DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

“This man. Was locked in Soviet prisons. Where you have to fight. To survive. He learned. Moldovan Bare Knuckles fighting. The Russians knew. He was too dangerous. And they sent him. To America. To lay waste to their enemies”

Man, I didn't want to bring this back to boxing but this popped into my mind instantly. One of the biggest WTF moments (outside the sheer violence and inhumane amounts of punishment dished out) whenever I watch the infamous and spectacular James Toney vs. Vassiliy Jirov fight is when Jim Lampley specifically in the 7th round when the action heats back up goes on and on about Jirov's training in the old Soviet Union as a teenager. He talks about how Jirov's trainers use to lock him in a hallway with attack German shepherds and force him to fend for himself. Then, they would take him out on a boat miles from the shore and just drop him off in the water so he could swim back. I'm asking myself how did this man several years later end up training in Arizona under the tutelage of two old school black dudes like Tommy Brooks and Thell Torrence. He was born 20 years too late cause that is an amazing pro wrestling origin story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

no idea on how Watts would say "Archipelago".. Arky-peluh-go?

Imagine how he would say Aleksander Solzhenitsyn!

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Imagine how he would say Aleksander Solzhenitsyn!

he'd say it "that Russian defector I saw on the news 2 weeks ago" even if he wasn't on the news any time in recent memory

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 4

he'd say it "that Russian defector I saw on the news 2 weeks ago" even if he wasn't on the news any time in recent memory

I always thought a “Russian” defector angle would have gotten over in the 80’s, sadly Vince, Dusty and Watts never saw Moscow on the Hudson. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Nikita Koloff technically was a Russian defector, no?

When did he start being billed as “from Lithuania”? When he turned face after Magnums accident or later? 

12 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I always thought a “Russian” defector angle would have gotten over in the 80’s, sadly Vince, Dusty and Watts never saw Moscow on the Hudson. 

a shame we never got someone with the acting chops to claim that he defected from Russia and he knows the secret to stopping the Russian Sickle, only for Dick Murdoch to insist that the commie defector can't be trusted on his way to aligning with Ivan Koloff

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When did he start being billed as “from Lithuania”? When he turned face after Magnums accident or later? 

I don't think Lithuanian sovereignty became a thing until 1990, so it might have been just for the 91 run.

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Nikita Koloff technically was a Russian defector, no?

He was from the Soviet Union, and then he was from Lithuania after the Soviet Union broke up. Gary Cappetta used to ask American audiences to welcome him "In the spirit of Glasnost".

• Like 5

did they start billing Volkoff from Lithuania and did that happen before Koloff returned in 91?

They definitely billed Volkoff as from Lithuania; it was done to foreshadow his face turn. No idea if that was before or after Koloff.

The Gary Hart talk made me have to pull up this lovely promo again. "Hey bro, what it is!" and "That's dirty, Brooks!" have been in my head for years now. Watching it again, however, you realize they're talking about Mike Von Erich's shoulder separation, which led to the toxic shock, which led to the coma, which led to the suicide. Yeesh. And the guy Gary would find to complete his trio? In the words of NWA Champion Mr. Harley Race, "............KABUKI!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcEMaYt7R_s&ab_channel=herrrd

The Gary Hart talk made me have to pull up this lovely promo again. "Hey bro, what it is!" and "That's dirty, Brooks!" have been in my head for years now. Watching it again, however, you realize they're talking about Mike Von Erich's shoulder separation, which led to the toxic shock, which led to the coma, which led to the suicide. Yeesh. And the guy Gary would find to complete his trio? In the words of NWA Champion Mr. Harley Race, "............KABUKI!"

The trio was Gang, Brooks and Mark Lewin.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcEMaYt7R_s&ab_channel=herrrd

Love the “New McDLT” billboard in the background!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Great ML said:

The trio was Gang, Brooks and Mark Lewin.

Well, shit. I was taking a flying guess anyway. Lewin... well I suppose he could bleed well for them. The question now is, when did Kabuki show up? I'm not pulling up my .pdf of the Gary book this early.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

NOT RIGHT NOW MY MAN I'M DOING BUSINESS

• Haha 5

Saw this on Facebook 

Lexis King says #WWE wouldn’t let him use the Brian Pillman name in NXT. He tells Chris Van Vliet:

“I don’t wanna get into it, but it is my name, so when I go there, I was like, ‘hi, I’m Brian Pillman Jr,’ yada yada yada. Then they gave me the whole ‘you can’t keep your name’ kinda talk, and I was like, ‘well, I don’t wanna make it seem like that’s a bad thing,’ which it’s not. “

“You know, coming into it, I always fantasized about having my own wrestler name. Because my whole career I’ve had his name. My whole life I’ve had someone else’s name. I’ve been walking around with someone else’s name. Brian Pillman is a name that my father made, he made that name on his own. There’s not much I can add to it.”

What a bunch of goobers.

Bob Backlund held the WWF Championship twice: Once for 2,135 days, and once for 3 days. 

Are there any similar/bigger gaps between two reigns that the same person has held with the same title that you can think of?