DVDVR Message Board

Good deals on GOG and Steam

Cliff Hanger

I want to get Lego Marvel, but I don't have a controller. Can I use the keyboard for it? If not, what's the cheapest good solution?

Get a used ps3 or wired xbox 360 controller

Xbox One pads now work as well.

I want to get Lego Marvel, but I don't have a controller. Can I use the keyboard for it? If not, what's the cheapest good solution?

Get a used ps3 or wired xbox 360 controller

Xbox One pads now work as well.

As do Ps4 with a little tricking...but he said cheap

I ended up buying a lot on Steam & GOG during the sales -- off the top of my head, I got on GOG, Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, Empire Earth, Master of Magic, Master of Orion 1 & 2, SimCity 2000, BioForge, and Anvil of Dawn along with various free games (like Omerta, Torchlight & MagRunner).

On Steam, it was a lot of course. The highlights for me were Age of Mythology, Company of Heroes 2, Goat Simulator, Nidhogg, Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition, One Way Heroics, Payday 2, and Age of Wonders 1 & 2.

• 1 month later...

Tropico 4: Collector's Bundle is currently set at 99% off. This is most likely a pricing error on Steam's end, but those still count for us.

If you've got a few cents stuck in your Steam wallet, move quickly.

EDIT: Seems to have been fixed now. Back to a regular sale price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up that you can get a free Steam key for Warlock: Master of the Arcane from the Humble Bundle Store today. You have to fill in a captcha that for whatever reason is only working in Google Chrome, so be aware of that (EDIT: They're saying the captcha has been fixed for other browsers now).

I had my eye on this anyway because the short description of it is "Simpler version of Civilization V, but with wizards", so that's cool.

• 3 weeks later...

The other two games in the bundle (Hearts of Iron III and Victoria II) are quite a bit more spreadsheet-y than CK2 and EU4, but are still interesting experiences.  Plus with these 4 games and the magic of save converters (and some tweaking) you can play the same game from 1066 to almost the present day.  So that's cool.

Crusader Kings 2 is also free to play all weekend for anyone that might still be on the fence about it.

On one hand I can't wait to get my laptop back (assuming it hasn't been shot into the sun or something by now). On the other hand I am sad that my CK II game has been so badly disrupted by a three week delay that given the nature of the game I really feel like I should just start over again.

This weekend's Gog sale has Tesla Effect (the brand-new Tex Murphy mystery) for $8, Shadow Warrior 2013 for $10 (it's an amazing game, but it's been on sale so many times at that price it no longer feels exciting), Gone Home for $10 and a bunch of other stuff I'm not familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

Gog are advertising that a new publisher will be announced as joining their catalog Tuesday at 10a EDT. Activision would be the biggest 'get' that they don't have (beyond the Sierra games anyway), but somehow that seems unlikely. I can't really think of any boutique companies they don't already have that they'd have been pushing a week in advance as an announcement event.

GOOD parenting would be to skip X-Wing and go straight to TIE Fighter, or have him play Wing Commander 3 instead.

(Never liked the original X-Wing. Too arcadey for me, and WC's branching objectives and stories left me frustrated with XW's linearity. I realize that in modern Internet Land that makes me a total heretic. Don't care.)