DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

OK. So.

My friend Yoshiki (he's Kuuga's friend, which makes him my friend and me his friend) who promotes shows sent me a ticket for a Big Japan show.

Same friend who set me up with tickets for the Diana show a couple of years ago where I got to meet Jaguar Yokota.

I am mostly stoked. Live wrestling! 

But this will be the first time I have attended a Corona Era indoor show with no cheering or yelling, which will be very weird for me.

Also, I think I only recognise three names on the card. I didn't recognise too many names on the Diana card, either, and I had  a GREAT time at that show. I got to see Takumi Iroha for the first time. She is great! I

5hZUeMf.jpg

Sekimoto and Kasai and so on are on the poster. But they are not on the announced card as far as I can tell. 

Main event is Okabayash (one of the guys I know) vs Sou Daimonji (aka Daimonji So). Heavyweight title match. Never heard of So/Sou before I looked up this card.

G4cuFDn.jpg

Semi is my boy,my former drinking buddy,  Ultimate Spider Junior in a Jr. Title match! I am stoked. I think Kota Sekifuda is the champ here. Never heard of him. I'm assuming he's good, though, since he's the champ. USJ is great.

AnAVacb.jpg

The other wrestlers listed on th e BJ website are all guests. So maybe Sekimoto and Crazy Monkey and so on will be on the card... But maybe not! Who knows!

If memory serves, the capacity of the big hall at Abeno Kumin is in the 600-700 range so not a small show, but not a huge one  either.

The guests:

宮本裕向(暗黒プロレス組織666)
木髙イサミ(プロレスリングBASARA)
阿部史典(プロレスリングBASARA)
HUB
アンディ・ウー
谷口弘晃(プロレスリング紫焔)
晴斗希(道頓堀プロレス)

Yuko Miyamoto (666)

Isami Kitaka (Pro-Wrestling BASARA)

Fuminori Abe (Pro-Wrestling BASARA)

HUB (I know him. He's the third guy I know. He's great. Always entertaining. Bianca Belair stole his gimmick!)

Andy Wu (ex Zero1, right?)

Hiroaki Taniguchi (Pro-Wrestling Shiho)

Haruto Nozomi (Dotonbori Pro) (This is embarrassing. I definitely should know him! Dotonbori Pro is my friend Kuuga's promotion).

So.

@DEAN? Anybody? Daimonji? Sekifuda? Any of the guests?

Any of those names stand out? Ring a bell? Any potential Takumi.Iroha style new favourites there?

Also, if the main roster BJPW guys are on this card (or, like, out of the dudes on the poster) who should I be most stoked to see live?

Any help or advice will get a thank you trophy. Even if you didn't read carefully and explain who Sekimoto is or something. 

DoGF8f8.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

OK. So.

My friend Yoshiki (he's Kuuga's friend, which makes him my friend and me his friend) who promotes shows sent me a ticket for a Big Japan show.

Same friend who set me up with tickets for the Diana show a couple of years ago where I got to meet Jaguar Yokota.

I am mostly stoked. Live wrestling! 

But this will be the first time I have attended a Corona Era indoor show with no cheering or yelling, which will be very weird for me.

Also, I think I only recognise three names on the card. I didn't recognise too many names on the Diana card, either, and I had  a GREAT time at that show. I got to see Takumi Iroha for the first time. She is great! I

5hZUeMf.jpg

Sekimoto and Kasai and so on are on the poster. But they are not on the announced card as far as I can tell. 

Main event is Okabayash (one of the guys I know) vs Sou Daimonji (aka Daimonji So). Heavyweight title match. Never heard of So/Sou before I looked up this card.

G4cuFDn.jpg

Semi is my boy,my former drinking buddy,  Ultimate Spider Junior in a Jr. Title match! I am stoked. I think Kota Sekifuda is the champ here. Never heard of him. I'm assuming he's good, though, since he's the champ. USJ is great.

AnAVacb.jpg

The other wrestlers listed on th e BJ website are all guests. So maybe Sekimoto and Crazy Monkey and so on will be on the card... But maybe not! Who knows!

If memory serves, the capacity of the big hall at Abeno Kumin is in the 600-700 range so not a small show, but not a huge one  either.

The guests:

宮本裕向(暗黒プロレス組織666)
木髙イサミ(プロレスリングBASARA)
阿部史典(プロレスリングBASARA)
HUB
アンディ・ウー
谷口弘晃(プロレスリング紫焔)
晴斗希(道頓堀プロレス)

Yuko Miyamoto (666)

Isami Kitaka (Pro-Wrestling BASARA)

Fuminori Abe (Pro-Wrestling BASARA)

HUB (I know him. He's the third guy I know. He's great. Always entertaining. Bianca Belair stole his gimmick!)

Andy Wu (ex Zero1, right?)

Hiroaki Taniguchi (Pro-Wrestling Shiho)

Haruto Nozomi (Dotonbori Pro) (This is embarrassing. I definitely should know him! Dotonbori Pro is my friend Kuuga's promotion).

So.

Any of those names stand out? Ring a bell? Any potential Takumi.Iroha style new favourites there?

Also, if the main roster BJPW guys are on this card (or, like, out of the dudes on the poster) who should I be most stoked to see live?

Any help or advice will get a thank you trophy. Even if you didn't read carefully and explain who Sekimoto is or something. 

You know that Fuminori Abe RULES, right? Daimonji Sou is a Colega Pro regular, which means he's perfectly fine if you get him out of Colega Pro and in a normal promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Oh. I see he was trained by Munenori Sawa, of BattlArts (and lingerie Muto) fame!

I am more stoked now. Thank you.

He is soooo much better than anyone else in BASARA!  He is the Daniel Garcia of the sleazy Japanese indies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well you should also know Yuko Miyamoto, even though he's always listed as 666 he's been in BJW forever and I believe currently All Japan. His scaffold and light tubes match with Takashi Sasaki is possibly the highest mark for a BJW death match since the heyday of Honma/Yamakawa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's going to sound crazy to some but my feeling now is that WrestleMania 2 is a good show.

For years I had only seen the VHS version of the show (someone gave me the VHS as a kid) and it's cut up to hell. The matches are complete but the editing is weird and ruins the flow of the event. 

I watched the full live PPV version of the show on Peacock and I now feel the New York/Chicago/Los Angeles presentation works. 

In the full show they go from city to city and conduct live promos that I had never seen before and it makes the event feel much bigger in scope. We are also given the full entrances of all the participants, in the VHS the wrestlers are already in the ring.

The British Bulldogs vs. The Dream Team is easily MOTN. The Bulldogs were so ahead of their time it's crazy. They had the perfect combination of power, speed and technical prowess. There's some other fun matches too. Good show.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well you should also know Yuko Miyamoto, even though he's always listed as 666 he's been in BJW forever and I believe currently All Japan. His scaffold and light tubes match with Takashi Sasaki is possibly the highest mark for a BJW death match since the heyday of Honma/Yamakawa. 

The whole build up to the match with Kasai and Numazawa trying to beat some Death Match into him and isami, and then later egging him on to start getting Sasaki's attention was all hella fun, too. Don't know if I would have put up with that sort of nonsense without it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh hell yeah! I totally remember that dude now.

He and Isami Kodaka used to be a tag team!

I guess "Isami Kitaka" is actually Kodaka. Translation error, there.

Will they team in Osaka? Will they fight? The kind of guys where you wonder why they are working death matches when they are clearly athletic enough to make a living doing go-go-go style...

Oh, I am even more stoked now. Thank you.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:40 AM, Peck said:

It’s way easier to chant “WE WANT TABLES!” than “WE WANT HOLLOW CORE DOORS!” though.

HOLL 

OH 

CORE 

DOORS 

*clap clap clapclapclap* 

Can get the dueling chant as well - 

We want tay-bulz

"Holl-oh core doors"

We want tay-bulz 

"Holl-oh core doors"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gordlow said:

DoGF8f8.jpg

Not the biggest BJW watcher in the world, mainly because I sub to so many other services that it is hard to justify adding BJW Core to the list. But of the stuff I do check out here's the guys who I'd say are worth keeping an eye on.

Dean mentioned Fuminori Abe but let me second that, Abe is fantastic. So is his regular Tag partner Takuya Nomura (he was a standout in this year's great AJPW Champion Carnival), similar violently stiff guys.

Daichi Hashimoto is Shinya's son & he's really found himself in the last couple of years, he was a little bland but he's a real force now who is almost always worth watching.

I'd also say that watch for Kosuke Sato, he's still at young boy status but he's a really good prospect.

And yes, for some reason Google translate keeps liking to insist Kodaka is Kitaka, and Kodaka & Miyamoto do still often Tag together. Miyamoto had a really good Scaffold deathmatch with Drew Parker earlier this year, I think on the 5/5 Yokohama BJW show.

As far as the deathmatch scene, Big Japan really has stagnated. It's all guys who were around a decade ago. Yuki Ishikawa is really the only younger DM guy worth keeping an eye out on. All their other younger talent like Ueki, Sakuda, Parker ends up in Freedoms.

As for why? These people are proper mad, they love doing deathmatches for some inscrutable reason. I remember an interview with Suzu Suzuki where she talked about wanting to be able to show off scars from doing deathmatches while wearing her wedding gown one day. And this is a girl (19 year old) who not only has the talent to be at the top of any joshi group she wanted to, she has the look too. But she really enjoys doing deathmatches. 

Takes all sorts!

Edited by Kropotkin's Beard
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Jeff Hardy, TLC

There's certain posters birthdays I know 100%, you are in that group as my best friend who is like a brother to me shares it with you. Easy to remember for that reason.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

There's certain posters birthdays I know 100%, you are in that group as my best friend who is like a brother to me shares it with you. Easy to remember for that reason.

I think have already asked this before, but it's not Scott Steiner, by any chance?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's going to sound crazy to some but my feeling now is that WrestleMania 2 is a good show.

For years I had only seen the VHS version of the show (someone gave me the VHS as a kid) and it's cut up to hell. The matches are complete but the editing is weird and ruins the flow of the event. 

I watched the full live PPV version of the show on Peacock and I now feel the New York/Chicago/Los Angeles presentation works. 

In the full show they go from city to city and conduct live promos that I had never seen before and it makes the event feel much bigger in scope. We are also given the full entrances of all the participants, in the VHS the wrestlers are already in the ring.

The British Bulldogs vs. The Dream Team is easily MOTN. The Bulldogs were so ahead of their time it's crazy. They had the perfect combination of power, speed and technical prowess. There's some other fun matches too. Good show.

I'm with you on this! I think there's several entertaining matches on the show. The NY portion is boring as hell but once they switch over to Chicago then things start to pick up a bit. The battle royal is fun and that Dream Team/Bulldogs match is incredible. Too bad the camera missed Dynamite's bump though.

One match from that show I always feel doesn't get a lot of respect is Ricky Steamboat vs. Hercules. It's honestly the best match of the LA portion and could very well be the second best match on the show. 

The three city thing was unique though and I credit them for trying it. Definitely made the event feel a lot more special.

• Like 2

I remember renting Starrcade ‘86 as a kid and being baffled at how short and shitty it was, and it wasn’t until years later I realized it must’ve been footage from only one of the locations. 

43 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I remember renting Starrcade ‘86 as a kid and being baffled at how short and shitty it was, and it wasn’t until years later I realized it must’ve been footage from only one of the locations. 

Arguably the best thing about the WWE Network in its creation is being able to see all of these events as they were presented live in their entirety. 

Maybe tape traders in the day had the access to the full broadcasts but as a kid all I had was my small VHS collection and rentals from the local video store which I'm grateful for having.  But now I'm interested to see how my opinion will change for better or worse with these events. 

As said, WrestleMania 2 is now in my "good" WrestleManias. I need to see all of the Starrcade's full versions. 

I don't think I have any of the early WMs in my bottom 5. Call it nostalgia but I just love the idea of matches that should go sub 5-6 minutes actually going sub 5 minutes. Less is more sometimes. 

Some of the more recent bloated 5-hour epic WMs are closer to my bottom 5 by comparison. Glad they switched to the 2-night format.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, Phantom Lord said:

Ronda is naturally a heel. Her, Shanya and Nattie should be a faction. Not feuding with each other with poor Shayna lost in the mix. 

Poor Shayna. Talk about wasted opportunity 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think I have any of the early WMs in my bottom 5. Call it nostalgia but I just love the idea of matches that should go sub 5-6 minutes actually going sub 5 minutes. Less is more sometimes.

The only of the early Mania shows I have in my bottom five is WrestleMania 5. I watched it recently and it’s such a slog to get though and there’s a lot of matches that really don’t mean anything or have bad finishes. The crowd was awful throughout it too and seemed bored. Also didn’t help that they used the same “WrestleMania IV” banners and ring apron from the previous year with the “I” in IV blacked out with sharpie.

On that show, Warrior vs Rude was good but nowhere near as great as their rematch at SummerSlam that year would be. Hogan vs Savage was probably the best match of the show honestly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2