DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

Updated card after Collison:

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada.

AEW World Championship. MJF (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. SANADA (c) vs. Jungle Boy.

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship. Kenny Omega (c) vs. Will Ospreay.

AEW Women's World Championship. Toni Storm (c) vs. Willow Nightingale.

AEW International Championship. Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Daniel Garcia.

Minoru Suzuki/Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara vs. Sting/Darby Allin/Tetsuya Naito.

Claudio Castagnoli/Jon Moxley/Wheeler Yuta/Konosuke Takeshita/Shota Umino vs. Hangman Adam Page/Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson/Eddie Kingston/Tomohiro Ishii.

Owen Hart Cup Men's Quarter-Final. CM Punk vs. Satoshi Kojima.

Adam Cole vs. Tom Lawlor.

---

Zero Hour pre-show: 

Shingo Takagi/Hiromu Takahashi/BUSHI vs. Jeff Cobb/Kyle Fletcher/TJP.

El Phantasmo vs. Stu Grayson.  

Trent Baretta/Rocky Romero/El Desperado vs. Swerve Strickland/Toa Liona/Kaun).

Owen Hart Cup Women's Quarter-Final. Athena vs. Billie Starkz.

• Like 2

Great having Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi here having sorely missed the first Forbidden Door. Interesting Jay White isn't on the show. Heat on White?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Great having Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi here having sorely missed the first Forbidden Door. Interesting Jay White isn't on the show. Heat on White?

I doubt its heat, since it is co-promoted they may just be honoring the "Jay White can't wrestle in New Japan" stipulation from when he left the promotion. He is a man of his word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don’t forget MJF, Jungle Boy, and SANADA! 

Good shout.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I doubt its heat, since it is co-promoted they may just be honoring the "Jay White can't wrestle in New Japan" stipulation from when he left the promotion. He is a man of his word.

I forgot about that stipulation. Cheers.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Good shout.

I’m mostly joking, because the key pieces you mentioned (as well as Okada not being parked in a four way) are the big reasons this year’s show will top last year’s. But I’m here for SANADA-Perry over-delivering and any MJF match in general. 

• Like 2

Even though I just said in the other thread how Tanahashi is kinda broken, I do think he and MJF can have a good match. MJF's style can be slower and more deliberate, he can get his heat without having to do spots that would make Tanahashi look slow/out of place. I'm not saying it will be a five star match or anything but if they have a good plan it could be a stealthy entertaining match if they lean into "work smart, not hard" to get around the limitations and lack of time in the ring together.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Even though I just said in the other thread how Tanahashi is kinda broken, I do think he and MJF can have a good match. MJF's style can be slower and more deliberate, he can get his heat without having to do spots that would make Tanahashi look slow/out of place. I'm not saying it will be a five star match or anything but if they have a good plan it could be a stealthy entertaining match if they lean into "work smart, not hard" to get around the limitations and lack of time in the ring together.

MJF bloodying Tanahashi and taking his place in G1 would be super

If he did G1, it would be fun just having Excalibur seriously reporting his point totals weekly using MJF as his only source.

"After night one, MJF is at....780,344 points? I am not sure if that's mathematically possible after having wrestled once. But anything is possible in pro wrestling. Back to the action..."

• Haha 3

Nigel sure is planting some seeds on this show.  Between him and Kelly reminiscing over Nigel’s ROH title run and referring to Bryan as a “pasty clam digger” in the FD rundown.  Nigel also pushed the similarities of him and Andrade’s injuries.  Getting Nigel a big moment would put a big bow on a huge part of my 2006/7 ROH obsession.  The entrance at Wembley alone might might make this blackhearted old man roll a tear.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
The Final Countdown and Fucking in the Bushes I’m betting is on the table considering the word going around about Europe guy selling his publishing.
  • Like 4

Which three matches are you most looking forward to?

Mine:

3. Sting/Tetsuya Naito/Darby Allin vs. Minoru Suzuki/Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara.

2. Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Glad I saved my Double or Nothing 2023 money for Forbidden Door 2023.

If you get a deal on it on FITE at some point, I think you should still get Double or Nothing at a later date, but for now, considering your favorites, this was the obvious choice if you were only going to get one or the other! You know me, I'm getting everything! I don't give a shit at this point. I will watch it when I get around to it, but I just want to have a back catalogue that doesn't fail me when I need to be entertained!

Edited by Shartnado
didn't edit anything, but Holy run-on sentence, Batman, on the first one!
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Storyine wise Jay is banned from NJPW due to Eddie Kingston.   I think they missed an opportunity of having jay use Forbidden door to go after SANADA, but they prob don't want Jay taking losses right now.

Jay definitely put folks over like a champ on his way out, I doubt there's heat.  They might also be trying to avoid confusion between BC Gold and wish.com BC that NJPW has right now with Finlay.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Casey said:

My top two is the same as yours, but at #3 I’ve got Athena/Starkz (probably tied with Kojima/Punk)

Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If given enough time, Stu Grayson/EL Phantasmo could be the sleeper match of the show.

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

If you get a deal on it on FITE at some point, I think you should still get Double or Nothing at a later date, but for now, considering your favorites, this was the obvious choice if you were only going to get one or the other! You know me, I'm getting everything! I don't give a shit at this point. I will watch it when I get around to it, but I just want to have a back catalogue that doesn't fail me when I need to be entertained!

Thank you. Thank you especially for the Batman reference in the reason for editing your post.

9 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Storyine wise Jay is banned from NJPW due to Eddie Kingston.   I think they missed an opportunity of having jay use Forbidden door to go after SANADA, but they prob don't want Jay taking losses right now.

Jay definitely put folks over like a champ on his way out, I doubt there's heat.  They might also be trying to avoid confusion between BC Gold and wish.com BC that NJPW has right now with Finlay.

Yeah, I forgot that stipulation when I made my post. Ironic as White/Kingston favourite matches this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Mine:

3. Sting/Tetsuya Naito/Darby Allin vs. Minoru Suzuki/Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara.

Okada/Danielson

Omega/Ospreay

Shibata/Garcia/Sabre Jr/Cassidy

HM:  Natio/Darby/Sting v MiSu/Jericho/Guevara.   Kingston/Ishii/Hangman/Bucks v Mox/Shota/Yuta/Claudio/Takeshita, Starkz/Athena

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Mine:

3) OC-4 way

2) Sanada vs Jungle Boy

1) Kenny v Ospreay / Danielson v Okada (are you kidding me, both obviously!)

Edited by Shartnado
missed a y on Ospreay!
  • Like 1