buckshot from Page?

I recall the cage they used for Brit and Rosa was similar to the HIAC

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The whole idea of doing a Buckshot without the ropes reminds me of seeing a sunset flip from the 1930s that didn’t involve the ropes and how impressive that looked

Hell that is just a 1930 Code Red, innit? 

Here's another addition they could make to a cage (figured that one out too: Onita/Hayabusa had the BW cage), and that's those sparks they used to spray from the ceiling down at the ring. If they were REALLY crazy they could have a fire death match, which would probably be totally illegal in this country in all 50 states (cue "what about X state" talk). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hell that is just a 1930 Code Red, innit? 

Here's another addition they could make to a cage (figured that one out too: Onita/Hayabusa had the BW cage), and that's those sparks they used to spray from the ceiling down at the ring. If they were REALLY crazy they could have a fire death match, which would probably be totally illegal in this country in all 50 states (cue "what about X state" talk). 

how many tickets could AEW sell for a PPV in international waters off of Jacksonville?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! Island Death Match! Have them wrestle an entire day and into the night! First AEW Hawaiian show?!

presumably the fire match won't be on Maui

as for show matters, so if the Cole action keeps kinda-copying Christian's faction, then Britt Baker returns to turn heel and join the Undisputed as the designated next women's champion

although they probably should just have Britt show up with the Undisputed one week like it's somebody joining the NWO by walking out there with them in 1997

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

unless i'm overestimating the amount of space you need for a Buckshot Lariat, a cage match that isn't a HIAC cage means no Buckshot from Page?

That would be smart strategy on Swerve’s part, to explain why he wanted a Cage match.

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Random notes:

Hangman/Swerve is fine, but where do you go after a Texas Death Match?  I know if it was WWE where feuds run backwards, we'd get a straight wrestling match, but not here, right?

I'm asking that about this and Christian/Copeland. Where can they go from where they've gone so far?

• Like 2

That was my only negative note on the show - that the Cole/Wardlow thing was *just* done with Luchasaurus/Christian - otherwise, I felt this one was a real statement edition, not unlike what Garcia said in his promo.

All hail the New New Generation!

Also:

I was reminded of this talking w Natural in the monthly thread about being a day behind on the show this week - did any other YTTV users just not have this one on the DVR for whatever reason?? Someone there has to be a WWE fan because they are constantly screwing the AEW overruns and recordings up, and they'll put descriptions for random-ass movies for episodes of Impact. I ended up having to do a little Christopher cross - Sailing for this one and I was really annoyed.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Yes for Samoa Joe promo! Hangman vs Swerve with winner facing Joe should be really good. What will the stipulations be, though?

Takeshita vs Darby was wonderful, the 4-way for Eddie's Crown was an interesting combination of talent. OC vs Martin was obviously very good.

Ok, not a huge fan of Private Party but I absolutely have to see them vs Top Flight, to settle which one of the Young Bucks upsetting teams is the better one!

Good for Jay White to question Cole's methods, despite agreeing with the purpose.

Wardlow had to be like, not THIS shit again, when the title relinquishing came up, but I'm sure he won't sweat it. He'll just powerbomb the shit out of Cole when the time comes. I doubt he'll wait around to do it for as long as he did with MJF, though.

Ok, Luchasaurus, if that's your real name, time to grow some jurassic balls!

Toni Storm doesn't watch wrestling! That was hilarious!

May wins her debut but the real news is The Virtuosa!

Garcia vs Swerve ruled, as did the dance-off with Nana.

• Like 2