DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK SEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

SO.... I've been in Seattle for a few days reffing a national flag football tournament.  I should check in the scores for this weekend.

Surely the Hurricanes didn't lose in the most embarrassing way humanly imaginable.

Certainly they wouldn't show the hubris that would cost them the game by doing something so insanely stupid that it will be talked about for years on end. 

Let's see here.... 

Oh.  

😕 

God damn it.

• Haha 7

In the wacky world of college realignment and the stupid way the law works...

The University of Washington filed a motion to join the lawsuit filed by Washington State and Oregon State

The University of Washington filed a motion to intervene in Whitman County (Wash.) Superior Court on Monday, seeking to join the lawsuit filed by Washington State and Oregon State against the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff.

If granted, the motion would pave the way for Washington to file a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, which neither the school nor the nine other departing Pac-12 universities -- Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, Utah and Stanford -- currently has the authority to do while not a party to the lawsuit. UW acted on behalf of the 10 universities primarily for jurisdictional reasons, as the original complaint was filed in Washington.

On Sept. 9, WSU and OSU filed a complaint for breach of bylaws and sought an emergency temporary restraining order to protect what the schools saw as an "imminent and existential threat" to the future of the conference. The TRO request was granted Sept. 27, at which point a hearing for a preliminary injunction was set for Nov. 14. The hearing would likely determine who would have voting rights on the Pac-12's board.

"UW has a significant stake in opposing WSU and OSU's claims and preventing the Court from granting the relief requested," the motion states. "True, UW is leaving the Conference after the 2023-24 academic year. But, in the meantime, UW remains a member of the Conference, and board participation and voting power affects the experience of UW's athletics teams and student-athletes for the 2023-24 academic year as well as UW's bargained-for contractual rights and financial interest."

WSU and OSU have contended that each of the 10 departing schools' announcements that they will move to new conferences next year qualifies as a notification to withdraw from the Pac-12, which would, per conference bylaws, removed their voting power. That precedent was set, they argued, when USC and UCLA no longer had voting power when they announced they were joining the Big Ten in the summer of 2022.

The 10 departing schools are challenging the grounds for that precedent.

"As we share another memorable fall season of Pac-12 athletics, we recognize the complex challenges of the current situation," those schools said in a joint statement. "Our court filings show how our schools are in full compliance with the Pac-12 Bylaws, which prohibit a member from leaving the conference before August 2024 but allow schools to announce a withdrawal that will happen after that date. We are looking forward to engaging in further candid and constructive conversations that will allow us to reach a fair resolution and position our communities for future success."

WSU and OSU released their own statement Monday, contending that the 10 schools are "relying on flimsy arguments to try to escape accountability" and that the duo has the right to determine the future of the conference.

Last week, the parties also entered mediation to seek a resolution outside the legal system. WSU and OSU have made it clear they believe the departing schools do not have a claim to the conference's remaining assets. Two weeks ago, the WSU and OSU presidents said they are in the process of understanding what those assets are and how they compare with the existing liabilities, which will inform their decision for how to move forward.

"If the Court grants WSU and OSU the relief they seek, WSU and OSU would be able to make decisions by fiat through the Conference Board that would affect each of the indispensable [departing] institutions that cannot be joined [to the lawsuit], hundreds of millions of dollars in the schools' revenue and liabilities, and the current and future experiences of their student-athletes," UW's motion states. "This would have far-reaching consequences."

There is a Oct. 13 deadline for parties to produce documents responsive to requests for production as part of the expedited discovery process.

Sucks to leave a conference en masse and screw over your conference mates, huh?

Between this and seeing Kentucky's coach going "Georgia has bought so many good players, our backers need to step up their spending and get better players in", I think it's time that we changed the college football paradigm. (Yes, I know it will never happen, but...)

Just make it a U23 pro league. There are currently 128 FBS teams and 133 FCS teams.

Divide FBS in to 4 32 team "leagues", each made up of 4 8 team divsions, divided roughly by geography.

Teams play each other teams in their division once (7 games), and can play any other team in the league with their other 4-5 games (which are treated like non-conference games currently)

The top team in each division, plus four wild-cards (determined by highest poll rankings) advance to an 8 team championship for the league.

Promotion and Relgation: The 8th place team in each division is relegated to a lower division (except in the lowest divsion of course). The 7th Place team division plays the quarter final loser in the playoffs for the league below in a promotion/relegation game.

So, this is how it'd look:

League 1: The four division winners and four wildcards play for the National Football Championship. Last place team gets relegated to League 2, 7th place team plays League 2 QF losers to determine who's in League 1 and who's in League 2

League 2: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 1, losers will play the 7th place League 1 teams for promotion. 8th place relegated to League three, 7th place will play QF losers of League 3 for promotion/relegation

League 3: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 2, losers will play the 7th place League 2 teams for promotion. Last place teams fall to league 4, 7th place plays Division 4's QF losers to stay in League 3

League 4: League 2: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 3, QF losers play the 7th place team to try to go up.

As new teams get filtered into FBS, the League 4 divisions will expand to 9-10 team divisions.. after 8 new teams join, then a new fifth League 4 division is formed (and then start to look in expanding)

This allows teams to be judged against teams of roughly the same caliber, but gives a number of slots to keep traditional rivals. If teams want to book games against lower level teams, sure.. but remember, the voters may judge you for it, if you don't play top competition and don't win your division, you're at the mercy of the voters to get into the playoffs (which are the only way to get promoted)

• Like 1

Losing to a Dana Holgersen run Houston team is really brutal for West Virginia team with what we thought was momentum.  Losing after coming back from 12 in the 4th only to give up a Hail Mary thanks to giving them 15 on kickoff on a celebration penalty is the worst 

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Losing to a Dana Holgersen run Houston team is really brutal for West Virginia team with what we thought was momentum.  Losing after coming back from 12 in the 4th only to give up a Hail Mary thanks to giving them 15 on kickoff on a celebration penalty is the worst 

I intended to watch the Phillies last night but found myself watching more of WVU-Houston.  2nd half was very entertaining.  Game saw nine lead changes with two coming in the final minute.  Final minute also saw two 50-yard touchdown passes.  Holgerson wasn’t particularly popular with the fan base when he left (he wasn’t fired; he quit and left the Big 12 for a Group of Five school, lol), so I expect a lot of WVU fans are nursing ulcers this morning,

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Reminds me of old NFL Prime Time: KNOCK IT DOWN!

The one WVU guy does just that. Except I think he knocked it into the Houston receiver. 

Nice to see Dana's teams are still playing quality defense. Gotta love getting torched for 55 on a catch and run like that. Brutal. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Interesting games out West this week. Oregon/Washington getting the deserved hype, but UCLA/Oregon State is a sleeper big game.

The other two would be marquee games this week both lost some luster with ND getting mauled in Louisville ahead of USC and whatever the hell Miami was doing before UNC

That's bad for Colorado on so many levels.

It's hard to find two more wins to get to bowl eligible on the rest of their schedule. Four of the five remaining games are against top twenty ranked teams.

• Like 1

I feel like the second half exposed basically every weakness for Colorado - a secondary that's terrible, a quarterback who tries to be a hero on every play but misses easy completions and flings up interceptions, poor coaching that overworks your best skill player so he gets torched on defense repeatedly, poor coaching/discipline all you get *17* penalties including FOUR for 12 men on the field on defense, and so on. 

They gagged away a 29pt lead at home to a team that lost at home to an FCS team. Ouch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I know one team was 2-3 entering the game, and the other was 4-2, but seeing Rutgers beating Michigan St is kinda "my how the mighty have fallen" in my head.

I'm not watching, but I'm deeply curious why Rutgers called a time out with the ball, up three, before second down with 1:24 left and now are going to have to snap it on fourth with :03 left.

Didn't matter, but I'm still curious what happened.

Edited by Brian Fowler