DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK SIXTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

17 hours ago, hammerva said:

The Pickens comment is also a pain because this isn't the only time a Steelers WR has been questioned about his laziness in the last month.  But at least Diontae Johnson was smart enough to tell the reporter that he should tried harder on the play and didn't make excuses.  Hasn't stopped his way of play though.   

I thought Mike Tomlin was a guy that gets the best out of everyone and guys always play hard? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bleacher Report's Jordan Schultz is on the "No shit, Sherlock" beat.

He's reporting the LA Chargers are interested in hiring Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan. 

He's been listening to me. If he leaves Michigan after this season, Harbaugh goes to the Chargers. Take it to the bank. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:47 AM, Tabe said:

Hilarious. There was never a chance he was going to play. 

Maybe.  But I think it’s more likely everyone took another look at the situation after the Jets dropped out of playoff contention and thought better of the whole thing.  I said several weeks back that I thought it was a huge risk to put Rodgers under center on a weak leg that is just barely strong enough to get him cleared.  It may be worth taking that risk if he wants to play and the Jets were fighting for a playoff spot or seeding.  Since they’re not, it seems like it would be a bad decision for anyone - Rodgers, Jets management, his doctors - to recommend running him out there.

i don’t get the takes on Rodgers. Sure, maybe the Twitter mobs are right, and Rodgers hatched some sort of ‘James Bond villain’ plan to keep the spotlight on himself by pretending he wanted to get back and play (which isn’t really up to him in the first place), but it seems more likely Rodgers and Saleh dangled the possibility of returning this year to try to motivate the team.

I think Saleh gets another year unless Rodgers doesn’t want to work with him.  But, yeah, this team looks like a lot more than one Aaron Rodgers away from the playoffs. Convincing fans and media this team was one star QB away from the Super Bowl was a PT Barnum-worthy sales job.

• Like 1

Defense is solid. Offensive line needs help (and to stay healthy for an entire season), and they whiffed badly on upgrading the WR2 position. 

If Rodgers wants to stick around, fine. Asking his opinion on who to bring in again next season should be 100% off the table. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Defense is solid. Offensive line needs help (and to stay healthy for an entire season), and they whiffed badly on upgrading the WR2 position. 

If Rodgers wants to stick around, fine. Asking his opinion on who to bring in again next season should be 100% off the table. 

And of course, the counter to that argument, which the Jets will 100% buy into:

4d513702d6041.image.jpg?resize=363,500

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

But it did give people the opportunity to talk about Aaron Rodgers all year, which is really all Aaron Rodgers could ask for.

ESPN and NBC might even be secretly relieved the injury gave them free reign to talk about Aaron Rodgers in a vacuum of hypotheticals without any pesky Decline In Onfield Performance getting in the way of their production notes

• Like 1

Speaking of Turf

The Vikings announced they will be switching the artificial surface they play on

U.S. Bank Stadium, the home of the Minnesota Vikings, will become the latest NFL facility to replace its playing surface with a version of artificial turf that rates better in injury data.

The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, which owns and operates the stadium, approved a $1.3 million bid for the project Thursday. It will replace the slit-film turf, which is associated with the highest rate of lower extremity noncontact injuries among the types of artificial turfs used in NFL stadiums, based on data compiled by the NFL and NFL Players Association's joint surfaces committee. In its place, the MSFA will install a monofilament version called Act Global Xtreme Turf DX.

The work will begin in February and be ready in time for the 2024 season.

The Vikings will install the same surface at their indoor practice facility, according to Steve Poppen, the team's executive vice president and chief business administration officer. The Vikings were heavily involved in selecting the winning bid, along with the MSFA and ASM, the company that manages the stadium.

Teams began replacing slit-film turf last winter after the NFL/NFLPA data showed a small increase in the rate of injuries that could be attributed to playing surfaces. Three stadiums continued with slit-film this season: The Indianapolis Colts' Lucas Oil Stadium, the Cincinnati Bengals' Paycor Stadium and U.S. Bank Stadium. The Colts also plan to change their turf in 2024.

The Vikings opted against an immediate replacement last winter, vice president of player health and performance Tyler Williams said, to ensure an orderly selection process. The warranty for the current surface, installed in 2019, will expire after this season.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Rams are starting to play better at the right time. If they draw the Lions in the first round, Detroit better not Detroit things away.

Bring Stafford to Ford Field - no problem! He has a proven history of not beating playoff teams there. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 10:48 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Have we considered that maybe Derek Carr is just not a good QB.

Yes,  I've stated here multiple times that I'd rather have Jameis' recklessness over Carr's complete and total risk aversion. Interceptions are bad,  but not as bad as not trying to make a play because you might make a mistake. Mistakes are part of the process,  and if you aren't willing to risk making a mistake you're probably going to fail in most things,  but especially as a quarterback. 

• Like 1

I knew the Steelers would keep the bullshit alive this season but not 24-0 in the 1st.  

if you hate Christmas puns then avoid Steelers fans cause you will probably hear "Rudolph saves Christmas"  a couple dozen times 😌

Edited by hammerva