DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that Vince hasn't alway been a shrewd operator, but I do think Vince had enough respect to not mess with them as long as they were willing to do business on the way out. I mean I don't think the plan was to insert Heenan into that Survivor Series match the way the match ended up being constructed. 

That's a very good point!  So we're back to me being absolutely befuddled at firing a guy for coke on this card

Edited by Technico Support

Bryan Danielson speaks:

“In my mind, it’s around August of next year,” Danielson said. “My daughter will say, ‘Daddy, are you going to be done wrestling when I turn seven?’ And I’ll respond, ‘Well, not exactly when you turn seven, but I’ll be on the home stretch.’"

“I don’t think I’ll ever reach a point where I declare I’m absolutely done,” Danielson continued. “I want the ability to show up when I want to show up. Terry Funk is someone I always admired. He retired a million times, but he loved it so much he couldn’t help but keep doing it. And he did it when he wanted. For me, it might be a couple times a year, or it might be years between matches.”

“I didn’t get a chance to do All In this year. I would like that chance next year. We have a show, WrestleDream, this October 1 in Seattle where I’m wrestling Zack Sabre Jr. If we have another next year in Seattle? Maybe it will be then. My daughter turns seven in May, so it’s a good time to close down the shop.”

“I always thought I’d wrestle until the day I die,” he continued. “But it’s not going to be this regular, weekly wrestling. I don’t even know if it’s going to be wrestling at big shows. I’ve always wanted to wrestle for DEFY in Seattle. How easy would it be for me to call the promoter and pop in some weekend? They wouldn’t even need to promote me. I could come in, surprise people, and do my thing.”

“There is the realization that over the past year, I’m getting hurt after every big match I have,” said Danielson. “That’s a sign. I love wrestling, but I do not want to wrestle at the expense of my long-term health. I did the Iron Man match with Max, and then I didn’t wrestle again until Anarchy in the Arena, and even that was a lot of smoke and mirrors. Then I wrestle Okada and I break my arm. The injuries are starting to pile up. At what point is that worth the risk? Especially when my kids want and need me at home.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/wrestling/news/bryan-danielson-details-his-future

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Danielson following a Terry Funk career arc sure would be something. I have no doubt Dragon could reinvent himself as a lumberjack version of old Funk and be good enough at it that young viewers watch his old stuff and say "Holy shit this guy was a master technician when he was young?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AFAIK I don't think so. Plus, it had only been about a year since they left. I think that might have been their backup plan though.

Yeah, that is what I meant in that Herd told Arn that maybe he should try to resign with WWF when Herd refuse to give him the money Arn was asking for. Arn was like, "dumbass, we cannot resign with WWF..." essentially. I think Arn's point was that Herd didn't want to do it cause Tully had just tested positive and it would look bad for the company anyway so he gave him a shit deal figured WCW had the negotiating power/leverage.

Usually, it doesn't turn out that way. Sometimes, you would get that but only cause guys went to the office and told them, "yeah, I'm/we're done" and then everyone would go from there. Either that or guys would volunteer to do that (IIRC for example, LoD doing it for the Midnight Express). I would also add that cause Jade was so dominant like you mentioned..eh she probably won't do that. I don't think TK is the guy to force someone to do that. He may choose a couple people but it's going to be people who are already on the clear ascent like Stat. I think she (Jade) would put over Athena cause that's her girl. Other than that, probably not too many folks on that list.

I urge you to hear Arn’s First person and more accurate perspective on the matter. It’s very easy to find in any podcast search engine.

I agree and can imagine orchestrating Ppl leaving putting a few ppl over might involve some strain, but we seem to differ on the potential value. Jade refusing to do jobs for any of the names I mentioned would be incredibly disrespectful considering what each did for her during her AEW stint. But that’s just a reply to your speculation, to be clear, there’s nothing Ive seen or heard to suggest she indeed did refuse doing the job for anyone. 

53 minutes ago, The Natural said:

LOL.

He's going to harass Jeff Jarrett about Jerry after the Nick Wayne storyline is done with and I'm sure he called Tony Khan to request a program with Mike Santana after watching his sit down interview talking about losing his father. 

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

David Zaslav announces AEW will be on MAX and move to monthly ppv in 2024. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

I'll wait for confirmation from Tony Khan in a special announcement where he'll tell us like it's a book report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

David Zaslav announces AEW will be on MAX and move to monthly ppv in 2024. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Anything to confirm that other than the Zarian 'I feel confident saying...' tweet from a little bit ago? This is very, very interesting news (and I'm hoping that means good things for archival shows, hell, maybe ROH finds a home there eventually, or they bring back my beloved Dark/Elevation - though I won't hold my breath for that one).

I'm also curious if expanding the PPV calendar means paying a flat rate (ala WWEN's $9.99) or if they'll be piece-mealed out in some fashion (maybe at a reduction of the full BR price w Max membership or something - like $20 vs $50 for example).

I kind of miss the idea of having the five major ones to build to, in the WWF 'big 4/5' tradition, but in reality, with all the special Dynamites throughout the year (your Grand Slams, Winter is Comings, Beach Breaks, etc.) I don't think it should have a major effect on the booking as things stand now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I urge you to hear Arn’s First person and more accurate perspective on the matter. It’s very easy to find in any podcast search engine.

Yeah, I already listened to it when the episode came out.

I agree and can imagine orchestrating Ppl leaving putting a few ppl over might involve some strain, but we seem to differ on the potential value. Jade refusing to do jobs for any of the names I mentioned would be incredibly disrespectful considering what each did for her during her AEW stint. But that’s just a reply to your speculation, to be clear, there’s nothing Ive seen or heard to suggest she indeed did refuse doing the job for anyone. 

That's just the mechanics of pro wrestling especially when you're going to a new destination. It's less on Jade and more potentially WWE (if she is indeed going there and doesn't change her mind) wanting to come in with a certain aura. Moreover, even though it wouldn't be a burial, Tony has never really went out of his way and been consumed with people jobbing on the way out. When people leave, they just leave. Pillman Jr. was losing BEFORE it was decided he wasn't coming back. If he (TK) has a good relationship with Jade, he's probably going to ask her to put over Stat and probably someone else, but I doubt it's going to be this and that person cause they need the rub.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that Vince hasn't alway been a shrewd operator, but I do think Vince had enough respect to not mess with them as long as they were willing to do business on the way out. I mean I don't think the plan was to insert Heenan into that Survivor Series match the way the match ended up being constructed. 

I'm not sure the 5th guy on a Survivor Series team was all that important to the owner-chairman. 

You're talking about Vince McMahon, the guy who committed several forms of sexual misconduct over the years, whom was pretty widely known to use cocaine himself, who has and continues to play out his petty powerplays on television for nearly 40 years now, that guy had enough respect? Er Maybe. Maybe not. 

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I already listened to it when the episode came out.

That's just the mechanics of pro wrestling especially when you're going to a new destination. It's less on Jade and more potentially WWE (if she is indeed going there and doesn't change her mind) wanting to come in with a certain aura. Moreover, even though it wouldn't be a burial, Tony has never really went out of his way and been consumed with people jobbing on the way out. When people leave, they just leave. Pillman Jr. was losing BEFORE it was decided he wasn't coming back. If he (TK) has a good relationship with Jade, he's probably going to ask her to put over Stat and probably someone else, but I doubt it's going to be this and that person cause they need the rub.

Well, maybe it's worth taking another listen for accuracy when posting on said Tully/Arn situation. 

I don't see ppl like Willow or anybody mentioned as 'this and that person needing a rub'. Jade and Willow or Jade and whomever promoing back and forth and then Jade doing a job, not a squash, but a job, isn't exactly what I would call a burial. I'm sure you're right about WWE wanting a particular aura er whatever, but I would think her current contract, and owing what she does to the company/her peers in the locker room would not only allow AEW a bit of pull or weight in such a situation, but might actually push a competitor like Jade to do the right thing and give a little something back. Anyway, that's all speculation. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You're talking about Vince McMahon, the guy who committed several forms of sexual misconduct over the years, whom was pretty widely known to use cocaine himself, who has and continues to play out his petty powerplays on television for nearly 40 years now, that guy had enough respect? Er Maybe. Maybe not. 

I think it's more than likely given out of all the folks who made the jump, they somehow escape being saddled with horrendous gimmicks. The only change were they were called the Brainbusters. They couldn't do the Four Horsemen symbol per Arn (I mean that's sensible since Vince didn't own the name/gimmick) but I didn't get it from Arn that Vince was out to get them. Moreover, Tully has always kinda been his worst enemy especially when he was going through his struggles with drug addiction. 

Keep in mind, 1989 is also when Terry Taylor was the Red Rooster and Dusty is wearing polka dots. When Vince sends you a message, he ain't subtle at all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think it's more than likely given out of all the folks who made the jump, they somehow escape being saddled with horrendous gimmicks. The only change were they were called the Brainbusters. They couldn't do the Four Horsemen symbol per Arn (I mean that's sensible since Vince didn't own the name/gimmick) but I didn't get it from Arn that Vince was out to get them. Moreover, Tully has always kinda been his worst enemy especially when he was going through his struggles with drug addiction. 

Keep in mind, 1989 is also when Terry Taylor was the Red Rooster and Dusty is wearing polka dots. When Vince sends you a message, he ain't subtle at all.

Tully and Arn had leverage coming in. Vince wanted his rival's top team. Absolutely you could label Tully his 'own worst enemy', but it's pretty clear to the ppl who know the story that the pop drug test was a fuck you. Yes, it is important to keep in mind that the man in charge is taking a legend and making a fool of him for his ridiculous petty reasons. And this same man is taking a young potential draw and making him a Rooster. All things to keep in mind when evaluating said situation concerning Tully.   

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And this same man is taking a young potential draw and making him a Rooster.

Now THAT is involving cocaine. 

If somebody in power wanted to be petty toward Tully, it's not like he was a person who went out of his way to make friends. Didn't have to be Vince.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Tully and Arn had leverage coming in. 

I dunno how much leverage. JCP was gonna down fast. He could have waited it out. Moreover, he didn't have to push them out of the gate. They also get a primo spot of SNME back when that meant something. Everything else is just conjecture. The whole everyone did cocaine thing doesn't really fly cause you're not "everyone".  

I think a lot of people (meaning talent) tried to play that game especially when it came to PEDs later on that testing doesn't mean as much so "fuck it". Then, they would fail a bunch of tests, get fired over it, and be absolutely shocked. Pro wrestling being the wild, wild west made a lot of folks being totally oblivious to what the real world can be.