Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, Execproducer said:

I'm torn. On the one hand, Elizabeth Daily. On the other hand, Valeria Golino.

I am solidly on Team Dotty... or is that Team SexHead?  I am not certain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Artie Lange Dark Side of Comedy was, as expected, brutal. Some of the MadTV peeps show up. Debra Wilson, who I didn't even recognize in prior episodes, now has a shaved head and a bunch of piercings and is INTENSE. Artie's story is basically a horror story; I had no idea his suicide attempt (the one they considered a suicide attempt, most of his life has been a suicide attempt) involved hacking away at himself with a knife and drinking fucking bleach. The awful cherry on top of all this is seeing Artie's nose nowadays... if you haven't seen it yet, you will be gobsmacked. Don't do drugs kids. 

Man I got some stuff to catch up with. What We Do In the Shadows just wrapped up. City on a Hill, I've missed multiple episodes of. Narco Wars is back on and covering some interesting stories. Did you know that fentanyl was invented by a Mexican dude working for the Sinaloa Cartel who wasn't even a chemist? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Artie Lange Dark Side of Comedy was, as expected, brutal. Some of the MadTV peeps show up. Debra Wilson, who I didn't even recognize in prior episodes, now has a shaved head and a bunch of piercings and is INTENSE. Artie's story is basically a horror story; I had no idea his suicide attempt (the one they considered a suicide attempt, most of his life has been a suicide attempt) involved hacking away at himself with a knife and drinking fucking bleach. The awful cherry on top of all this is seeing Artie's nose nowadays... if you haven't seen it yet, you will be gobsmacked. Don't do drugs kids. 

I caught a few min of this and was stunned by it.  I barely knew who Artie Lange was coming into the show and actually thought he was working steadily.

Honestly,  until last night, I thought Artie Lange played the dad on The Goldbergs.  Apparently, I’m confusing Artie Lange and Jeff Garlin.  
 

in my defense, I’ve never watched Mad TV or the Goldbergs and know next to nothing about Garlin or Lange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reservation Dogs is as good as advertised. Funny, bittersweet, tragic. The show has more heart than anything on television in years. Just a fantastic TV show that takes you into a world most of us are unfamiliar with (an Oklahoma Native American reservation ) and fills them with really vivid and fantastic characters. A+.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Reservation Dogs is as good as advertised. Funny, bittersweet, tragic. The show has more heart than anything on television in years. Just a fantastic TV show that takes you into a world most of us are unfamiliar with (an Oklahoma Native American reservation ) and fills them with really vivid and fantastic characters. A+.

I just can't get over how great this show is. It just has a vibe like nothing else. And, like you said, it has so much heart. This past week's Cheese-centric episode showed that. Just so much empathy for even characters who might be considered by some to be "bad" people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Handmaid's Tale has been renewed for a 6th and Final Season

Season 5 starts Sept 14

They are showing S1 on FX right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Reservation Dogs is as good as advertised. Funny, bittersweet, tragic. The show has more heart than anything on television in years. Just a fantastic TV show that takes you into a world most of us are unfamiliar with (an Oklahoma Native American reservation ) and fills them with really vivid and fantastic characters. A+.

Love the show. Marc Maron turning up randomly was awesome.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Binged the rest of What We Do In the Shadows just now. Hilarious as always. They seemed to have let the writers off the chain in this one because the whole season is full of F-bombs. Probably my favorite one was Go Flip Yourself which was a 100% accurate parody of HGTV/DIY (Magnolia) Network home renovation shows... so accurate it's creepy. The Sklar twins as the Property Brothers was the icing on the cake. Baron Afanas regaining his body and actual youth, with both Nadja and Laszlo immediately jumping his bones, was another high point. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just about to come on and also talk about the genius of the Go Flip Yourself episode of What We Do In The Shadows. Might be Matt Berry’s finest work yet, which is saying something considering Jackie Daytona and everything he does pretty much.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Just about to come on and also talk about the genius of the Go Flip Yourself episode of What We Do In The Shadows. Might be Matt Berry’s finest work yet, which is saying something considering Jackie Daytona and everything he does pretty much.

And the IT Crowd episode where Victoria mysteriously re-appears.  "But Victoria!  You're deeeaaaaddd?"  Or when he was on trial.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DEAN said:

And the IT Crowd episode where Victoria mysteriously re-appears.  "But Victoria!  You're deeeaaaaddd?"  Or when he was on trial.

Or "One Track Lover" from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Greggulator said:

Or "One Track Lover" from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

 

 

Or the Snuff Box theme, which sounds like the best song Todd Rundgren never wrote

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Here's Matt Berry going record shopping. Begins with Zappa (ugh) but gets into Brian Ferry, Tennis and some other awesome stuff (including a rec from my guy Tom Scharpling.)
 

 

I only recently learned that Berry makes music, and its not comedy music. It's really, really good stuff! I'm just starting to dig in, but I love it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Log said:

I only recently learned that Berry makes music, and its not comedy music. It's really, really good stuff! I'm just starting to dig in, but I love it.

He’s an excellent songwriter. All of the musical numbers in Toast of London are songs from his albums, and if you haven’t seen Toast of London yet, run do not walk, it’s the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

He’s an excellent songwriter. All of the musical numbers in Toast of London are songs from his albums, and if you haven’t seen Toast of London yet, run do not walk, it’s the best. 

I was just checking IMDb to see where to watch it, but nothing. Any idea where it’s streaming?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...