DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 11/7 - 11/12/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Smackdown will air on Fridays on USA Network. Those two hours of SD over three for RAW is better for viewer retention.

I dunno where RAW will end up. Meltzer said FX or even on WBD or USA. The long-running show doesn't have to air on Mondays either anymore.  

I expect new sets for the shows next year, and SD probably gets the RAW style camera setup.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Like having NXT alternate between the Performance Center and smaller markets with minor league hockey arenas (Savannah, Greenville, North Charleston, Fort Myers, Wheeling, Toledo).. several of those places have had recent AEW shows too. Coincidentally.

ECHL fan? lol  I work for Wheeling's squad.

2 minutes ago, Peck said:

ECHL fan? lol  I work for Wheeling's squad.

The one pro sports team that's physically in my town is an ECHL team (it's the Mavericks whose arena hosted the AEW Tuesday Night show a few weeks ago) but I don't really follow it much aside from following the team's Twitter account. One of my HS classmates is married to the former HC of the Mavericks but I don't know if I could have gotten comped tickets through that connection.

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The one pro sports team that's physically in my town is an ECHL team (it's the Mavericks whose arena hosted the AEW Tuesday Night show a few weeks ago) but I don't really follow it much aside from following the team's Twitter account. One of my HS classmates is married to the former HC of the Mavericks but I don't know if I could have gotten comped tickets through that connection.

I just chuckled because you rattled off 6 ECHL towns in a row. lol   My boss was actually out there in KC over the weekend before he got back to Wheeling for our game Sunday. I did notice AEW was out there. And I'm pretty sure WWE was in Wichita within the past few weeks which is another ECHL barn(and KC's big rival)

1 minute ago, Peck said:

I just chuckled because you rattled off 6 ECHL towns in a row. lol   My boss was actually out there in KC over the weekend before he got back to Wheeling for our game Sunday. I did notice AEW was out there. And I'm pretty sure WWE was in Wichita within the past few weeks which is another ECHL barn(and KC's big rival)

AEW was in Wichita last weekend for Collison. One thing that might be messing with AEW attendances is how often they end up running towns close to when the WWE runs there but it's probably hard to go deep into that without being accused to whining. It's something i've noticed with how Dynamite would be in Independence very close to when the WWE is in KC.

But anyways, I was looking at the ECHL Wikipedia page running down that list since I wasn't entirely sure if Macon, GA was still in the Minor League hockey business and I was looking for some places reasonably close to Florida.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

AEW was in Wichita last weekend for Collison. One thing that might be messing with AEW attendances is how often they end up running towns close to when the WWE runs there but it's probably hard to go deep into that without being accused to whining. It's something i've noticed with how Dynamite would be in Independence very close to when the WWE is in KC.

But anyways, I was looking at the ECHL Wikipedia page running down that list since I wasn't entirely sure if Macon, GA was still in the Minor League hockey business and I was looking for some places reasonably close to Florida.

Macon is in the SPHL, one league below the ECHL. Although the SPHL does have some arenas that are comparatively sized to the ECHL that would look good on a nationally televised wrestling broadcast. 

6 minutes ago, Peck said:

Macon is in the SPHL, one league below the ECHL. Although the SPHL does have some arenas that are comparatively sized to the ECHL that would look good on a nationally televised wrestling broadcast. 

Looking at Wikipedia and Smackdown is in Evanville next week. But yeah places like Huntsville and Knoxville and Macon and Roanoke and the Quad Cities are definitely places that have hosted no shortage of wrestling.

Drop a level (or so) below the SPHL and you get the FPHL which has teams in Baton Rouge, Winston-Salem, Columbus GA, Biloxi. So plenty of smallish arenas available for NXT (or AEW Collision).

Then there's the arena called the Big Boy Arena in the Detroit area which seats 3300 if a wrestling show wants to book a place that's probably the American equivalent to an Ontario Hockey League rink.

For NXT touring, they're kind of back to their old coconut loop in Florida but some touring outside of that would be good. I agree that smaller venues would be best. When NXT would come to Milwaukee, they would run Turner Ballroom which is probably 700-800 people with the ring setup. Venues with that capacity would be good. Their big shows seems to be in cities that are close to large ones (Bakersfield, Cedar Hill, etc) so that kinda checks out.

Tozawa/Dar was fun.

Xia showing up to challenge Lyra was unexpected but welcome.

Stratton/Fallon was a good showcase for both women. Loved seeing Tiffany toss Fallon out of the ring the ways he did. Was both scary and impressive.

Bron/Wagner was nice with some surprising stuff from both guys and good intensity at times. 

Roxanne/Kelani vs. Elektra/Lola wa ssolid though a bit loose at times. Arianna Grace doing some announcing in the beginning and end was amusing. I suspect Karmen's attack was more of a heel move to the crowd than they were expecting. I hope they run with it since Petrovic feels wrong as a face

Otis/Drew was pretty fun for Drew's bumping and Otis's general movements. That pop up powerbomb at the end looked fantastic.

Bate/Dijak was good though I continue to wonder if they will ever figure out what to do with Bate with NXT Europe seemingly not being a thing.

The final segment with Trick and Melo was solid until Lexis King came out. Thought his mic work here was weaker than what he did in the previous weeks during Halloween Havoc. I do like the idea of him as a manipulator and probably the one who attacked Trick.

Nothing blow away great, but most everything was fun and enjoyable in and out of the ring. Glad to see Stratton make it into this year's Iron Survivor. Always felt weird how she missed last year's considering how far ahead of the pack she felt back then. Will be interesting to see who joins her. Less enthused about Dijak though I know he will be good at the very least. Will be fun to see who joins both, especially with the legend choices hinting towards potential surprises like we saw last year with Kiana James joining. 

I have to say that I'm so impressed with Lexi King so far. Brian Pillman Jr. in AEW was the dregs. He was so complete uninteresting in terms of personality and in-ring. I had no idea this was coming. 

It's so weird because the guy he reminds me of the most right now? He's doing an era appropriate version of his dad's Loose Cannon shtick. We're not in the time period where he's going to do the "bookerman" stuff but he's breaking out as a chaos agent stirring the pot to skip the line.

"YOU HAVE TOO MUCH GLITTER." - Kevin Owens forever, dude.
Running the telestrater like that - Kevin Owens forever, dude.

Cedric and Dragon Lee was a lot of fun too. Really into this super version of Damage CTRL too. Was interesting too that Dakota was in on Kairi showing up but not telling Bayley. If this setting up women's war games, definitely curious who the 4th will be for the babyface side.

Carlito/Lashley was solid. Was more about the long coming Santos turn angle pre and post match. Thought they maybe gave it all a bit too much time, but what I caught wasn't bad. Rey kind of did steal Santos's title shot so he wasn't exactly wrong.

Dragon/Cedric was another fun match between the two.

Knight/Waller was pretty solid. Dug the post match stuff with owens, Waller, & Theory.

The Damage Ctrl. segment was decent. I enjoyed Bayley clearly being a bit worried about Kairi. Kairi giving Bayley her respect and and forgiveness while still looking at Bayley as someone to murder when they least expects it was fun to see.

Io/Bayley/Kairi vs. Bianca/Charlotte/Asuka had some fun moments but wasn't anything close to what it could have been. I found myself ok with that though if only because the actual ending with Asuka turning on her teammates to join Io & Kairi. The crowd reaction to the hugging was wonderful. Its always amusing to see a crowd celebrate such a moment and then go back to booing once they remember these are heels out to destroy their favorite faces.

The matches were generally fun but nothing special. Waller/Knight was probably the best match with other stuff feeling a bit too loose and/or off compared to what they could be. Didn't feel like as much happened as normal with 3/4 matches being tied to other segments in the night and taking up such large portions of the show as a result. Owens was fun on commentary with occasionally decent insight though he clearly wasn't prepared for it. Good of him to fill in so Graves could spend time with Carmella and their new baby. I do love the new super version of Damage Crtl. and how it came together. You just know Bayley is getting ousted at some point, but for now what we have is not a bad setup for a potential War Games match if they go that route. Will be interesting to see who joins the faces. In truth I originally was expecting Bayley to be ousted from DC and someone from NXT (Blair, Cora, ec.) to join the new version. Looking at current names on Smackdown's roster, I'm not sure they have anyone who would make sense or make much of a splash to join the face side.

• Like 1

SDL was a fun show, Owens on commentary really made the night for me

Lashley/Carlito was fine for what it was, the real treats were the Street Prophets heeling it up into the floor cam. The suits, the taunting, the running commentary, all great stuff. It's taking forever for Santos to go full rudo but I am looking forward to it

Lee/Alexander was great from what we were shown. Sometimes Dragon's mask gives me Command Bolshoi vibes

LA Knight's greatest move was giving the audience Yeah to say instead of What. Even if it persists after LA at least the audience would be agreeing with the wrestler doing a promo instead of trolling them. Waller stinks, no idea why he was called up so early

Main event was good although a little loose in parts and the crowd took a minute to get into it. Good to see Kairi back! Asuka joining Damage Ctrl is an interesting twist and really puts the group in a new era, looking forward to seeing how that evolves

• Like 1

I don't know where Grayson Waller was in the WWE food chain when they changed Walter to Gunther, but after seeing Waller and having to double-check a few times, I'm suspecting they wouldn't have had a Waller and a WALTER on the roster at the same time and that one of them was gonna change a name