DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I just wanna know the TA thought process that made him think "hey this dude who is short and stocky, I want to fight him".. because it looks like Jose Ramirez has punched people in the face before

Your first mistake is assuming TA had a thought process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jose Ramirez also inspired this tweet from the Guardians team account back in April:

As a 13-year-old, José Ramírez played in a gambling league with adults to earn money for his family.

In certain circumstances, bettors would gamble on a player to have a positive outcome. If they didn't come through, they would be chased home by gamblers with machetes and guns.

so, once again.. feels like a bad dude to try fighting

Ramirez got that punch off while another player was on his back trying to pull him away, you know he's been in a brawl or two in his day. No tears were shed I imagine for Anderson. And he seems to be fine, aside from probably his pride.

I mean, Anderson is a jerk, so you've got that going in.  Then he'd apparently already been told by an umpire to shut his mouth because he was harassing a Cleveland rookie.  Then he dismisses Ramirez's request for a hand up and it's game on.  Add in the way that Anderson stole an out the previous night by knocking the runner's hand off the bag, resulting in replay overturning a safe call into out, and you've got a powder keg.

I love the way the ump just jumped back and was like "alright boys, have at it".  It was like 10-on-1 and Ramirez STILL dropped Anderson.  And then Anderson popped up and wanted more, LOL.  Take the L, man.

• Like 3

Suspensions

Tim Anderson - 6 games

Jose Ramirez - 3 games

Following people got 1 game: Emmanuel Clase, Terry Francona, Mike Sarbaugh, Pedro Grifol.

Gabriel Arias and Michael Kopech were both fined

• Haha 1

To loop back to the Anthony Rizzo thing for a second

The Athletic did a long interview with him and basically it sounds like the typical story of an athlete being stubborn and not admitting there was an issue they couldn't fix by themselves

Was there ever a point during this that you just thought you were cooked and age had caught up to you?

When you’re used to hitting pitches, I mean, I have the utmost respect for this league and how hard it is. It’s not like I’m hitting .350 all of the time. But you know yourself as a hitter and you know what your strike zone is. When it all disappeared, you’re like what is going on? You don’t think it’s because of a collision. My agent said something about the collision. My parents said something. My wife said something. My friends said something. And they were like, “It all adds up.” Every time someone said something like that, I would get mad at them because I don’t need excuses in this game. I’m trying to get out of this and get better. As far as that, there’s nothing that popped up other than the struggle, but everyone struggles in baseball. It’s hard to balance. Now looking back, I can see it maybe now makes sense. I don’t think it was stubbornness from myself because, again, traveling, our schedule is tough. You get in at 4 in the morning, off days. Everyone feels tired. It’s no different than it was a couple of years ago. When you wake up feeling a little groggy and you shouldn’t be, or you’re a little extra tired. That’s when I was like, you brush it off at first. Even this was brushed off. The training staff was being extra precautious and they were wanting to get more tests ran just to make sure there’s clarity of if there’s something.

From my understanding then, it never crossed your mind during these two months that you may be feeling the aftereffects of the collision then, correct? 

No, because, again, we’re not bred to come up with excuses. The guys in this game who come up with excuses are guys who don’t stay very long.

There is also a lot in the story that also serves as a reminder about how terrifying concussion symptoms can be

https://theathletic.com/4752275/2023/08/06/yankees-anthony-rizzo-post-concussion-syndrome/

More White Sox drama came across today. Keynan Middleton gave an interview where he mentioned the White Sox had no organizational control, including rookie bullpen pitchers sleeping during meetings and players missing practices with no repercussions.

The other scandalous story apparently is between Tim Anderson and Yasmani Grandal. The day before the All Star break, Grandal was not in the lineup and wanting to head home early. Apparently, Tim Anderson found out and said, "Fuck him. If he wants to leave early, I'll pay for his flight." To this, Grandal came up to Anderson and slapped him.

Well, when you're getting fired in 6 weeks, you're free to be the asshole you truly are.  To wit, Ladies and Gentlemen, Aaron Fucking Boone:

God bless Jomboy for including the fact that Boone was ejected for arguing a correctly called strike.

On 8/6/2023 at 3:26 AM, Tabe said:

I mean, Anderson is a jerk, so you've got that going in.  Then he'd apparently already been told by an umpire to shut his mouth because he was harassing a Cleveland rookie.  Then he dismisses Ramirez's request for a hand up and it's game on.  Add in the way that Anderson stole an out the previous night by knocking the runner's hand off the bag, resulting in replay overturning a safe call into out, and you've got a powder keg.

I love the way the ump just jumped back and was like "alright boys, have at it".  It was like 10-on-1 and Ramirez STILL dropped Anderson.  And then Anderson popped up and wanted more, LOL.  Take the L, man.

Tim Anderson needs to understand that if you aren't very well liked,  you probably shouldn't pick fights with someone everybody seems to love. Not only did he lose the fight,  but nobody is coming to his defense. There will be no sympathy,  there will only be ridicule. It sucks because both my favorite team and my fantasy team are going to miss Ramirez for 3 games,  but at least he didn't get his ass beat in front of everybody.

• Like 1

It's especially sad when brawls almost always end with nothing happening. Considering Tim Anderson is the one dude in a brawl in forever who got legit knocked the fuck out, had his necklace stolen, and bike stolen and then walked away like he spent all night in Debo's pigeon coop, he should probably consider being less of an asshole.

• Haha 2