DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23 - WEEK 18

Dolfan in NYC

It's almost like Goddell and the rest of the executives got the nerds in Disaster Recovery/Contingency Planning and shoved them in a locker, and got caught with their pants down.  I'm genuinely astonished there was no plan in place other than "they keep on playing because we told them to."

I guarantee you there's someone advocating for fines for the teams for refusing to play.   

Anyway...   Tennessee has decided to roll out the white flag already.  Josh Dobbs will start Saturday night vs. Jacksonville.  

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Just push everything back. There is no point in having a bye week between the semifinals and Super Bowl

The point (well beyond the marketing, etc...) has always been to have the two teams as close to max strength to play the game

Not saying it should be that way - but that is what it was sold as (obviously some years have not had the extra week)

I’m surprised Fabrice Muamba’s name hasn’t come up. He collapsed on the pitch due to a cardiac arrest in an FA Cup game in 2012. He recovered, had to retire from playing, but is alive and well (and coaching professionally) today.

30 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Anyway...   Tennessee has decided to roll out the white flag already.  Josh Dobbs will start Saturday night vs. Jacksonville.  

That's not a white flag. That's Dobbs having played relatively well enough that they think he gives them a better chance than Willis

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's not a white flag. That's Dobbs having played relatively well enough that they think he gives them a better chance than Willis

Yea it says more about how not-NFL ready Willis is than anything else, but he still has time to develop hopefully.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea it says more about how not-NFL ready Willis is than anything else, but he still has time to develop hopefully.

I mean, they knew he was a project when they drafted him. But he definitely doesn't look ready to take over next year if they don't bring Tannehill back.

Last night's tragic circumstances really make everything else football related unimportant to me....especially with Hamlin being a Pitt guy. Hope he comes out of this being able to live a long, productive and healthy life.

• Like 6

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but this board probably has the most unique view on what happened last night because most of us went through the Owen Hart situation in real time. This felt as close to that situation as anything ever has. And it really really seems like The NFL stance on it was the same as Vince's. The show must go on. Take 5 minutes and let's start this thing back up. I'm proud of how both coaches and all the players banded together to say this man's life is more important than a game, we aren't playing.

I'd hate to speculate too much here. But I just hope for a better outcome than what it's seeming like. I'd just point out he positives I see stemming from the terrible tragedy. Fans in the arena were super respectful through the whole ordeal. That's not a given. There are certain fan bases that might not have reacted as politely. That was encouraging to see. It's also heartwarming to see so many people donate to his charity. To go from $5k to $5million in a day is amazing. People reaching out and doing something positive when we all feel so helpless is definitely a silver lining.

As for the logistics of what The NFL does, I have no idea. I'd hope no one in the league is going to make a fuss however it shakes out. It's not important. Give them both a tie. Call it forfeit and give them both losses. Give the Bengals a win / Bills a loss because of the score at the time it ended. None of them are ideal but it's not important enough to second guess. Just make a call and move on. There is zero percent chance they try to re-play or finish this game. It's over, it's a tragedy. We gotta move on. Just decide who gets losses or ties and tell the clubs to deal with it and go forward and hope for the best for Damar.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's over, it's a tragedy. We gotta move on.

I'd think the players and NFLPA are going to want reassurance that this isn't going to happen to anyone else. The Bills locker room didn't have enough players to field practice in late November because everyone was so sick. Since a common recommendation for recovery from (INSERT NAME OF VIRAL ILLNESS HERE) is to rest for 1-2 months, and these athletes clearly aren't doing that, they might all have vascular damage that could be exacerbated by a bad hit.

Damar lost a college teammate in 2020:

1 minute ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Since a common recommendation for recovery from (INSERT NAME OF VIRAL ILLNESS HERE) is to rest for 1-2 months, and these athletes clearly aren't doing that, they might all have vascular damage that could be exacerbated by a bad hit.

I have literally no idea what this insane rambling means. What viral illness needs 1-2 months of rest? How does any of that factor into the freak athletic phenomenon known as commotio cordis? Because that's what happened. Completely healthy people can suffer from this freak occurrence if taking chest impact at the exact nano second of the electrical impulse output of your heart beating. It has absolutely nothing to do with any viral anything or rest of any kind. It was a one in a million freak accident that can happen to any human (healthy or not) with chest impact.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's really no easy answer for the playoff seeding.  Bills beat the Chiefs. They have the tiebreaker.  

That tiebreaker doesn't really exist if the Bills and Chiefs don't play the same number of games though

The Bills have beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead twice in the last 2 seasons (both in the regular season), so it's not impossible for them to win in KC

The Chiefs owe a certain amount of their likelihood to get the 1 seed to the AFC West teams being incompetent (which is mostly a shot at the Broncos and Raiders, the Chargers have probably tried their best without really ever breaking through). So it's sorta like the years where the Patriots would be the only AFC East team worth a crap.

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Skip Bayless went on his show today and apologized (to anyone who might be offended)...  "for attempting to run a normal show" while all the Hamlin stuff is going on.   (jesus christ, fuck you Skip)

Shannon Sharpe did not show up to work today.  

Just saw Bart Scott's comments where he essentially blames Tre Higgins and they were far worse than Skip's tweet on numerous levels and for some reason he doesn't seem to be getting nearly as much heat. Absolutely disgusting, it was a clean play and nobody feels worse right now than Tre (it's like Rey Mysterio and Perro Aguayo with psychos sending him death threats).

• Like 3

Between the weird illness talk without specifying what the supposed illness is (and no it doesn’t take 1-2 months to recover from the virus), and then seeing stuff about teams supposedly not playing this week I’m starting to miss our pal from last week. He’d fit right in with this conspiracy theory nonsense.

Oh, and the Bengals player is Tee Higgins not Tre. I’m sure he does feel terrible too. 

Washington will start Taylor Heinicke this week though say that Sam Howell will also get playing time. Why you don't just play Howell the entire game is beyond me.

And the reason they aren't starting Carson Wentz (besides the whole being stinky thing) is Wentz's contract becomes guaranteed if he is injured at the end of the season so yeah... Wentz is never playing for the team again

Bridgwater is out for this weekend.   Tua is looking doubtful.  So as of now, Skylar Thompson will start the game vs. the Jets. 

And since they need a back up, Miami has signed:

That's right, Mike Glennon has been added to the practice roster. 

Edited by RIPPA
Whatever Pokemon that was wasn't working
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Washington will start Taylor Heinicke this week though say that Sam Howell will also get playing time. Why you don't just play Howell the entire game is beyond me.

And the reason they aren't starting Carson Wentz (besides the whole being stinky thing) is Wentz's contract becomes guaranteed if he is injured at the end of the season so yeah... Wentz is never playing for the team again

Well apparently after making that announcement and everyone bitching - the team is now all WHOA WHOA WHOA - No Decision has been made yet!

This team....

• Haha 2