DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

It does occur to me as I begin to doze off that they were also building to Moxley vs Starks so maybe now the plan is to have Starks go over Fenix so he can lose it back to Moxley...in which case I could see them wanting his first big defence to be against Danielson so he has some momentum before facing Moxley...in which case I guess it wasn't overly counterproductive for him to lose tonight. Wheeler broke up the handshake too so Starks going through Fenix, Yuta and Danielson en route to Moxley would make for a good build (again, this is all assuming Moxley isn't going to be out for a long time). 

On that note: no mention of Fenix being champ on the show tonight, and he's in a tag match on the ppv. Wonder if they're going to do something wonky and have the title held up (would be hard to kayfabe strip him of the belt since he won clean and was announced as champ). 

Finally two thoughts about the show tonight:

1) I always assumed CJ had a Russian accent in real life so her interview was jarring..

2) The video package for Santana and Ortiz was surreal. Two guys who have been off tv forever, hardly ever did promos or got a push in the year before they disappeared, suddenly back and having a bloodfeud via twitter and austere vignettes.

• Like 3

“Has anyone gotten as good as quickly as Ricky Starks?” Question posed by JR on commentary. To which I ask why is it impressive that he’s “finally” good? After eleven years he should be. If he sucked after that long he should retire.

But just for fun let’s see what other wrestlers have started from the year he did and that didn’t need over a decade to “get good”:

Charlotte Flair

Chad Gable

Moose

Tessa Blanchard

Matt Riddle

Ronda Rousey

Dominik Mysterio

Bron Breaker

Logan Paul (who’s miles ahead of Starks in every category)

Pat McAfee 

Dragon Lee

Jack Perry 

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Jay White (who like Logan Paul is miles ahead of Starks)

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby Allin

Wheeler Yuta

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton

Most of that list I’d take over the Michael Jackson wannabe in a heart beat, and I didn’t include both members of the Acclaimed. 

In the interest of fairness if I were starting a promotion here’s the names from that list I’d take over Adam Cole:

Charlotte

Chad Gable

Bron Breaker

Dominik Mysterio

Logan Paul

Dragon Lee

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Jay White

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton 

Edited by LF2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh hey, since King's got the NJ Strong belt, are there anybody else who hold belts from other feds right now?

Off the top of my head, QT is currently the AAA Latinoamericano Champion, and Shida pretty recently held a Stardom title. Willow also just had the brief New Japan reign after Sasha Banks changed the finish due to injury.

Edit:

Poking around on Wiki quickly, Kommander is half of the AAA tag champs as well, and Vikingo is Mega champ.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My dude, I have been ringing the bell of “wtf is the point of ROH when their belts are held by AEW guys and their TV is just meaningless mostly job matches” forever.  The only fix is realizing TK has no real plan for ROH and unsubscribing.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Believe I brought it up in the Discord during the PPV. All the belts are gonna be defended... on a show that isn't ROH. 

How many belts does ROH have, anyway? That gins up the AEW total title count to an extra five, right? Men's heavy/women's/tag/three-man/TV?

5 hours ago, AxB said:

You forgot the ROH Pure title. So SIX extra belts.

You get a belt and you get a belt and you get a belt!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

“Has anyone gotten as good as quickly as Ricky Starks?” Question posed by JR on commentary. To which I ask why is it impressive that he’s “finally” good? After eleven years he should be. If he sucked after that long he should retire.

But just for fun let’s see what other wrestlers have started from the year he did and that didn’t need over a decade to “get good”:

Charlotte Flair

Chad Gable

Moose

Tessa Blanchard

Matt Riddle

Ronda Rousey

Dominik Mysterio

Bron Breaker

Pat McAfee 

Dragon Lee

Jack Perry 

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby Allin

Wheeler Yuta

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton

Most of that list I’d take over the Michael Jackson wannabe in a heart beat, and I didn’t include both members of the Acclaimed. 

In the interest of fairness if I were starting a promotion here’s the names from that list I’d take over Adam Cole:

Charlotte

Chad Gable

Bron Breaker

Dominik Mysterio

Logan Paul

Dragon Lee

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Jay White

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton 

Will either of you just chill eventually? 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Charlotte Flair

Chad Gable

Moose

Tessa Blanchard

Matt Riddle

Ronda Rousey

Dominik Mysterio

Bron Breaker

Pat McAfee 

Dragon Lee

Jack Perry 

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby Allin

Wheeler Yuta

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton

Charlotte

Chad Gable

Bron Breaker

Dominik Mysterio

Logan Paul

Dragon Lee

Will Ospreay

Ilja Dragunov

Jay White

Montez Ford

Carmelo Hayes

MJF

Darby

Grayson Waller

Tiffany Stratton 

Settle down LF.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well, I completely spaced on this show. At least I don't have to wait through commercials?

You gotta love it when Darby dives into someone and kind of pins in place in midair, following them backwards on the same trajectory he was flying in. I suppose it's usually a mid-catch kinda thing which gives it that strange appearance. It's hard to explain, you just know it when you see it. Luchasaurus turning around on Christian when he was looking at the title was a great moment with a solid pop; Christian stealing the pinfall -- ON Luchasaurus -- was the same. Then that hug! What a goddamn weasel. 

I still think Callis uses makeup pencil on his scar before he goes on camera. BTW, the boos he got on Friday were just nuclear, probably the best thing on the show. 

Andrade getting to match up stiffness with White is a nice way of reestablishing him. He also has a really boss dragon screw that I seem not to have noticed before. With all the time off, and with the depth of this talent roster, you forget this guy was once one of Mexico's and Titan's biggest stars. Knife Pervert wins via shenanigans with Juicey Boy hitting a hilarious home run with that picture or whatever he had. Good match. 

I'm sure the tag was fine but I skipped ahead to get to the main. Kelly says "judicial weaponry" and I roll my eyes. The crowd brawl was how you should do it, move fast and keep it stiff for the fans since they're right there around you. Then that front row dive with the poor security guy with his legs sticking up in the air, oh man. Ricky does the lucha blood spit like a true vampire. He gets the fuck stomped out of him, hits a late-match killer bladejob, eats shit on the chained-up knee and dies. I bet he shook Danielson's hand and they got a big pop. This was the best match of the week. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 6

I don't really have a problem with Starks losing to Danielson because Danielson is the guy anyone can lose to (even Okada) and it doesn't hurt them. But, yes, at some point the home team guys need to WIN. Andrade losing was probably worse because he's just returning to competition. Switchblade is a big name but he shouldn't be protected like he is in Japan. You know why? Because 1. He's not Japanese, and 2. He's not in Japan, no matter how Gedo or whoever's booking over there has him set up in their personal hierarchy. He's in AEW. Their guys deserve priority. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bug bear I hold - wrestlers who insist on having the same mannerisms during every entrance despite no reason to, nor inviting any audience participation in doing so.

Toni Storm's WWE entrance of peering out into the crowd has finally been replaced as an unjustified bugbear by that Wish.com Wyatt guy tugging on the lapels of his suit jacket and having the most NXT exaggerated facial reactions.

Those guys do nothing for me and it's that they feel so FCW that I feel that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

1) I always assumed CJ had a Russian accent in real life so her interview was jarring..

She grew up both in a Soviet country and the US so she can slip in and out of accent though i think the American one is her norm.

5 hours ago, LF2 said:

Chad Gable

Gable actually just celebrated his 20 year anniversary. He started in 03. He just took a long time off when he was training at Olympic level.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Off the top of my head, QT is currently the AAA Latinoamericano Champion, and Shida pretty recently held a Stardom title. Willow also just had the brief New Japan reign after Sasha Banks changed the finish due to injury.

Edit:

Poking around on Wiki quickly, Kommander is half of the AAA tag champs as well, and Vikingo is Mega champ.

Wasn't Anna Jay wearing a title belt last night too??

35 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I'm going to guess that the word "fake" was in there somewhere.

Yeah, I remembered after I posted it that it was right after the chair spot on the ring post that had a lot of daylight. Though Starks giving Danielson a Hogan swing chair shot in that setup was the right move, especially a week before Wrestledream. 

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Toni Storm's WWE entrance of peering out into the crowd has finally been replaced as an unjustified bugbear by that Wish.com Wyatt guy tugging on the lapels of his suit jacket and having the most NXT exaggerated facial reactions.

Those guys do nothing for me and it's that they feel so FCW that I feel that way.

My hope -- and I think there's a realistic chance that this will happen -- is that their acting and promos are so pretentious and cringey that the moment MJF starts goofing on them on Wednesday to hype the ppv match the fans who aren't already annoyed by them will have a collective "hey wait a minute, these guys DO suck!" moment. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't really have a problem with Starks losing to Danielson because Danielson is the guy anyone can lose to (even Okada) and it doesn't hurt them. But, yes, at some point the home team guys need to WIN. Andrade losing was probably worse because he's just returning to competition. Switchblade is a big name but he shouldn't be protected like he is in Japan. You know why? Because 1. He's not Japanese, and 2. He's not in Japan, no matter how Gedo or whoever's booking over there has him set up in their personal hierarchy. He's in AEW. Their guys deserve priority. 

But Jay White doesn’t factor into the New Japan hierarchy or their booking plans, because Jay White is signed to AEW. I don’t understand this - both Andrade and Jay are AEW guys, so both would have priority in this case.

• Like 2

I don’t have anything against Jay White, but all of the singles matches I’ve seen with him seem kind of rudderless and samesy until there’s a really hot finishing stretch. That’s how I feel about a lot of the NJPW-style wrestlers in AEW though, so I mostly chalk it up to his matches just not being my thing. 

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Strap a rocket to Jay White, he is hands down the best seller and wrestler they have. 

My AEW top five on that criteria:

Bryan Danielson #1 then in no particular order: Darby Allin, Christian Cage, Eddie Kingston and Claudio Castagnoli. Honourable mention to MJF, Jay White and Dax Harwood. Feel bad leaving Samoa Joe off.

• Like 1

My issue with White and why I usually tune out during his matches is his approach to character work, specifically his idea that "the more I do the better it is", so that it ends up just distracting from the match itself and turns the focus to getting himself over even when he's on the defensive. It's like when people say Christopher Nolan movies are "deep" when they're actually just crammed with superficially dense bro-intellectualisms that don't add up to much -- White's matches are full of sneering heel mannerisms and slithery body manipulations that only serve to celebrate how gifted he is at performing gestures rather than his ability to have a compelling wrestling match with another human being. Again, personal taste factors into these things. MJF's entire matches are crammed with stuff like this but to me he treats heel work in such an exaggerated, archetypal way it never feels self-congratulatory the way White's "subtle" decisions do.

• Thanks 2