DVDVR Message Board

WrestleDream - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I thought it was a decent show. I did not like Mox on commentary

How do you have a tag team like the Righteous lose a handicap match and not pin the skinny dork with dreads?

Swerve/Page had some real issues with selling but I enjoyed the match overall. Both guys can sometimes do Scenes from a Wrestling Match instead of building from start to finish, like a Tarantino'd version of wrestling. With some limb work to focus on they were somewhat reigned in here

Sabre/Danielson was what I wanted it to be. Bryan's suplex off the top into the Lebell Lock could have been the finish, it was so smooth

Allin/Christian was going really well until the rest happened. Starting with the steps spot I started to lose enthusiasm and couldn't really hold it. Mama Wayne has to be the best 'wrestler's relative in the crowd' actor yet

Copeland in AEW is interesting if nothing else. The last thing I want is E+C's Tag Team of Awesomeness yucking it up on Wednesday nights but I think he's capable of great work. As the replacement veteran presence in the locker room, who knows

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

More thoughts later but I'm excited to see what @Matt Dthinks about that Swerve-Page match given that he's not a fan of either.

So... at the end of the day, Page is still Page and Swerve is still Swerve, right? That means there's a lot of stuff in here I didn't like. They both did an early kip up, roll through thing I didn't like. I thought Page went to bombs too soon, hitting an almost immediate big boot where a clothesline or punch would have worked. Early power bombs. etc. All of Swerve's offense is so, so dumb. So dumb.

But the match had three things going for it.

1. Page's stuff works slightly better when he's a bully de facto heel. Swerve's stuff works a little bit better when he's a hometown de facto face. That doesn't mean I want Page to be a heel because he's still too floaty and flashy. That doesn't mean I want Swerve to be face because he needs that chip on his shoulder and that edge, but in these weird tweener roles, it worked better than usual.
  2. The crowd was super hot. That usually makes just about everything better. And again, the things that they do well, they were doing well. Page is pretty good at emotionally reacting to the moment. Swerve is pretty good at riding the energy of the crowd. So these things helped.
  3. The hand/arm work. It's a little like building a nice foundation to a really ugly building. At the end of the day, it might not be pretty, but it won't fall down. The match didn't fall down. They got all their shit early (and late), but at least late there was consequence to it all.

I'm not rewatching this one though.

• Like 5

Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr might be my new MOTY. The opening feeling out, ZSJ baiting Bryan into using his right arm with the steel rod in, the submission exchanges going on offence to defence. The fluidity of. My favourite spot was Danielson countering the armbar to a Regal Plex which I've never seen before. Nigel McGuinness' reaction to it was great. Two of the best technical wrestlers of all time making it look effortless. *****.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

An old trick from Daddy Ass! the New Age Outlaws pulled it off in a triple threat tag back in 98. 

I think Hall and Nash also tried it during the triple threat against the Faces of Fear and Nasty Boys at World War 3

• Like 4

What a year for Bryan Danielson:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Bandido. AEW Dynamite, 18th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Timothy Thatcher. AEW Dynamite, 1st February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 5th March. *****.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing, 28th May.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW Forbidden Door, 25th June.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out, 3rd September. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AEW WrestleDream, 1st October. *****.

WOTY.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WOTY.

I love this list because this is what I wanted to see out of Daneilson once he was out of WWE, just taking on wrestlers from all over the world.

• Like 2

Matwork/Grappling Danielson is my favorite Danielson. I feel like we haven't really gotten that since that Drew Gulak match on PPV a few years ago. There are very, very few people in wrestling that can go on the mat at Danielson's level and ZSJ is obviously one of them. I spent the bulk of this match with a big ol' grin on my face, because it was exactly what I wanted and was expecting, but it was almost entirely unpredictable. Like, I knew the Romero Special was coming, I knew the standing neck twist with the feet was coming, etc, but how they got to each of their spots was a marvel to watch. This is one match that is going to get better with age and rewatches, because it is so, so dense. 

Run this back, Tony. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WOTY.

8 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Also the Texas Death Match last week 

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Log said:

I love this list because this is what I wanted to see out of Daneilson once he was out of WWE, just taking on wrestlers from all over the world.

Me too. Add these to it:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021.
  • Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.
  • Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing, 29th May 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Dynamite, 7th September 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Jericho. AEW Dynamite, 14th September 2022.
  • Like 2

It was a really fun show to be at live. Danielson-Sabre was really good. Match of the night is still Swerve-Hangman. My favorite part of Swerve-Hangman was when they were teasing kicking Nana out and we all chanted “let him stay” then when Paul Turner threw him out we chanted “fuck you ref”. Tons of fun.

Was the “Fuck the Blue Jays” chant audible during the opening moments of Christian-Darby? It seemed like it caught on. Christian was looking out perplexed. Nicks Mom got a couple chants too.

I’ve been to a Dynamite a Raw and now WrestleDream this year at Climate Pledge and I gotta say AEW has louder more rowdy (in the best way possible) fanbase. 

Edited by WebConn89
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

My favourite spot was Danielson countering the armbar to a Regal Plex which I've never seen before. Nigel McGuinness' reaction to it was great. Two of the best technical wrestlers of all time making it look effortless. *****.

I had a similar thought in that Danielson kicking ZSJ's legs after targeting the exposed ribs when Sabre was in the Tree of Woe was something I hadn't seen before, but made so much sense in the context of the match. It says a lot about those two that they can show us new things without having to incorporate tables, ladders, fire, a 900 degree rotation, etc.

I didn't watch the whole PPV, but Danielson/Sabre is an easy MOTYC for me. Probably in my top three at this moment. Sabre's "we aren't done" after the match gives me high hopes. Honestly, I'd much rather see Danielson/ZSJ II at Wrestle Kingdom this January over Danielson/Okada II. That's not a knock on Okada, but two of the best wrestlers working today lived up to the hype last night and then some. A second match has to happen before Danielson hangs them up, I think.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's cool, man. I joke about it enough, so maybe some people don't know the hell it's put me through. I just take it one day at a time. That's all I can do. 

I didn’t know.  Though I was referencing some other posts that I had read as bit more clowning in tone.  So I was adding to that.  If I read the room wrong I could see why it could be taken in poor taste.  

With all respect I apologize.  I will abstain from my next hit of weed.  

I know you're all on the edge of your seats, so here you go;

By the time the show rolled around, I had talked myself into thinking it was a good idea for Julia Hart to take the TBS Title off of Statlander. Part of me still thinks it would've been the right call. If no one else has said it, I don't think anyone on AEW's roster has improved as much over the last 18 months as Julia Hart. She's sneaky athletic and she has her character down pat. I also enjoy Brody as the "menacing caretaker." Hopefully Hart gets more to do. She's terrific.

This ROH Tag Title match had exactly the right amount of Adam Cole. I still think the smart play was getting the Tag Titles off of MJF and do a modified version of whatever their endgame is when Cole is healthy. MJF is tremendous. Prodigious. Just an absolute master of character and ring work. Pay him whatever it takes to keep him long term.

Eddie Kingston is my hero. I don't think I connect as viscerally with anyone as I do with him. What an absolute snugboat of a match.

Imagine my surprise at the Young Bucks winning this match. Who needs interesting character work or a basic display of ring psychology and competent match layout when you can just do MOVEZ and smirk into the camera, right? They were by far the least interesting outcome, but I guess the "E" in "EVP" doesn't stand for "Enteresting..."

Swerve/Hanger was exactly my shit. I really dig both guys, and I was very intrigued by the outcome. Like I said the other day, Swerve is a guy I'd be planning to have in the main event this time a year from now. This match and the one that followed featured my bets for guys this company is gonna be built around in 3-5 years. Right guy went over. 

Starks and Yuta had a lot to measure up to, but had the crowd invested by the end. It's a true testament to Starks' charisma that the audience seems to gain interest as his matches go on. A lot of folks have the opposite trait; that's why I think nxt matches had so many kickouts for so long. It's a guaranteed way to re-engage a tuned out audience. Starks draws audiences in. It's part of the reason I'm so impressed with him. He doesn't need to force interaction with the crowd or scream his own name incessantly. The audience buys in by choice. It's fantastic. Also, Mox ruled ass on commentary. If you disagree you are bad and wrong. 

FTR Aussie Open was fine. I think FTR set the bar so high that it's hard to care too much. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea for the Bucks to take the titles off of these guys, but I consistently underestimate their ability to make things about them.

Main event was the balls. Just awesome. Everything about it. The Nick Wayne heel turn. The stairs stuff. All of it. And Sexton Hardcastle being All Elite is an awesome next chapter for him. 

Great ppv. 

Edited by Just Dave
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I know you're all on the edge of your seats, so here you go;

By the time the show rolled around, I had talked myself into thinking it was a good idea for Julia Hart to take the TBS Title off of Statlander. Part of me still thinks it would've been the right call. If no one else has said it, I don't think anyone on AEW's roster has improved as much over the last 18 months as Julia Hart. She's sneaky athletic and she has her character down pat. I also enjoy Brody as the "menacing caretaker." Hopefully Hart gets more to do. She's terrific.

This ROH Tag Title match had exactly the right amount of Adam Cole. I still think the smart play was getting the Tag Titles off of MJF and do a modified version of whatever their endgame is when Cole is healthy. MJF is tremendous. Prodigious. Just an absolute master of character and ring work. Pay him whatever it takes to keep him long term.

Eddie Kingston is my hero. I don't think I connect as viscerally with anyone as I do with him. What an absolute snugboat of a match.

Imagine my surprise at the Young Bucks winning this match. Who needs interesting character work or a basic display of ring psychology and competent match layout when you can just do MOVEZ and smirk into the camera, right? They were by far the least interesting outcome, but I guess the "E" in "EVP" doesn't stand for "Enteresting..."

Swerve/Hanger was exactly my shit. I really dig both guys, and I was very intrigued by the outcome. Like I said the other day, Swerve is a guy I'd be planning to have in the main event this time a year from now. This match and the one that followed featured my bets for guys this company is gonna be built around in 3-5 years. Right guy went over. 

Starks and Yuta had a lot to measure up to, but had the crowd invested by the end. It's a true testament to Starks' charisma that the audience seems to gain interest as his matches go on. A lot of folks have the opposite trait; that's why I think nxt matches had so many kickouts for so long. It's a guaranteed way to re-engage a tuned out audience. Starks draws audiences in. It's part of the reason I'm so impressed with him. He doesn't need to force interaction with the crowd or scream his own name incessantly. The audience buys in by choice. It's fantastic. Also, Mox ruled ass on commentary. If you disagree you are bad and wrong. 

FTR Aussie Open was fine. I think FTR set the bar so high that it's hard to care too much. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea for the Bucks to take the titles off of these guys, but I consistently underestimate their ability to make things about them.

Main event was the balls. Just awesome. Everything about it. The Nick Wayne heel turn. The stairs stuff. All of it. And Sexton Hardcastle being All Elite is an awesome next chapter for him. 

Great ppv. 

What did you think to Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr?

Just now, The Natural said:

iWhat did you think to Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr?

I knew I forgot something. I liked it, by and large. ZSJ isn't always my cup of tea, but I really liked how he and Danielson worked together, and I liked the finish.

• Like 2

Fun Zero Hour to open. MJF v the Righteous was entertaining. A weak booking that MJF couldn't lose, but also killed any credibility the Righteous might've had or could have potetnailly built to. Not that most will care. Shibata v Kingston was good solid fun. Stat v Hart had nice heat and a good closing stretch. That match, the 4 way Tag and the Six Man Tag were all very good. All better served on TV to perserve the crowd for the excellence of Hangman v Swerve, Darby v Christian, Aussies v FTR and ZSJ v Danielson. Really hoping for a Sabre full time run sooner than later. Darby's commitment to his craft makes my body ache. Christy-Ian Cage is a filthy and delightful heel. Oh, and Good solid work from Mrs. Wayne. 

The 'Adam Copeland' debut was pretty cheesewhiz with that lame video. Coupled with posing and fireworks while the heels stop in their spot to watch. And oh my dear that dated buttrock theme!? Awful. Still an excited crowd is infectious. Here's wishing "Adam!!! 'Adam!!!" all the best. And increased metrics for the Elite brand.

Pretty... pretty fuckin' awesome show! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3