DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK SIXTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

I’ve been saying that the Dolphins are the 1 team that does what works and doesn’t ever get to cute but that’s not the case today. I don’t know what they’re thinking. They got 7 YDs on that last first down run then didn’t even run it again. Before that they ran up the middle and competed basic passes to Hill all the way to the redzone and didn’t try either again.

It's a Christmas Miracle in Denver!? Holy shit, my family had given up and the room just exploded as they tied this game!

Edit: And now my brother in law who had given up and then got excited , is all despondent. Lol.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It's a Christmas Miracle in Denver!? Holy shit, my family had given up and the room just exploded as they tied this game!

Edit: And now my brother in law who had given up and then got excited , is all despondent. Lol.

Don't ask for whom the miracle tolls

• Haha 2

On 12/23/2023 at 11:09 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Having both Gabe Davis & George Pickens on my bench in my fantasy football playoffs, not ideal.

My opponent having Amari Cooper who scored 51.5, not ideal. Also not ideal, having The Browns kicker who left the game on my active roster. Also also not ideal, having Calvin Riddley & Jordan Love on my bench.

Purdy / Deebo / Barkley / Darren Waller (yeah right) need to go off for me to stand any sort of chance. The fantasy football gods have bestowed a week of great shame upon me. At least Miami beat those damn dirty Cowboys.

the Chiefs look like ass today.  they are lucky the Raiders is a lot worse

Nothing describes this game more than Isiah Pacheco getting kneed in the back of his head when his helmet fell off and then when he sits on a table to get checked it breaks on him 😖

Edited by hammerva

Made it interesting. But boy is Darren Waller not that guy. What was he doing on that last drive? I get that he was roughed up. But you're right on your own boundary. You could have got over there and tossed the ball to someone. He had zero effort or awareness. The Eagles did not shake their slump in the way this one ended. They just barely scraped by a 5 win team with QB issues.

8 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Well, safe to say Purdy just played his way out of the MVP conversation tonight.

It's starting to feel like Lamar might be the only viable choice with the way every other contender has had at least one December game they just looked terrible.

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's starting to feel like Lamar might be the only viable choice with the way every other contender has had at least one December game they just looked terrible.

If they give Lamar Jackson the MVP this year, they might as well give it to him every year, because this has been about as average of a Lamar Jackson season possible.  He's been good, but there isn't anything special about this year as opposed to any other year of his career.  He's kind of just doing his job.  

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If they give Lamar Jackson the MVP this year, they might as well give it to him every year, because this has been about as average of a Lamar Jackson season possible.  He's been good, but there isn't anything special about this year as opposed to any other year of his career.  He's kind of just doing his job.  

As I said, there's a lack of viable candidates (at least assuming the voters aren't going to suddenly to stop voting nothing but quarterbacks.)

Everybody else has had at least one truly miserable game in December except Josh Allen, who had a pretty rough first half of the season.

Tyreek Hill was making a case to be the first wide receiver to ever win it, but I'm pretty sure the injury put paid to that. CMC has been great, but great enough to overcome the QB bias?

Jackson is playing well and currently they have the best record in the NFL, and QB of a top five or so team is pretty much the bare minimum requirement to win it.

Mostly, if it's not Jackson, then who?

On 12/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Btw I'm in Cleveland right now. The news said Amari is 15 yards away from being the first WR in franchise history(!) to have back to back 1000 yd seasons.  That's....insane.

I am surprised that neither Dave Logan, Reggie Rucker (Sipe years), Webster Slaughter nor Reggie Langhorne (Kosar years) pulled off that feat.  

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As I said, there's a lack of viable candidates (at least assuming the voters aren't going to suddenly to stop voting nothing but quarterbacks.)

Everybody else has had at least one truly miserable game in December except Josh Allen, who had a pretty rough first half of the season.

Tyreek Hill was making a case to be the first wide receiver to ever win it, but I'm pretty sure the injury put paid to that. CMC has been great, but great enough to overcome the QB bias?

Jackson is playing well and currently they have the best record in the NFL, and QB of a top five or so team is pretty much the bare minimum requirement to win it.

Mostly, if it's not Jackson, then who?

The best two players in football this year have been Tyreek Hill and CMC, no one else should be in consideration.  Everything their teams do is possible because every defense has to account for them on every play.  

My point about Lamar is less about everyone else and more about Lamar.  This does not feel like a great Lamar Jackson season, even though they run the "we have Lamar" offense.  He's been great, but not in the way that usually wins you an MVP.  I think his best performance was week 4 against the Browns.  I was reading after the game that the Browns defense played better than every defense that week, but if you watched the game Lamar just kept doing shit that nobody else could do.  He won that game pretty much by himself because you can do everything perfectly, and Lamar can still beat you.  He is the best example of Cam Newton's "game-breaker" point in the NFL.  He's undefendable because you can't possibly account for everything he can do on every play.  That said, he only has 19 TDs, which isn't an MVP number.  Here is the list of quarterbacks who currently have 19 TDs, Derek Carr, Trevor Lawrence, Sam Howell, and Lamar Jackson.  No one thinks any of those guys are having a good season, they've all been pretty bad.  If he wins MVP, playing like he's played this year, what do you do when he's putting up stats?  I'm not saying he won't win the MVP, but this has been a fair to middling Lamar season.  He's their entire offense, they have the best record in the AFC, and at no point this entire year has he felt like he's been out of 2nd gear.  We do not have to give the MVP to a quarterback every season, especially when the most deserving quarterback is going to throw fewer than 25 TDs in 17 games.