DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

The best thing about the long ass discovery for the UFC anti trust lawsuit (I think Obama was still president when discovery started) is all the other promotions not wanting their dirt to come up. 

That and the last five weeks or so, we've been getting all the real purses that Ronda, Conor, Brock, etc. made trickling in. 

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The best thing about the long ass discovery for the UFC anti trust lawsuit (I think Obama was still president when discovery started) is all the other promotions not wanting their dirt to come up. 

That and the last five weeks or so, we've been getting all the real purses that Ronda, Conor, Brock, etc. made trickling in. 

Yeah, discovery is a loooooooong process for anti-trust matters, which is why cases like the MLW one often get settled rather than litigated (because keeping those lawyers on retainer is often way more expensive than whatever potential damages would get paid out anyway).

And discovery makes most people squeamish. It should. It's uncomfortable. Heck, my track record re: background is glistening and I've gone pale(r than usual) about vetting processes for some of my gigs.

• Like 2

I'm bringing this ninnery over here so as to not continue polluting the other thread.

Those gray lines are pretty fucking flat. Also consider that cable loses about 12-13% of its subscribers every year. WWE doing phenomenally does not mean AEW isn't doing very well.

Collision debuted before college football season, which began at the end of August. From September to present, Collision is also relatively flat, even with the loss of Punk. The momentary craters are PLEs, which no one expected Collision to be able to compete with.

The below link shows that Dynamite ticket sales are actually *UP* from Q4 last year to Q4 this year.

https://wrestlenomics.com/2023/12/13/wrestletix-aew-dynamite-wed-dec-13-college-park-center-at-arlington-tx/

Why did I have to do this again? Better question: why couldn't you have done this YOURSELF? None of this was behind a paywall.

I can't stress this enough -- don't jump into a discussion about numbers unless you're willing to do the (very minimal) homework.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dog said:

I can't stress this enough -- don't jump into a discussion about numbers unless you're willing to do the (very minimal) homework.

If you want to discuss ticket sales we can definitely do that.  I will pull the comparison numbers for the last time they were in each arena.  

12 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Yeah, discovery is a loooooooong process for anti-trust matters, which is why cases like the MLW one often get settled rather than litigated (because keeping those lawyers on retainer is often way more expensive than whatever potential damages would get paid out anyway).

And discovery makes most people squeamish. It should. It's uncomfortable. Heck, my track record re: background is glistening and I've gone pale(r than usual) about vetting processes for some of my gigs.

"whats this about a James Iha crush?"

• Sad 1

Well look at that. Three rock solid numbers for Collision. Sorry if that destroys anyone's narrative.

(no I'm not)

P.S. The movies TNT programmed in this spot before typically did about a 0.12 in the demo, if you're wondering how WBD might view this.

Edited by Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Hey(EW!) i made charts again showing the yearly ratings for each of the AEW shows and compared them with last year's. As a reminder, 2022 saw ratings normalize for Dynamite, with most of the upward and downward spikes smoothed over. That also gave them a higher overall average rating score. 

https://ibb.co/M1VKbkJ

Dynamite Ratings 2022 vs. 2023. solidly down across the board. 2022 had an average of 955.7 thousand, 2023 was at 864.3 thousand. 

https://ibb.co/ZSHwMKs

Rampage Ratings. i included 2021 on this just because the debut episodes are SO out of whack with reality due to the hugeness of Punk's initial signing. Interesting that it doesn't really see a sharp decline once Collision begins.

https://ibb.co/SPXWPmq

Collision ratings for 2023. red line shows when Punk left. not much data to compare to, but a very unsteady decline throughout its existence. 

edit: can't get the images to embed. tried multiple browsers, phone vs. pc, all that good stuff. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kang said:

Might have to use Firefox for images to embed. Or some other browser.

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

can't get the images to embed. tried multiple browsers, phone vs. pc, all that good stuff. 

or we could fix the board that has given people issues for years now and is continuously getting worse?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

or we could fix the board that has given people issues for years now and is continuously getting worse?

We don't have a 'fix the board' expert on staff, unless you are volunteering? 🙂

• Haha 1

So was thinking of going to the Dynamite taping at Pru Center and I check TicketScammer. They seem to have set up the building for maybe 5k and the get in price is $60. Look at what has been advertised and tell me who in their right mind is going to pay SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS to see that? 

34 minutes ago, sabremike said:

So was thinking of going to the Dynamite taping at Pru Center and I check TicketScammer. They seem to have set up the building for maybe 5k and the get in price is $60. Look at what has been advertised and tell me who in their right mind is going to pay SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS to see that? 

That might be a weird flex pricing thing with either really high or really low demand at the current moment (I have no idea how it works, honestly, other than that it's probably another fucking TM scam) because right now there are tickets as low as $25-27 on StubHub

Check Ticketmaster around 2-3pm on Wednesday. They often open up good seats for cheap. I got seats for me and my son for $40 each doing that. We were on the floor right on the ramp. He got high fives form Orange Cassidy and some others. Copeland even came over and mussed his hair. It was a blast. 

• Like 2

I’ve been checking out seats on Stubhub. Seats in a suite with parking and food included are around $90 including the bs fees. Not terrible but we’re approaching 1999 WCW levels of convincing someone to go with me.

Thurston went into Dynamite ratings a little more on Sunday. Total TV use during Dynamite's timeslot is down 8%, and Dynamite is down 9%. TV use in the demo at that time is down 14%, while Dynamite's demo is down 15%. So they're only slightly behind general cable-watching attrition. Ranking against competing programming is still high.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 10:50 AM, sabremike said:

You could have been there live for the GARCIA VS NANA DANCE-OFF?!?!?!

Dang. I sincerely hope you can find a better way to spend the $60 you saved by skipping that. Or found some cheap tix somewhere.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

You could have been there live for the GARCIA VS NANA DANCE-OFF?!?!?!

Dang. I sincerely hope you can find a better way to spend the $60 you saved by skipping that. Or found some cheap tix somewhere.

Paid $45 and yeah, show was awesome.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1