DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Murder Grandpa 101. Smiling Suzuki is even scarier Suzuki.

Ok, so I'm sorry, but I'm going to dredge up the recent talk of how looks play into a wrestler's presentation, etc.

Watching Dynamite this week, Suzuki comes out. I explain to my son that he is a super-tough guy that people are really scared of. He tells me, "He looks like an old man. He's not scary. I bet you could beat him up."

So, to the eye of the casual fan (my son) I am much more imposing than Minoru Suzuki. That being established, obviously TK (and really the whole of pro wrestling) is making a huge mistake by not pushing me more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I am absurdly behind this week and it'll only get worse as we get into tonight and tomorrow and Sunday. But I did see the six-man and Darius' hierarchical responses to Suzuki was probably the most interesting parts of the match. I'm sure he was agented to do this but by selling the way he did, he put over Suzuki huge and in doing so, got over his own defiance even though he ultimately got floored on the exchanges. He was brave for even trying.

I'm curious @Log what your kid thought as the match went on and Darius got floored twice after giving Suzuki his best stuff.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm curious @Log what your kid thought as the match went on and Darius got floored twice after giving Suzuki his best stuff.

I think by that point he'd gone back into the battle royal he was having with my old WWF LJN wrestlers (Andre ALWAYS wins).

He tends to watch the entrances, and if it's someone he's into (Lucha Bros, Orange Cassidy, Mox, Adam Cole(!)), he'll keep watching. If not, he's usually putting on his own matches.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Impact did there own version of Murder Grandpa recently where Sami Callahan made Eddie Edwards wrestle Ken Shamrock, I think these angles only work if you know the respective histories of these men in MMA/pro wrestling 

Ah, man... I agree and disagree at the same time. On the one hand, you know me, I always love a good video package or 'Road To...' - I'm an ADHD sufferer, so context is ALWAYS king; why do you think I use so many parentheticals in my posts? But let's use these two examples we're on now: Suzuki has been on AEW TV at least a dozen times now, including last year's FD, and even if you're a new fan, between Excalibur's pitch and 'KAZE NI NARE!' blowing the roof off the place, I think it's pretty obvious to even the illest-informed eye that he's a huge deal. Shamrock was iMPACT's first champion, did a pretty decent rating semi-recently fighting the late Kimbo Slice in Bellator, was always IC/tag level or above in the WWF during the hottest period ever (not to mention refereed the greatest match of all time in the main event of WM XIII, then wrestled The Rock for the IC title the next year in Boston at XIV), and is probably one of the wider-known names in MMA that a 'casual fan' would know. I do agree it's helpful to know WHAT exactly makes these guys a huge deal, but it's not like it used to be, where you'd just have to kinda take their word for it that Ultimo Dragon or whoever is a big deal overseas - anyone so inclined could pull out their phone and watch either guy's shit with relative ease

• Like 1

I finally caught the OC tag! It was very enjoyable. It went through two commercial breaks! I like how dominant Shibata has been against guys like Moriarty and how ZSJ could hang with him. Hierarchy is a good thing! The OC/Garcia stuff was a lot of fun because their last match was brutal and violent. Cassidy's selling in unconventional moments is basically all time great. That's the trick with running a gimmick like this. Care about nothing but register everything. It's genius.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

@Zakk_Sabbathyou are correct how ever I think it’s good to ask “is this connecting with everyone “ such as small children not just us wrestling nerds. Also you have announcers USE THEM, make sure everyone is clued in

One of the things that is difficult to pull off that doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to pull off is being welcoming and helpful to the first time or casual viewer while also not insulting the intelligence of your regular viewer. It's easy to get lost in the weeds and think that because you know it and understand it, others will too, but that's simply not true.

That's why whenever I do any sort of presentation, and when I announced, I tried to separate myself from what I knew and thought "if I was watching for the first time, what would help me understand better". That doesn't mean breaking things down to the most base levels, but it means explaining why things are important, why they carry weight, what can help people think it's a big deal, and all while not sounding like a megadoofus so my credibility gets ruined.

Tough balance to strike.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

anyone so inclined could pull out their phone and watch either guy's shit with relative ease

Is there something preventing Tony from using old ROH footage on AEW television?

A 2 minute package about why Joe vs. Punk is important might have brought along more Dynamite fans to watch the Collision 6-man who weren't otherwise familiar with their history.

Assuming everyone's going to waste their time going back and freeze-framing the match listings while Excalibur announces them rapid-fire like an idiot seems like a stretch.

It shouldn't be the burden of the viewer to care about something - the television show's supposed to make us care.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

UE vs CHAOS. Did the camera work seem WAY more hyperactive than usual to anyone else? The delayed gratification of UE interrupting the group hug was the good kind of bullshit. In m opinion, if Cobb, Archer, or Keith Lee are in a match, dudes should be getting yeeted. "Does Yoh get confused during Max Caster's rap" was commentary gold.

Things get filthy on Rampage plus Royce Isaacs! STOKED for Filthy Tom. He's the best.

The Acclaimed . This will never get old. Crowd still pops for it. "You have SO many enemies." Cool they could squeeze more commentary gold in during such a short match.

Hopefully the pop and "He's gay!" chant gave some hateful grandpas a massive conniption fit. Because otherwise that segment was BRUTAL.

Sky vs Anna was not, in my humble opinion, one of the better recent AEW ladies matches. I have higher hopes for Athena vs Starkz.

It's time for the MAIN EVENT!  "I don't know much about you, but that's okie-Douki" Meh on paper but (mostly) YOWZA in execution. Love when that happens. Some nice storytelling here. I find Sanada to be handsome, talented, and almost bizarrely lacking in charisma. Kind of like an advanced Japanese Shawn Spears. This was merely a good hour of pro wrestling TV overall, in my opinion. Below average for AEW, but still good.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Kind of like an advanced Japanese Shawn Spears.

Yujiro?

You love crazy, sexy, cool SANADA alone. He's the magic man, mama (sorry, Daddy Magic).

Also, DVDVR STAND UP AS WE GOT ANOTHER FORMER DVDVR MEMBER ON AEW TV! 

• Like 5

I had read on FB that the crowd kind of turned on JBJP and while I would say that it was more they got behind that great match and the work done by Douki (who I had never even heard of before) I do think the AEW audience is ready for Perry to do something interesting finally.

Opener was hot, Ospreay is honestly the prick that MJF is striving to be. I will always enjoy Jeff Cobb but I would have enjoyed a lot more of him (please sign Jeff Cobb). When Ospreay and Fletcher are tagging I sometimes can’t tell them apart but I am a fan of Fletcher and not just because he is now dating Skye Blue.

Speaking of, as a huge fan and someone who needs to settle down, that was not Skye Blue’s best work and she is probably still not ready to be leading a match with someone less experienced and also still learning not fighting from underneath. I expect Skye to pay back her win over Ruby next week and I’m fine with that. Anna Jay is someone who needs the reps and they need to figure out more for her to do.

The Cole-MJF got its point across well with the mute button on.

Not sure why Tony Khan hates money (I know he has a lot thanks to dad) but slowly burying the Acclaimed sure is an odd choice. I saw about Johnny Swinger signing which was the biggest WTF of 2023. And then to throw the albatross that is QTV into the mix? At least Bowens got to be out and proud to a huge pop! Otherwise that was pure Wrestlecrap and needs to be thrown into the circular file to never be mentioned again.

Ended the run of good shows, but tomorrow should be good and PPV should be an all-timer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yujiro?

You love crazy, sexy, cool SANADA alone. He's the magic man, mama (sorry, Daddy Magic).

Also, DVDVR STAND UP AS WE GOT ANOTHER FORMER DVDVR MEMBER ON AEW TV! 

Enlighten me please?

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I had read on FB that the crowd kind of turned on JBJP and while I would say that it was more they got behind that great match and the work done by Douki (who I had never even heard of before) I do think the AEW audience is ready for Perry to do something interesting finally.

Opener was hot, Ospreay is honestly the prick that MJF is striving to be. I will always enjoy Jeff Cobb but I would have enjoyed a lot more of him (please sign Jeff Cobb). When Ospreay and Fletcher are tagging I sometimes can’t tell them apart but I am a fan of Fletcher and not just because he is now dating Skye Blue.

Speaking of, as a huge fan and someone who needs to settle down, that was not Skye Blue’s best work and she is probably still not ready to be leading a match with someone less experienced and also still learning not fighting from underneath. I expect Skye to pay back her win over Ruby next week and I’m fine with that. Anna Jay is someone who needs the reps and they need to figure out more for her to do.

The Cole-MJF got its point across well with the mute button on.

Not sure why Tony Khan hates money (I know he has a lot thanks to dad) but slowly burying the Acclaimed sure is an odd choice. I saw about Johnny Swinger signing which was the biggest WTF of 2023. And then to throw the albatross that is QTV into the mix? At least Bowens got to be out and proud to a huge pop! Otherwise that was pure Wrestlecrap and needs to be thrown into the circular file to never be mentioned again.

Ended the run of good shows, but tomorrow should be good and PPV should be an all-timer.

Well they've got Johnny Television's wife signed up so it makes sense in that aspect.

On the QTV note, maybe we'll see Harley Cameron take on Statlander for the TBS title before we know it.

17 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Well they've got Johnny Television's wife signed up so it makes sense in that aspect.

On the QTV note, maybe we'll see Harley Cameron take on Statlander for the TBS title before we know it.

I guess the monkeys paw says that you get Juice Robinson and Roderick Strong, but you also get Johnny Swinger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

AEW wishes they had a talent as incredible as Johnny Swinger!

Since AEW uses Sting, Dustin Rhodes, Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Jericho, Christian, Luther, Christopher Daniels, and the Hardys, Johnny Swinger wouldn't even be in the top ten oldest active performers on the combined AEW/ROH roster.

I would also add in Keith Lee since spiritually he looks like he's 70 with the gray. He looks like he could have wrestled as Luther Lindsay's cousin back in the day and still somehow wrestles today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess the monkeys paw says that you get Juice Robinson and Roderick Strong, but you also get Johnny Swinger

This is Johnny Nitro/Mundo/What you will, that being said. Sure, bring in any and all WCW alums that are still wrestling. (Exception being Disco Inferno).

Hell, bring Disco Inferno too. As someone for all the members of the roster to practice their finisher on.

"MJF, as we go into this main event against Hiroshi Tanahashi, are you ready?"

"That's a stupid question. I mean if I wasn't ready, would I do this?"

(puts Disco in the Salt of the Earth, and holds it for a good fifteen seconds despite Disco tapping and screaming)

"yes, you probably would do that anyway."

"You know what? For once, you made a good point."

(goes back, puts Disco Inferno in the Salt of the Earth again, camera fades 15 seconds later with Disco still tapping and screaming in pain)

• Like 1

Adam Cole attacked by a board member … and all was right in the world

What was the chant that Excalibur commented on that was directed at Harley?

Johnny Television was previously know on AEW television as Johnny Elite… how quickly we forget

lota John Cena references 

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I find Sanada to be handsome, talented, and almost bizarrely lacking in charisma.

Sanada has charisma. Its personality he lacks. They aren't the same thing as much as they compliment each other.