DVDVR Message Board

Good deals on GOG and Steam

Cliff Hanger

New batch of sales are up and Prison Architect at 80% off is a tremendous deal. I hated the idea of trivializing the abhorrent nature of western prisons and everything surrounding them but the game is really, really fucking good. The Evil Within is 75% off, Age of Mythology is 75% off and there's a big Borderlands sale too.

Hah, Gaijin Ent. had that video removed, what a bunch of shitbums. Basically, the video shot down the idea of video game companies price gouging but didn't rule out that what Gaijin did with their fighter pilot game was illegal. They upped the price of their DLC pack and then put it on sale for a dollar more than its original value. They claimed Rockstar had done something similar with GTA V.

Fresh the video is down...care to fill in what it's about?

Lots of people upset at Steam for false advertising and jacking up prices before doing the discounts.

Any specific examples of said price hikes?

It only happened with 1 thing. Arguably 2, but mostly 1. And it was a currency pack in a F2P plane game. One that no one plays.

GTA also did it, but they included Shark Points for GTA Online with it, so I don't count it.

The Internet is dumb.

How good is the Far Cry series? I'm thinking maybe about getting 3 for $7.49 but don't know if I want to spend $42 for the whole series.

I bought Don't Starve so far and plan to get more games as the sale goes on. I am hoping Grim Dawn goes on a bigger sale than the 35% sale that it has now. 

You'll hear varying opinions on Far Cry 2. The shooting is good and it's an interesting sandbox to play around in, but that game has a bunch of problems as well.

FC3 smoothed over those rough edges. Great game. The characters are douchebags and near impossible to root for, but the gameplay is top notch. FC4 is a bit more of the same, but still a fantastic game.

I've not played the first or Blood Dragon, so no opinions there.

• Like 1

3 is awesome. well worth it.

I played it on ps3 and it was gorgeous, even despite ubi not fully understanding the infrastructure and hardware.

I've got 4 on my pc, and it's breahtaking. Only played a few missions so far, but I love the look of it. The grappling hook is a weird addition, but will take me getting used to it...

Any thoughts on Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition? I've never played a Baldur's Gate game and $6.79 is a price I'm willing to spend, but the reviews are mixed. At least I know which opinions I can immediately discount here. Ha!

Haul so far: Wolfenstein TNO, Deadcore, Grimrock 2, Endless Legend, Talos Principle, Door Kickers.  Also got Commandos 2 and god help me, Deus EX HR DC.  Couldn't help it.  Footage of the new game had me pumped.  I'll just play new Wolfenstein all day saturday and see if I blow through the entire game.  That seems like an okay one time use game.  In a bit of a lull on Witcher 3.  Don't want to advance but I'm still playing a shitload.

My haul during this Steam sale is relatively small compared to years past. I almost got Endless Legend & Civ Beyond Earth but I decided to wait too late on this. I got Danmaku Unlimited 2, Van Helsing 3, Developer Alliance bundle, Humble Bundle - Retroism, This War of Mine, and The Guild Collection and that's it.

I'm thinking of getting Ryse and Dead Rising 3 since I don't have a Xbox One.

So far, I've grabbed Don't Starve, Oceanhorn and Hero Siege. Still have $10.50-ish in my Steam wallet, so I'll likely pick up at least 1-2 more games. Waiting to see if The Stanley Parable shows up as a flash/daily deal. I don't know that anything else on my wishlist will drop low enough in price to tempt me.

Yeah, so I've kind of splurged a bit with this Steam Sale.  Here's what I've bagged thus far:

Surgeon Simulator: Anniversary Edition  
The Banner Saga
This War of Mine
Prison Architect
Victoria 1 & 2 and all DLC bundle
Crusader Kings II: Europa Universalis IV Converter and Way of Life DLC
To The Moon  
Hate Plus  
LISA  
The Banner Saga  
Killer is Dead  
Napoleon: Total War  
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Sengoku Jidai and Saints and Heroes DLC  
Gunpoint  
Kentucky Route Zero 
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Magic 2015
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
One Way Heroics
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Picked up Sim City 4 on that deal and also noticed on Origin that Sims 4 was half off so I ended up buying the Deluxe Edition as well as Outdoor Retreat and Get to work expansion packs for like $80 total.

I still play Sims 3, so I figured this was a decent deal to finally upgrade.