DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Started Ted Lasso, and I'm mildly embarrassed how long it took me to figure out that the owner lady is the "Shame" Septa from Game of Thrones. I was like 8 episodes in. 

Don't feel bad, it took me until this years Eurovision to figure that out and it was only because one of the counties delegations made a joke about it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Started Ted Lasso, and I'm mildly embarrassed how long it took me to figure out that the owner lady is the "Shame" Septa from Game of Thrones. I was like 8 episodes in. 

It took me 2.5 seasons to realize who the actor that plays her ex-husband is.

4 hours ago, Robert S said:

It took me 2.5 seasons to realize who the actor that plays her ex-husband is.

You're faster than me. I have no idea. This show rules, though.

50 minutes ago, just drew said:

You're faster than me. I have no idea. This show rules, though.

It's Anthony Stewart Head, aka Giles from Buffy. He even has the same first name in Ted Lasso (Rupert). He has done a lot of stuff since Buffy (I guess Little Britain would be the most prominent thing I guess), none of which I have seen and, well, Head is now 20 years olders.

It took me awhile to realize or know Hannah Waddingham was the "SHAME!" woman from Game of Thrones. It took me less time to realize Anthony Head was Anthony Stewart Head and he played Rupert. The way that went down basically highlights my stupidity.

So I would see Anthony Head in the credits and then after a handful of episodes it clicked in my brain, wait, do they mean Anthony Stewart Head? And then I started wondering where the hell was Giles at in Ted Lasso. My wife goes, "you really are face blind, aren't you?" I did not, AT ALL, recognize Rupert as Anthony Head. In my brain, the look of Rupert is so vastly different than what Giles looked like. And yeah, there's an age difference there, but in my brain they look like completely different people.

BTW, I am pretty much face blind. There are some times where someone is really recognizable and I don't have a problem, like family members and stuff, but even then I sometimes have a hard time. It's very, very, very, very weird. I could walk past Brad Pitt on the street and not freak out because it just wouldn't click that I had passed  by Brad Pitt and the guy is pretty much my favorite actor.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went for me too (minus someone else making fun of me). In addition to face blindness I seem to be name blind as well (as in if you remove the middle name, I will have problems recognizing the name).

And the face blindness, let's just say if I meet someone in an unexpected place or I see someone for the first time after a couple of years, I will pretend that I did not see them and wait if they react on me. For example, last week when I was watering the flowers at the family grave, I saw a woman who I thought might be my cousin, but I was not sure so I waited for her to great me. That cousin lives in the same small town as me, though to be fair, I only see her every couple of years, she is 10 years older than me and therefore we basically had no relationship when I was a kid (and obviously neither do so now). It really was my cousin, by the way.

And people changing their hairstyle are completely fucking with my brain.

After going over the Wikipedia article of "prosopagnosia", funny that you should mention Brad Pitt, because he listed as suffering from face blindness as well, so he might not recognize you either. 😉

I saw Tony Head playing Frank N Further in the Rocky Horror Show in like 1990. Ade Edmondson and Gina Bellman were Brad and Janet.

At the time, Tony Head was mostly known for a series of Coffee adverts from the 80s, and for being Murray Head's brother.

His version of Sweet Transvestite was released as a single:

Anthony Head - Sweet Transvestite (7" Single) - YouTube

• Like 1

I saw Tony Head playing Frank N Further in the Rocky Horror Show in like 1990. Ade Edmondson and Gina Bellman were Brad and Janet.

At the time, Tony Head was mostly known for a series of Coffee adverts from the 80s, and for being Murray Head's brother.

His version of Sweet Transvestite was released as a single:

Anthony Head - Sweet Transvestite (7" Single) - YouTube

See, I look at that cover and I can see the guy that played Giles. I don't see the person that plays Rupert.

Maybe it's because Rupert has an evil goatee.

this week in Beavis and Butthead

Spoiler

A jealous Beavis decides to create his own costume after Butt-Head is given a hamburger costume to wear to promote Burger World's newest hamburger.

Tom Anderson's War Stories: Tom Anderson tells the story of his time serving in the Korean War fixing a farmer's kitchen pipe.

Old Beavis and Butt-Head get jobs working at a warehouse.

there'll be more episodes next week but I think this season is just about to end (it’ll end next week)

Spoiler

“Looks like only the boss gets to score with the robot”

Edited by Cobra Commander

On 6/22/2023 at 4:52 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Taylor Sheridan cranking out whole episodes of his show by himself in eight to ten hours is the least surprising thing he could admit to.  Definitely comes through on screen. 

That interview dropped while I was driving on a family vacation. We stopped for a restroom break and I forwent peeing so I could stay in the car and read it.

Hats off to the reporter for getting him to be so candid, and to his publicity team for apparently not paying attention at all.

I knew he was part of the investment team that bought 6666, but I never really connected that purchase to his Paramount deal and the sheer volume of shows he’s been churning out. It makes a lot more sense why he would choose to spread himself so thin now. Dude is in way over his head financially, and he’s probably gonna end up taking a visit to the train station if he can’t hold up his end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

That interview dropped while I was driving on a family vacation. We stopped for a restroom break and I forwent peeing so I could stay in the car and read it.

Hats off to the reporter for getting him to be so candid, and to his publicity team for apparently not paying attention at all.

I knew he was part of the investment team that bought 6666, but I never really connected that purchase to his Paramount deal and the sheer volume of shows he’s been churning out. It makes a lot more sense why he would choose to spread himself so thin now. Dude is in way over his head financially, and he’s probably gonna end up taking a visit to the train station if he can’t hold up his end.

That piece coming in the wake of this WGA strike, and Paramount getting in on the game of memory-holing shit that doesn't hit right out of the gate while this asshole is getting himself underwater on this ranch, is quite the look. Likewise, Kevin Costner, who's eaten plenty of shit in the media over the winding down of Yellowstone, comes off a whole lot better once people have seen what this douchebag has to say for himself. 

And full credit to the writer of the piece, who made sure they got in their shots in print. Some scathing stuff in there. 

• Like 1

I binged all of The Bear season 2 on Hulu. I watched it all over the course of two days. It was so fucking magnetic and one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen. It's ultimately going to be Successions awards to lose, but Jeremy Allen White, Oliver Platt, Ayo Edebiri, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Ebon Moss-Bachrach are going to give the Succession actors a run for their money. 

Tonally, this season was much different than last season and I kept wondering if we were going to get the chaos of the single take episode from season 1. And then we got it times 1,000 in the 7 Fishes episode. Holy fucking shit. I was not expecting that episode to last an hour. I was exhausted by the end of it. Just completely spent mentally. It felt like the first and only time I saw Requiem for a Dream. My brain just felt broken after watching it. I will definitely re-watch season 2, but I don't think I can watch the 7 Fishes episode again.

I just don't think I can say enough positive things about this season. The one puzzling thing to me is why drop all episodes at once on Hulu and not put any of it on FX? FX is basically starving for new content at the moment and it's only going to get worse. I think all they have that's new right now is Mayans and It's Always Sunny. I hope this doesn't mean that they're killing the show because the series needs a part 3 to close everything out. 

• Like 4

Oh yeah, season 2 of the Bear maybe had the best soundtrack ever.  A lot of callbacks to music being used in other movies. In one shot there's a poster of Rounders and then in the same episode or the next episode Baby I'm a Big Star Now by Counting Crows plays. Strange Currencies, one of my favorite REM songs gets used. They use The Day the Whole World Went Away, which was surprising as hell to hear. Holiday Road makes it's way into the playlist. Taylor Swift's Love Story gets almost the whole song played (yeah yeah, I like Taylor Swift, whatever). Again, another favorite song of mine, Throw Your Arms Around Me by Eddie Vedder makes it's way into one of the biggest moments of the season. Animal by Pearl Jam fucking rocks. And finally, what is probably the theme song for the series, New Noise by Refused gets play time again in a moment that had me pumping my fist.

I didn't think anything would top hearing Let Down by Radiohead get used in season 1's finale, but this soundtrack was even more surprising. I fucking love this series and I'm so happy I never worked in the restaurant industry.

EDIT: And if they're going to use so many Chicago native bands and artists, come on, let's get some Local H in season/part 3. Fuck, just use Bound for the Floor or get really nuts and use Hands on the Bible.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

Also finished S2 of The Bear this weekend, and I pretty much echo everything @Craig H said.

The line about "sorry, but daddy just needs a break from Taylor Swift" was SUPER relatable for me.

I really feel like this show is just operating on a higher level artistically than just about anything else on tv right now. The acting, writing, shooting, editing, music choices, directing, everything is just firing on all cylinders.

And while episode 6 will (justifiably) get all the talk. My favorites were probably 5 and 7. Between the two, you really get what I'd call the "emotional thesis" for this show.

It's just so heartening for me to see something so beautiful that a group of people came together to make. I don't know what else to say except that it just made me so happy watching this show.

• Like 1