DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

Trent vs Avalon was a solid opener that the crowd stayed hot for.  Nice to see the Outrunners win a match and get promo time on here. Equally nice to see Emi Sakura with a victory over KEL, though I wish they got a little more time, Emi matches always rule.  Speaking of matches I wish got more time, I love the enhancement team of Johnnie Robbie & Brooke Havok, both two of my fav standouts on the indys but here they get killed quick by Athena & Billie. Billie doing as Athena does is always fun, guessing it will end up Athena vs Billie at Final Battle.

On the other end of the women's tags, Leyla & Rachael vs the Renegades was awesome. Loved Leyla as the babyface hot tag coming in throwing bombs as the crowd was hot for it and the Renegades always deliver. Nice post match with Leyla ending up in the middle of Maria & Rachael.  the Boys beat the Boyz.  Marina Shafir looked killer in her squash, definitely always someone I wanna see more of on the Honor Club. 

Thought Vikingo/Komander vs. Sydal/Daniels was excellent and got more time than I expected. Great main event from Kingston/Dalton and I really liked Dalton's earlier promo setting it up. Lexy was on fire all night with the backstage promos. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Log said:

I thought Kingston said in his promo that there would be a new Continental Championship, but wasn't sure I was hearing that right.

I guess this Continental Championship is "Intra-"?

3 titles together, for 3 promotions (AEW, NJPW, ROH) Just one of the championships is the new championship, the AEW Continental Championship. Tony Khan is consolidating the 3 into one.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aew-full-gear-media-scrum-notes-tony-khan-on-continental-classic-ronda-rousey

I don't know yet what they plan to do with all those titles histories. Unifications aren't universal when it comes to what will happen to the title histories and records.

It's four corner survival night. The women's one was way short but everyone got a little bit of shine, the tag one was fun with Jorel Nelson & Royce Isaacs looking impressive despite being the only non-ROH team and not getting an entrance, almost looked like they could win but I'm glad to see the WorkHorsemen pick up a win. The men's 4 way shocked me with a nice Big Shotty win, thought for sure Willie Mack was winning that one.  Shibata vs Trent made a solid opener along with the Ethan/Nese rematch and their feud continuing and Yuta/Moriarty in pure rules.

Surreal to see Ronda Rousey on the Honor Club. I was sad they overdubbed her music though. Surprised they acknowledged/showed footage of the Revolver match, I thought that was a no contest but they said here DQ. Thought the match was an absolutely fantastic main event. Great back and forth all throughout. Ronda looked excellent and like she was having a blast the whole time, thought everyone here shined. Loved the double teams, thought Marina's slingshot into Ronda's piper's pit move could've been the finish and Billie/Athena's gory bomb into double knees looked good. Billie's Swanton while Ronda had Athena in the armbar ruled. Figured when Athena was going up that Billie was going to tag herself in and cost them the match, but a great finisher overall in leaving it open that Athena seemingly had Ronda beat with the O-Face originally. This was a lot of fun and I'm definitely down for more Ronda of Honor.

• Like 4

This Friday will be two weeks out from Final Battle and nothing is announced aside from the Survival of the Fittest match. I had to cancel my Honor Club subscription due to finances (but going to sign up again on the 1st) and haven't really been keeping up aside from the recaps they put on YouTube. What could the card look like, especially with Eddie in the Continental Classic as ROH Champ. Do we get an Athena and Ronda main event for the Women's Belt? Or Athena vs Billie?

Edited by brynn9292

well looks they finally pulled the trigger on Billie vs Athena today.  and judging from the crowd reaction going with this instead of Rousey was the best decision.   Although I am not sure that Billie is winning or even if she should win.  just hope it doesn't involve Lexie Nair interference 

• Like 1

Opening up this week with Athena responding to Eddie Kingston's promo calling out other world champions was great.  Speaking of Eddie, nice solid opening bout with Big Shotty coming off Lee's 4 way win. 

Emi vs. Adora was good while it lasted, would've liked to go a little longer. Leyla Hirsch's squash of Heather Reckless was fun. 

Billie vs Marina was great, almost thought Marina would win and get the next shot. Then the entire post-match segment was greatness. Loved the tension and build to finally setting up in the inevitable Athena vs Billie match. Then Coach Tony! shows up to make it official.  Very much looking forward to it.

Dalton vs Evil Uno was pretty solid as Dalton is the first to advance to Survival of the Fittest. Komander/Gringo was wild. A couple missteps but stuff like the inverted spanish fly was awesome. 

Ethan Page vs Tony Nese rematch with Mark Sterling handcuffed to the post setup for Final Battle.

Lots of tag matches between Infantry/Boys, Cutler/Cabana squash, LFI vs SAP which was pretty good. and Iron Savages vs Butcher & Blade, who it was good to see back on the air and winning!

Nyla Rose ROH Debut, could be a solid addition as a regular. Zoey Lynn always looks great even when just a squash victim.

Good main event from Brian Cage and Action Andretti. Longer episode of Honor this week at a little over 2 hrs. 

• Like 1

My guess is that we know more tonight but if I had to make the tough call on what to do with the ROH PPV and Eddie, I'd either just do Eddie vs Claudio's Continental Classic match on the ROH PPV or do a fight without honor with the two of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

My guess is that we know more tonight but if I had to make the tough call on what to do with the ROH PPV and Eddie, I'd either just do Eddie vs Claudio's Continental Classic match on the ROH PPV or do a fight without honor with the two of them.

Good call, I like the idea of having their CC match on the PPV - I think having a tourney match with AEW main show/title implications would be a great way to build interest for the ROH show. With their match at Grand Slam having been so great too, I could see them picking up a handful of extra last minute buys based on the match being a "proven commodity" to the AEW TV audience.

• Like 3

Early this morning TK tweeted a 2 hour, 46 minute video recapping the entire Athena-Billie Starkz angle. (Fully out of the loop on ROH, but I'm going to try to watch it!)

Anyway, due to the length of the video, I just saw someone refer to it as "Killers of the Ember Moon"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm trying to get back into the loop on ROH after missing a few weeks. This weeks episode was pretty good. The standout match was Billie vs. Marina. I'm starting to get all the hype with Billie Starkz. The post match with the graduation was great. Lexi really sold the whole thing so well. I loved Billie snapping at the end of all of it and going after Athena. Billie vs. Athena should be a damn good match. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for Athena's reign to end.

• Like 2

The Ronda/Marina vs Athena/Billie was awesome, with nice continuation the following week with Billie vs Marina. The MIT graduation ceremony afterwards being the thing that made Billie snap was good and it was a nice nod to Billie's own graduation, except totally opposite. I was very happy for Lexi though, she totally deserved it after having Athena's back during the Eddie Kingston-promo!

Well, now it's Billie's time to show if she learned anything studying under Athena's learning tree, or was this just an extended lesson in bullying?

There was some other good matches within those two episodes, was happy to see Butcher and The Blade show up. Komander vs Gringo Loco was pretty insane and one would think Dalton Castle would be the obvious choice for the next TV champion. Need to watch Andretti vs Cage again, because I dozed off. The idea of that match intrigues me, at least.

• Like 3

Gringo Loco's Spanish Fly Stroke was the move of the year but no one will ever see it. My big problem with Loco is that he hits stuff that should end the match but never does. He never wins but whatever he hits before losing is always more impactful and insane than whatever he loses to.

Spoiler

There was a Dralistico vs Serpentico exchange I hated. Sorry, Serp.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Gringo Loco's Spanish Fly Stroke was the move of the year but no one will ever see it. My big problem with Loco is that he hits stuff that should end the match but never does. He never wins but whatever he hits before losing is always more impactful and insane than whatever he loses to.

Reveal hidden contents

There was a Dralistico vs Serpentico exchange I hated. Sorry, Serp.

Yeah, I was thinking that if Loco had to do ALL that to try and win a match and still fail, how the hell is he ever going to win a match?

10 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I was thinking that if Loco had to do ALL that to try and win a match and still fail, how the hell is he ever going to win a match?

This is his normal finisher-

Dude is awesome and I hope they use him more often.

• Thanks 1