DVDVR Message Board

Good deals on GOG and Steam

Cliff Hanger

Does KoToR have a mod community on PC because if so... man. That really was some game. Might be worth buying again. I still have an old XBox and both the KoToR games, as well as Battlefront II which is also awesome. Hell, Battlefront II was my favourite XBox game for a while there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bundle Stars has a great Indie Legend bundle: Eight games for 3.99. Monaco, Guacamelee, and Divekick are part of the bundle.

http://www.bundlestars.com/

I have been waiting to play Guacamelee, and it's pretty fantastic. 2D Metroid with luchadores is a winning concept, well-executed.

Bundle Stars has a great Indie Legend bundle: Eight games for 3.99. Monaco, Guacamelee, and Divekick are part of the bundle.

http://www.bundlestars.com/

I have been waiting to play Guacamelee, and it's pretty fantastic. 2D Metroid with luchadores is a winning concept, well-executed.

I have reached peak PC gaming because I already own all the games in that from other bundles and haven't played most of them.

• Like 1

Haha that paid mods thing sure didn't last long.

The defenses of even attempting it were so great. "I deserve to be compensated", says one guy in PC gamer I've never heard of in the mod community. If you actually believed that you'd have done a lot more research into the laws and regulations of pro bono employment before modding for a decade.

I say that as someone that wrote a few of my own mods over the last decade.

I honestly wasn't even bothered by it because it seemed so obvious it was going to crash and burn from the moment it was announced. Valve has done some really weird things the last couple years. The BURNING INDIGNATION over it was a bit silly, but really no sillier than attempting to do it in the first place.

• Like 1

I didn't really mind people wanting to sell their mods, based purely on the fact that some of these people have done shitloads of work on these mods.  I don't understand why people get all butt hurt over people wanting to be paid for their work and/or time. 

The thing I found weird about the whole thing, and I didn't look into this much (because this whole thing seemed to come and go within a week). How did Steam plan to enforce this on any wide scale when the Skyrim Nexus, for all intents and purposes, IS the mod community and is a completely separate site? Would going into the pay program essentially have meant giving up access to promoting your work through the Nexus? Because if that was the case, the Steam workshop never had the capacity to handle certain large mods (ie, the giant weapon and armor packs full of texture files, some of the larger NPC mods), because they were way over the Steam Workshop file size limit. So if they weren't going to have a fair percentage of the most popular mods, what were they going to monetize? I know there are a lot of other games that were potentially involved in this but Skyrim is still puling 40 000 players a day and that's the game this was really about here.

I think the whole thing is more in the category of "badly thought out" than "actually harmful idea".

Would going into the pay program essentially have meant giving up access to promoting your work through the Nexus? Because if that was the case, the Steam workshop never had the capacity to handle certain large mods (ie, the giant weapon and armor packs full of texture files, some of the larger NPC mods), because they were way over the Steam Workshop file size limit.

Actually they were going to remove that size limit, it was part of the whole rollout of the paid mods.

It was still a dumb idea and to their credit Valve shut it down pretty quickly once the community made itself heard.  Valve has done an enormous service to small and independent developers with its Greenlight and Early Access options, this was a bad idea made, I like to think, in the same spirit.

Even with Greenlight... it's theoretically a good idea. And don't get me wrong there have been some great games that have been approved through the greenlight campaign. I can't remember what offhand is in my own catalogue from it other than Hammerwatch, but I'm confident saying there have been a lot of small company winners.

But even then I really wish they would crack down on "vote for our game on Greenlight and we guarantee* you a fee key when we get on Steam". (*"guarantee" being awfully open to interpretation more often than not).

Having said that, on the whole it's absolutely been a positive. It's a really solid way for smaller developers to get distributed to a massive audience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Current Humble Bundle is an "All Stars" edition, with World of Goo, Dustforce Dx & Super Meat Boy. More than the (current) average of $4.86 gets you Limbo, Braid, and Dungeon Defenders. More than $5.86 gets Risk of Rain and Antichamber.

As such, I have extra Steam keys for Dungeon Defenders and Risk of Rain. Anyone looking for them? PM me an email address and I'll happily kick one or both your way. Heck, I think it was someone here who gifted me my copy of Dingeon Defenders, so I'll happily pay it forward.