DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

I should mention that the Yanks signed Marcus Stroman to a 2 year, $37 million deal

Deal includes a vesting $18 million option for 2026 (vests if he pitches 140 innings in 2025)

The Yanks never fail to sign a player their fanbase hates

“Now, it’s hard to make it to the Majors but if you can make to the big leagues, there’s no telling what you can do”

entire audience looks at Cole’s gorgeous wife and wonders how a baseball player was able to outkick the coverage that well

“So, any questions”

”How did you do it?”

”Make it to the majors?”

”No, the other thing”

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, Cobra Commander said:

“Now, it’s hard to make it to the Majors but if you can make to the big leagues, there’s no telling what you can do”

entire audience looks at Cole’s gorgeous wife and wonders how a baseball player was able to outkick the coverage that well

“So, any questions”

”How did you do it?”

”Make it to the majors?”

”No, the other thing”

https://fxtwitter.com/TheyAlreadyKnew/status/1330973089329520643?t=zJi_HtzGiJ3nZNcseTuxqA&s=19

Jackson County's County Executive has vetoed a sales tax that would have helped fund stadiums for the Kansas City Chiefs and....... the Royals. 

The County Executive? Frank White, Kansas City Royals legend. 

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Jackson County's County Executive has vetoed a sales tax that would have helped fund stadiums for the Kansas City Chiefs and....... the Royals. 

The County Executive? Frank White, Kansas City Royals legend. 

For clarity's sake - the veto was for an ordinance that would allow the tax payers to vote on the increased sales tax or not

White said he isn't opposed to the concept just that he wants a "better deal" to present to the voters (he is looking for the teams to make more concessions)

• Like 2

Fuck cancer. Ryno diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. He’s already started treatment. Hopefully it hasn’t spread too far or to the colon, liver, or pancreas.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ardolis Chapman signs with Pittsburgh, 1/10.5

This is a WTF signing.  Pittsburgh can't find two quarters to buy a newspaper but they've got $10.5m for a "closer" whose teams quit trusting him to close, will be 36 when the season starts, AND comes with personal baggage?  

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

This is a WTF signing.  Pittsburgh can't find two quarters to buy a newspaper but they've got $10.5m for a "closer" whose teams quit trusting him to close, will be 36 when the season starts, AND comes with personal baggage?  

To be fair - they have been "spending" (relative term here) this offseason as they also brought in Martin Perez, Rowdy Tellez and Marco Gonzales (though a lot Gonzales salary is paid by others). And that isn't factoring in re-signing Cutch

That being said - this is the classic "sign him so they can trade him at the deadline if he doesn't suck" move. It is exactly what KC did last year with Chapman (Especially since he isn't gonna to be their closer - David Bednar is)

• Like 2

We pretty much know next year's class then with Ichiro and CC Sabathia being first timers

It seems will rarely get more than 3 so it will be CC, Ichiro and Wagner (since I doubt he won't get the 5 votes he needs)

not to sound disparaging towards Mauer being inducted, but the 9 most similar batters to him (in similarity score) being mostly non-HOF infielders is actually part of the reason how he got in

those 9 being Marty McManus, Michael Young, Dustin Pedroia, Bill Matlock, Jose Altuve, Pinky Higgins, Placido Polanco, Ray Durham and Al Dark

Joe Mauer was a really good player who also produced hitting results unlike anybody else at his position. He was hitting like Michael Young and Dustin Pedroia while also playing the physically toughest defensive position.

The Twins have two HOFers who spent their entire careers in Minnesota who both retired at 35 for different reasons (Kirby because he literally went blind in an eye and Mauer due to running up a lot of mileage to make it to 35)

Anyways, wonder if Mauer getting in proves to be a good sign for Buster Posey's HOF candidacy. Posey won a batting title but retired at 34. So he had just 10 full seasons  (2010, 2012-19, 2021) which is gonna be counted against him by some voters.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Posey should not only be in unanimously but should have the five year waiting period waived.

Mauer was Mr. Twin and should be in because the Hall Of Fame is the hall of FAME and is about more than pure numbers, and being The Face Of A Franchise should count for something.

(and while we're talking Face Of The Franchise catchers, Munson not being in yet is silly too)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

We pretty much know next year's class then with Ichiro and CC Sabathia being first timers

It seems will rarely get more than 3 so it will be CC, Ichiro and Wagner (since I doubt he won't get the 5 votes he needs)

i'm not sure CC is a hall of famer. . . .

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

He's not but he'll get in. 

Posey will get in as well but, truly, he didn't play long enough. I know the rule is 10 seasons but, man, he played 115 games only six times. 

10 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I'm sure that Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, A-Rod, Gary Sheffield, and Manny Ramirez are hall of famers.  Putting CC in is less egregious than leaving them out. 

• Like 4