DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

It has never been clearly stated, but Meltzer rightly called out that Guevara pinning Starks was obviously to set up a new tag-title match between Le Sex Gods and Starks/Bill.

And tbh, I suspect the plan was to put the belts on them. Maybe even on Wednesday, as they don't really have much announced.

Which is why whilst I sympathise with JJ above (I was going to write something like my last post yesterday but decided not to), the mob has spoken, and it affects things so it is what it is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

It has never been clearly stated, but Meltzer rightly called out that Guevara pinning Starks was obviously to set up a new tag-title match between Le Sex Gods and Starks/Bill.

Boy, who *EVER* could have seen that Jericho story coming?  

I don't think people would be so quick to judge Chris Jericho if he hadn't spent the last few years showing increasingly erratic behavior and support for others who have been credibly accused of sexual assault but never charged. Still doesn't mean he's guilty but this isn't happening in a vacuum

• Like 3

Society at large still struggles with the nature of sexual crimes. We have some bright people here but I don't think we're going to find the answer to how to handle them on a wrestling message board.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

Part of the madness of the internet wrestling world is the stirring and stirring of a nugget of information. I don't think us "asking questions" is doing anything to help the situation as there's now a whole thread giving credence to bare accusations. The right of both the accused and the alleged victim matter. My preference is to reserve judgment until more facts come out and get back to discussing wrestling. 

Beyond the Kylie Rae issue, Nick Hausman voiced that "a lot of people have been hurt" by Jericho during the video where he compared Jericho to Weinstein. Like it or not, and that is a vaguely broad claim, that's still a pretty significant allegation. And Hausman is a member of the media. It's not just Twitter conjecture that's driving all of this. 

This might be an odd example, but one situation where there was this weird allegation that somewhat had a resolution, I remember going back years ago there was this story going around that emerged that Megan Fox auditioned for Transformers at like 19 by going to Michael Bay's home and washing his car. I forget where the story started. I think it was a press junket or something. But people brought it up again during the #MeToo movement because Bay was viewed as a filmmaker who objectified young women and might've been displaying predatory behavior toward Megan Fox.

A few years ago, Fox addressed the story again and said her audition did not go the way of the original telling in a way that denies Bay doing displaying predatory or salacious. I think the story resurfaced because Fox was on Jimmy Kimmel and she talked about her brief onscreen role in Bad Boys II when she was only 15 years old and how Bay filmed her for the movie.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/megan-fox-not-preyed-upon-michael-bay-interview-viral-084444797.html?guccounter=1

Now, it's not like Bay was ever canceled or suffered significant damage as a result of the suspicions or allegations over the original story. Also, not saying Bay is completely innocent in the matter either. But after Fox made these comments, everyone kind of moved on from Bay. 

Why hasn't Nick Hausman elaborated on his "Jericho is like Weinstein" remark? As a journalist, shouldn't he be vocal if he knows a crime had been committed?

Jericho isn't much of a sympathetic figure. I think he made an Hausman made an offhand remark on a podcast to pop people and it took a life on its own. All these people have left AEW over the years and no one has ever hinted at this or that Jericho is some kind of predator. Lots of female talent have left and nothing has been said about Jericho. People are jumping on finding out about AEW and NDAs and fantasy booking sexual assault, which is pretty gross.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Feels like there’s a one show storyline about the whole “Jericho doesn’t just get his title shot by putting Sammy in for Omega” thing

Which means a battle royal probably where Jericho/Sammy win and officially earn the title shot.

Now if they got the Bucks off of their sabbatical to either cost Jericho/Sammy or win back the title shots, then

25 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Why hasn't Nick Hausman elaborated on his "Jericho is like Weinstein" remark? As a journalist, shouldn't he be vocal if he knows a crime had been committed?

I said this the other day here (and was actually banned from fucking reddit for saying it there, apparently media literacy is bad?) I think it's worth examining the source and their possible motivations. I had never even heard of this Hausman guy until the muffin man scrum. Doesn't make what happened or didn't happen any more or less true on its own, of course - but it seems nuts to me that the connection there hasn't given even the slightest pause to anyone running with this.

• Like 3

I presume it's because the accusation isn't all that surprising, given Jericho's behavior and/or the personal choices he has made in the last few years.

It's probably not outlandish to think there are some people trying to take him down now, especially after all the Jan 6 stuff cam e out 

Nick Hausman somewhat walking his statements back as not having heard anything and just dislikes him about 2:55 in. 
I’d say listen to this before jumping one way or the other. He says he didn’t say anything specific and was just stating his feelings. This isn’t to negate anything other people did or did not comment on or heart emoji. 
🤷🏻‍♂️

All kind of fucked up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I can't watch videos at work but twitter is screaming that Hausman backtracked today and said he was taken out of context (I can't watch the clip to form my own opinion, that just seems to be the vibe). So anyone waiting for him to drop the other shoe after comparing Jericho to Weinstein, it sounds like he did the opposite. Its very possible he was just spewing shit on a podcast because he has beef with AEW and doesn't like Jericho, as if he had something thing else to follow up with now would have been the time. Wonder if he got a sternly worded letter since Friday.

It still leaves the Kylie situation as unresolved/unclear but if she says nothing else about it there really isn't much else that can be done unless more information comes out later.

• Like 2

Jericho hasn't done himself any favors lately. There was no reason for him to act erratic and start drunk tweeting on Christmas Day about Brawl Out, Stephen P. New, and CM Punk. There was absolutely no reason for him to revisit that situation at that point especially when it was over and done with and everybody had moved on. Also, it was f'n Christmas morning. What the hell was he doing he needed to get in a social media shouting match with a lawyer? 

Why did he choose that time to speak out about the incident that happened over a year earlier? Especially when he kept his mouth shut forever about it. He was on Howie Mandell's podcast and they tried to talk about Brawl Out and he was tongue-tied and didn't offer any details then.  And that's just one example. There have been others. But that incident is when Nick Hausman first responded to him, implying Jericho has had people sign NDAs. 

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wonder if that hypothetical “Golden Jets get a tag team title shot” specifies facing Starks/Bill. It would be kinda silly if it did but also a good way out of having Jericho/Omega wrestle for the tag belts if their title shot went away when Starks/Bill lose the belts.

They explicitly won the title shot that the Young Bucks earned on 1 Oct 2023. Since Starks and Bill weren't champions until 8 Oct, it would be odd if the shot had that caveat attached.

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Jericho hasn't done himself any favors lately. There was no reason for him to act erratic and start drunk tweeting on Christmas Day about Brawl Out, Stephen P. New, and CM Punk. There was absolutely no reason for him to revisit that situation at that point especially when it was over and done with and everybody had moved on. Also, it was f'n Christmas morning. What the hell was he doing he needed to get in a social media shouting match with a lawyer? 

Why did he choose that time to speak out about the incident that happened over a year earlier? Especially when he kept his mouth shut forever about it. He was on Howie Mandell's podcast and they tried to talk about Brawl Out and he was tongue-tied and didn't offer any details then.  And that's just one example. There have been others. But that incident is when Nick Hausman first responded to him, implying Jericho has had people sign NDAs. 

You can be Hausman's character witness when Jericho sues the shit out of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not a lawyer but I think even if Hausman was just bullshitting I don't think Jericho/AEW would be interested in a legal case if he knocks it off. Even though on paper it was worse than what the average person says on twitter since Hausman is media-ish, I doubt it would be worth going through the entire legal process, having witnesses, etc. for a case they may not win anyway if his comment was seen as too off-the-cuff to be damaging. I assume their great preference would be for it to just 'go away', not be in the news for the next six months as the legal process marches on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

@Lawful Metalcan an NDA be sued to quiet someone regarding a criminal act like sexual assault?

Keep in mind no one has accused Jericho of sexual assault, not even the tweet that Kylie hearted accused him of that. I think this is one of those things where the story gets changed down the line.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Octopus said:

@Greggulator has made good posts on legal junk and reporting stuff. I’d like your thoughts if he had the willingness and time. @Elsalvajeloco too. 👍

Well, folks have already shredded Mr. Hausman before I could. However, I would like to add that I am safely assuming someone formally reached out regarding providing concrete evidence to allegations and no one could provide anything. If no one will go on the record, then it's useless and also detrimental especially if you start evoking certain names. 

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm not a lawyer but I think even if Hausman was just bullshitting I don't think Jericho/AEW would be interested in a legal case if he knocks it off. Even though on paper it was worse than what the average person says on twitter since Hausman is media-ish, I doubt it would be worth going through the entire legal process, having witnesses, etc. I assume their great preference would be for it to just 'go away', not be in the news for the next six months as the legal process marches on.

AEW? No. Jericho? Probably worth it especially Hausman won't publicly admit he fucked up. It's out there now. Certain allegations just don't go away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AEW? No. Jericho? Probably worth it especially Hausman won't publicly admit he fucked up. It's out there now. Certain allegations just don't go away.

I'm just grouping them together, if Jericho wanted to and AEW said "please don't" I think he's enough of a company guy to let it go. I do think the allegations will go away and only be mentioned by the 5% that already hated AEW and/or Jericho anyway. So it'll go away as much as the January 6th/pro conspiracy theory stuff will that is brought up weekly on social media. The accusations were too vague, even the bulk of twitter seems to have turned on Hausman.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Nick Hausman somewhat walking his statements back as not having heard anything and just dislikes him about 2:55 in. 
I’d say listen to this before jumping one way or the other. He says he didn’t say anything specific and was just stating his feelings. This isn’t to negate anything other people did or did not comment on or heart emoji. 
🤷🏻‍♂️

All kind of fucked up. 

If this dude stirred all this shit up because of "just asking questions," he should be blackballed. Period.

If you think that's a "Wreddit-level take," you may want to inform yourself a little more on media ethics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm just grouping them together, if Jericho wanted to and AEW said "please don't" I think he's enough of a company guy to let it go. I do think the allegations will go away and only be mentioned by the 5% that already hated AEW and/or Jericho anyway. So it'll go away as much as the January 6th/pro conspiracy theory stuff will that is brought up weekly on social media. The accusations were too vague, even the bulk of twitter seems to have turned on Hausman.

You're probably right but here is where journalistic responsibility should come in at. It's not like Jericho is random indy wrestler #7719. He is one of the most recognizable people in AEW. If you as a media member intentionally chose to be vague to escape accountability but dropped enough breadcrumbs so it seems like you had a giant scoop, how are people to suppose to take that? This goes especially if you do it right before a major AEW event. You're going to get called to the carpet.

That said, I think Hausman got some type of legal notice in his inbox just send a fright into him and changed course quickly.

• Like 3

There are issues with Chris behind the scenes, where I know a lot of people who were hurt by Chris and his actions. You know, it’s very uncomfortable to me to see him lauded like he is and only having the focus on that, because I do think there are a lot of questionable stories about Chris that will find their way out over time when people are ready to tell those stories, that will cast him in a very different light.

I mean, Harvey Weinstein won a lot of Oscars, Harvey Weinstein produced a lot of very popular films. Harvey Weinstein is now in jail … I’m not saying that is happening to Chris, but the narrative can quickly turn if you’re hiding a lot of skeletons in your closet.

I wanted to see what Hausman said to get this kicked off and it was this plus the NDA tweet, a twitter account called ISO Wrestling started connecting it to other things and it grew from there. He tries to couch what he says as opinion but if you fancy yourself a wrestling journalist you need to be far more explicit about that because people will assume you're reporting facts

• Like 5