DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/5 - 7/11/2023

Every thing My Jewish Friend did tonight was so incredible. Getting the crowd to get Adam to cheat on the abdominal stretch spot, the streamers for the happy birthday surprise. It's weird though seeing Cole try to take some semblance of the high ground as if he hasn't been a career heel before the injury. Was hoping for Punk/MJF III at Wembley but if this build stays this good I'll totally be good for Max/Cole.

I like that BCC and Elite have a lot of intrigue for who their fifth is going to be at Blood and Guts. I know who it /should/ be for The Elite but a debut for a STAR of that GOLDEN stature probably should come at a bigger event. I guess if everyone is willing to play ball, Punk would make a lot of sense and they can finally address the gripe bomb and aftermath.

Lee crushing Darby under the steps using OC for extra weight one of the most horrific visuals I've seen in wrestling in a while. Me and a few friends were talking recently about how a lot of shine has come off Lee but tonight was amazing for "Oh yeah... Keith Lee kind of rules." Just please end this storyline with Swerve soon.

I wish commentary would have brought up Outcasts doing to Britt what she did to Toni when she dropped the title to Hayter. Toni was kiiind of right that she got screwed in that one and the fans didn't really seem to care.

Can we just take a minute to appreciate Callis and Takeshita as Centaurs?

• Like 6

MJF just loves these odd couple angles where it's "Hey, I'm an asshole, you're an asshole, let's hang out and be funny assholes while we wonder who's going to be the first to stick the dagger into the other's back (it's going to be me, by the way). First Jericho, now Cole. Think he had a couple other ones.

• Like 5

I wish they didn't do the MJF pretends to be friends with his rival so often, especially so recently with Sammy, but this iteration with Cole has been by far my favorite one. Hilarious gym skit, the tag team entrance with MJF being a high fiving babyface, all the post-match stuff and the little bits like MJF subscribing/commenting on Cole's twitch stream has been classic. 

the Orange/Darby vs Keith/Swerve opener ruled. Always enjoyed the Keith/Swerve team before and I'm digging the increased focus on Keith again lately. Enjoying the battle bowl thus far, glad to see Jeff Jarrett will be back in action with Matt. 

I was hoping Skye/Athena would be the women's Owen Cup final but I'm thinking it may end up Ruby/Willow playing off their past history. Still pulling for Skye. 

Great main event with a super hot crowd all the way through. Fun post-match and running out of time show ending. 

forgot to mention the video package on Nick Wayne, thought that was awesome and very well done. Cool set up for his official debut next week.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I wish they didn't do the MJF pretends to be friends with his rival so often, especially so recently with Sammy, but this iteration with Cole has been by far my favorite one. Hilarious gym skit, the tag team entrance with MJF being a high fiving babyface, all the post-match stuff and the little bits like MJF subscribing/commenting on Cole's twitch stream has been classic. 

I think it’s great because it started with Cole explaining how he was just doing this to screw with mjf. Now I’m way more invested in who will screw who first, than your typical team that can’t coexist. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Same here.

• Like 1

Ok, I do NOT trust MJF on this one, but the good thing is, neither does Adam Cole, even though he was touched by the effort. Also, either wrestlers are lying pieces of crap, OR Adam Cole is deceptively strong. The weight on that bench was (supposedly) either 170kg, 140kg or in an unlikely case 110kg (so about 375lbs, 308lbs or 242lbs). With those reps, I'd have no chance of doing what Cole did even if it was 242, let alone anything higher. I guess that sent a message (Cole was an hour into cardio at this point, too)!

Opener was good, the other tag match was a showcase for the wacky pairing, women's match and main event need a rewatch, but ending of the main was good from what I saw. I'm very tired as the vacation approaches and the diet is coming to a close. If I'm on the couch, I doze off, can't be helped.

4 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate Callis and Takeshita as Centaurs?

Go right ahead, I think we can wait for however long that takes? A minute? Sure, appreciate away!

• Like 1

The MJF/Cole team is hilarious. MJF's reaction to Adam Cole doing the old school abdominal stretch cheating spot was the comedy spot of the year. I know MJF loves playing the jaded loner heel, and I think he enjoys the challenge of how far he has to go to crowds to boo him, but he should really be AEW's top face. Crowds are dying to cheer him, he's a got the look, the personality, and is actually a zoomer which makes him stand out in a good way among top acts in wrestling today. Every time he teases going full face no matter how disingenuous, the crowds eat it up.

The gym segment was also great and more evidence that AEW books to DVDVR with the body-shaming dialogue. The creative editing of Adam Cole doing like 12 reps at 315 on bench was brilliant.

I also like the way they're handling the JAS breakup (which is overdue), so far. The reversal roll-up with all of the Outcasts hanging on for dear life was their best cheating finish yet. Kenny and Wheeler had a nice match, and I like how they protected the seatbelt pin by not having it all the way in.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Also, either wrestlers are lying pieces of crap, OR Adam Cole is deceptively strong. The weight on that bench was (supposedly) either 170kg, 140kg or in an unlikely case 110kg (so about 375lbs, 308lbs or 242lbs). With those reps, I'd have no chance of doing what Cole did even if it was 242, let alone anything higher. I guess that sent a message (Cole was an hour into cardio at this point, too)!

Athlean-X school of bench press brah!

In all seriousness, I doubt either is casually repping out 315 for shits and giggles though it's obv more believable for MJF to have a 350+ bench. Cole was doing Broto Press as well, admittedly with decent consistency, but still....a real friend would have called him on that bullshit though.

Cole basically does nothing in the ring that requires any upper body strength. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he does maxes and trains for strength. He seems to have some kind of actual phobia when it comes to hypertrophy though.

Darby Allin is a fucking maniac.  I love him like family.

Would it have hurt Omega for Yuta to have pulled off a shitty heel win by kayfabe exploiting Kenny's injuries sustained during his match with Osprey at Forbidden Door?  Can we tell a fucking story in the ring, please? 

Yuta is supposed to be a member of the BCC right.  Talented grapplers with extremely bad attitudes?  Hammer and Anvil on the injured neck before securing the Seatbelt?  Does that ring a bell?  Maybe Takeshita helps via cheating on Yuta's behalf? 

Is Kenny so protected that he always overcomes adversity while sneering like a tweener no matter who's in the ring with him?  I mean sure, it's Canada, but who honors the hometown guy always wins in his hometown thing anymore?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

I love Yuta as Proto-Syxx.  He's the guy that's there to be annoying and sneer in the faces of our hero.  He's nowhere near Waltman as a worker but I enjoy what they're doing with him.  Maybe he can create his own Bronco Buster but with a dumb submission that's more embarrassing than hurtful. 

• Like 5

My big takeaway from the Cole/MJF shenanigans is that Max is going to be an INCREDIBLE babyface down the line once his heel well inevitably runs dry. The fans already love to hate him... he has personality to burn and enough flashy offense that he could slide neatly into that role with a little prodding, plus his instincts are off the charts at reading crowds and reacting accordingly. I also love that Cole is essentially forcing MJF to wrestle clean.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

My big takeaway from the Cole/MJF shenanigans is that Max is going to be an INCREDIBLE babyface down the line once his heel well inevitably runs dry. The fans already love to hate him... he has personality to burn and enough flashy offense that he could slide neatly into that role with a little prodding, plus his instincts are off the charts at reading crowds and reacting accordingly. I also love that Cole is essentially forcing MJF to wrestle clean.

Watching last night all I could think is that this could end up being AEW's version of The Bloodline: a storyline that catches fire and causes business to soar.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2023 at 8:53 AM, The Natural said:

All about Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk for me this week. Can't wait for that one. There's a 20 minute time limit. I'm hoping the rematch goes longer. Love the Joe/Punk 2004 trilogy. Gave all three *****. For a while I thought the second was the best but it's the third now:

Reveal hidden contents

No time limit as the first two went 60 minutes so think it's going even longer but it lasts 33 minutes subverting expectations.

Punk bleeding so it wasn't going to last as long.

Referee is going to ring the bell as Joe has Punk in the rear naked choke but Ricky Steamboat sees Punk's twitching fingers and tells the referee.

Joe desperate cheats using the ropes on a roll up getting "Fuck you, Joe!" chants.

Yeah, it's the best one.

I just rewatched all 3 - I'd call it ***** for the first, ****3/4 for the second, **** for the third. Last one had the Steamboat nonsense with the ring bell and was way too short for a heavily hyped "no time limit" match.

Crowd was 50/50 for the first, 70/30 Punk for the second and 70/30 Joe for the third - the crowd not being behind Punk for the last match was a bummer.

If their match this weekend was part of the first-round, I'd say they should do a 20-minute draw to preserve the "Punk never beat Joe" aspect of their rivalry. Like how Jerry Lynn always insisted (even in late TNA) that he should never go over RVD.

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I just rewatched all 3 - I'd call it ***** for the first, ****3/4 for the second, **** for the third. Last one had the Steamboat nonsense with the ring bell and was way too short for a heavily hyped "no time limit" match.

Crowd was 50/50 for the first, 70/30 Punk for the second and 70/30 Joe for the third - the crowd not being behind Punk for the last match was a bummer.

If their match this weekend was part of the first-round, I'd say they should do a 20-minute draw to preserve the "Punk never beat Joe" aspect of their rivalry. Like how Jerry Lynn always insisted (even in late TNA) that he should never go over RVD.

I liked that subversion in the third match. I'd be cool with a draw to get a longer match but I don't think it goes to a tie.

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I liked that subversion in the third match.

Looking at Cagematch, Punk had just worked a 59-minute match with Chris Hero in IWA-MS a week before his third match with Joe, so I wonder if he decided on a shorter match with Joe to not take shine off the Hero match

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Would it have hurt Omega for Yuta to have pulled off a shitty heel win by kayfabe exploiting Kenny's injuries sustained during his match with Osprey at Forbidden Door?

Yeah, kinda. Singles Kenny is like a final boss for heels in AEW. What you described was the finish to the AITA match, which was still huge for Wheeler since he can always claim he pinned* Kenny in a ppv main event. In a singles Dynamite main, though, you protect Kenny not Wheeler. Wins like the one Ospreay got at Forbidden Door mean a lot less when a midcarder like Wheeler can beat Kenny with some light cheating or lingering injuries.

• Like 8

Obviously happy that we are getting it, but sort of crazy that they are burning what is for me the most anticipated matchup in all of wrestling on a semifinal match in front of a couple thousand people in Saskatchewan. If it’s not a draw and a rematch in front of a much bigger crowd Tony is lighting some money on fire.

Edited by Jrag

14 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Obviously happy that we are getting it, but sort of crazy that they are burning what is for me the most anticipated matchup in all of wrestling on a semifinal match in front of a couple thousand people in Saskatchewan. If it’s not a draw and a rematch in front of a much bigger crowd Tony is lighting some money on fire.

I can't think of a more historic venue than the home of the Regina Pats, winners of the 1925, 1928, 1930, and 1974 Memorial Cups.

• Like 3

"Do it! Do it! Do it!" - MJF doing big, stupid 1980s heel schtick is phenomenal. Give me much more of this! Daddy magic also had some great lines here, "I was not grabbing the ropes! Do not check! Aaaggh!" as he got hit in the yambag by MJF after Cole told the ref there was cheating afoot.

Darby Allinn is a messy bitch who loves the drama! He's always in the ear of someone telling them how he's disappointed by them. So many kids with either Darby face paint or OC double denim - they're my choice to win the tourney.

I feel for the Acclaimed, they're really in a holding pattern right now and with the trios and tag titles both currently residing on Collision I don't see that changing soon. We're in diminishing returns territory now.

• Like 1