DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 11/7 - 11/12/2023

Dolfan in NYC

The most fun thing about this upcoming WARGAMES~ match, is that that all 8 members have completely and totally legitimate reasons to turn on, and beat the fuck out of, everyone on their respective teams.

• Like 2

New Day vs. Finn/Priest was good.

Nakamura/Tozawa was a fun competitive squash with Tozawa getting to show off a decent bit before the killshot came.

Miz vs. Ivar vs. Ricochet vs. Reed was pretty damn good aside from the ugly finish. Not sure what went on wrong there, but they at least moved on quick enough with Ivar's post match attack. That had to be the most cheers Miz have gotten in years. The coming matches with Ivar & Gunther should be fun.

Creeds vs. DIY was pretty solid though a match that felt like it was happening too early considering how new both teams are to Raw. Still a nice showcase for both, and Kaiser interference at least gives DIY some protection from the loss.

The women's battle royal was decent. Never been big on these outside of the Royal Rumble variants. There is just always too many people in the ring at once. Still thought they did a decent job of showcasing the newer women. Xia Li's attack on Becky pre-match to remove Becky was a good heel move. Kind of dug Xia actually paying for it with her shot in being taken away. The KCs showed of some nice team work. Ivy got in some good eliminations. Chelsea was a little shit and paid for it. Even Nia was used pretty well here as the heel everyone hated. She made the most of that with dick moves from the beginning to the end. Her elimination might have been the hottest the crowd was all night save the main event. Stark as the eventual winner was fine. 

Sami/Seth was good. Loved how behind Sami the crowd was. They never booed Seth, but they made it clear who they wanted to win here. Dug the flash pin ending it. Was nice to get a clean finish before the post match chaos to set up War Games.

Several good matches and plenty of stories moving forward in and out of the ring. Good show.

• Like 1

Awesome women's battle royal. Actually had multiple legit possible outcomes and advanced several stories at once, Ivy got put over big with her performance in her first night, and even Tegan got some shine. I thought it'd be either Nia or Raquel winning it, but I'm thrilled for Zoey to get it. Zoey got me back in to watching nxt a couple years back so I always dig seeing her have success.

This was a pretty decent show. Friends that went said the crowd was hot all night, and I’d hope they would be getting a random Sami/Rollins match. 

It’s always funny that they refuse to say they’re in Wilkes-Barre, only saying the arena name as the location instead. 

Edited by YouHaveUntil5

is Scranton-Wilkes Barre not prestigious enough either?

the one WarGames thing I'd like to see them being back this year that they probably won't is... no pinfalls. At least for the men's match. I don't know how many good submission moves there are among those 8 guys but end the match with Dom or JD surrendering to Cody

Now that Ric Flair's in another company, will Cody use a figure-four that is closer to how Dusty applied it (no spinning toe hold setup)... i'm guessing the gap between the rings isn't there so no Arn Anderson spot.

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

is Scranton-Wilkes Barre not prestigious enough either?

As ridiculous as this sounds, part of me wonders if they’re worried about saying it incorrectly since some people say “Wilkes-Barry”, others “Wilkes-Bear” and others still “Wilkes-Bar”. 

Even when they showed the Eagles belt, they said they were in Pennsylvania (which I don’t think they had said until then) but never said where. 

Speaking of things that haven't been said in a long, long time... They sent well wishes to  ERIK Ivar of the Viking Raiders. 

He's apparently gone through successful neck fusion surgery and is recovering.  

I think this is the first time since, I dunno Kurt Angle?...  that they've acknowledged the injury was a neck related one that required surgery.  Though from what I understand, hopefully Ivar didn't go to the same doctor as Angle did that time. 😕

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
I cannot tell white people apart.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Speaking of things that haven't been said in a long, long time... They sent well wishes to Ivar of the Viking Raiders. 

I think this is the first time since, I dunno Kurt Angle?...  that they've acknowledged the injury was a neck related one that required surgery.  Though from what I understand, hopefully Ivar didn't go to the same doctor as Angle did that time. 😕

Erik. Ivar is the big guy.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Speaking of things that haven't been said in a long, long time... They sent well wishes to Ivar of the Viking Raiders. 

Big E? 

• Sad 1

In the realm of perceptions, is it better to be a developmental show or a B show? I know that they've said that NXT isn't a developmental show and it's own brand for the 4 years it's been on USA but well..

Considering that NXT shows are not in a large attendance venue, if they actually left the nest at least occasionally, that would represent a boost in attendance. Not sure if being able to see NXT would lead people to attend shows that likely wouldn't have any NXT people on them but it's possible.

(edit: being able to lean into "the WWE is in your general area soon" commercials while on a broadcast station couldn't hurt though, or leaning harder than you could on cable)

As i've typed in another thread, i'm a little skeptical about NXT on CW because there's a cycle that happens with wrestling shows and broadcast networks and we might see that cycle again here.

Edited by Cobra Commander

It's not my money and I don't know the costs involved but it would make sense for them to start off with having half the shows in arenas and half the shows in Orlando just to see if the show can draw any as a stand-alone product or if it'll be like WWECW which they quickly figured out wasn't gonna draw on it's own. Or when they figured out that they couldn't have Shotgun Saturday Night as a stand-alone show.

Plus there's other shows they're taping in that same setup that still need to be taped and could piggyback off of NXT Orlando tapings to fill up those shows.

NXT would be better off in their Orlando nest than being taped just before Raw or Smackdown in front of a bunch of dead crowds.

There's one rando on Twitter who I read that hates the Orlando crowds by now and i'm sure there's a few other people with that POV. So there are upsides to running the show outside of the WWE version of the Impact Zone but they're gonna need to pick the right buildings.

As someone who has been going through 1987 JCP where you can figure out quickly that the crowds are better on Worldwide/Pro than at Techwood (but I can understand why the Saturday show was at Techwood instead of going on the road), if you could put NXT in arenas with good crowds, it'd be better than having it in the same place every week.

But the WWE is the sort of place where they don't say the names of some cities they're in, so would they dial it down to put televised NXT in buildings that NXT would draw in. If you go through a list of various smaller TV markets, i'm sure there's some good arenas which could work for this idea.

Like having NXT alternate between the Performance Center and smaller markets with minor league hockey arenas (Savannah, Greenville, North Charleston, Fort Myers, Wheeling, Toledo).. several of those places have had recent AEW shows too. Coincidentally.

I've definitely heard that the NXT management would love new crowds and stuff.  I'm sure seeing the same people 40+ weeks a year leads to it's own problems.  

Personally, I think they're better off doing the smaller venues like they were doing right before NXT 2.0.   Like NXT at Hammerstein would probably be an amazing crowd, same the Chicago Theater,  whatever theater they ran in DC, or hell the ECW Arena could probably do the trick.  

Get them out in front of new crowds.  Tape a couple of weeks at a time.    

Hell, I recognize half of the idiots in the Chase U section at this point and I watch like once or twice a month. 

• Like 1