DVDVR Message Board

UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks (11/16/2013) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Seriously. This will look just like GSP vs. Koscheck, Fitch, Hardy, Alves, Diaz, Condit, etc..

GSP via Decision.

It's the safest bet in sports, aside from perhaps Mayweather via Decision.

Hopefully it won't look like GSP vs. Shields ; ).

Seriously. This will look just like GSP vs. Koscheck, Fitch, Hardy, Alves, Diaz, Condit, etc..

GSP via Decision.

Hendricks is a 100 times better than all of those other guys.

If he doesn't KO GSP, then he'll submit him.

This made me laugh out loud literally

Also how is he 100 times better than Koscheck and Condit when they actually fought and he barely squeaked by both of them?

Yeah a lot of people had Koscheck winning rounds 1 and 3 of that fight.

GSP via Decision.

Yup.  The only thing up in the air with this fight is what second GSP will take him down at the beginning of each round.

Read before Johnny Hendricks cuts a lot of weight for Welterweight. Right in saying Travis Lutter was the last guy who failed to make weight for a UFC Championship fight against UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva at UFC 67?

I believe Dolce and Hendricks have said he diets down to 200, and then cuts water weight for the rest. So he likely re-hydrates up to 195-200 in the cage.

Though I'm sure GSP is 190+ in the cage as well. 

Really wish they would do what HBO does for Boxing, and re-weigh the fighters on fight night to see how much they gain back. Always think it's interesting to see what the *actual* size disparity is.

Not sure if this is frowned upon or not, so if it is, feel free to delete the post. I wrote my first every blog post, taking a look at the odds for the main card fights, along with some potential fights for for winners/losers. I figured there's no better place to put the link than right here.

http://joshengleman.com/ufc-167-fight-odds-preview/

• Like 2

Read before Johnny Hendricks cuts a lot of weight for Welterweight. Right in saying Travis Lutter was the last guy who failed to make weight for a UFC Championship fight against UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva at UFC 67?

I believe Dolce and Hendricks have said he diets down to 200, and then cuts water weight for the rest. So he likely re-hydrates up to 195-200 in the cage.

Really wish they would do what HBO does for Boxing, and re-weigh the fighters on fight night to see how much they gain back. Always think it's interesting to see what the *actual* size disparity is.

Thank you.

A lot of people are picking Johnny Hendricks to beat Georges St-Pierre:

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/97-ufc/33994-ufc-stars-predict-saturdays-fight-result

A lot of people picked Chris Weidman to beat Anderson Silva and we know what happened.

GSP for me is like watching Federer a few years ago. It's gotten to the point of where its just boring to watch them fight/play because its too often a no contest. Thankfully RF lost his control and now I'm hoping the same here but I just can't see Hendricks beating GSP.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hendricks wins but I still think GSP will.

I would be completely surprised if Hendricks won. For him to win he would need one of the best pound for pound fighters in the planet to make a critical mistake and gsp doesn't make many mistakes. On top of that I get the feeling that gsp is taking this fight really serious and training as well for it as any fight he's ever had. Be prepared for Hendricks to look like he should be in WSOF after gsp clowns him for five rounds.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Hendricks wins but I still think GSP will.

I would be completely surprised if Hendricks won. For him to win he would need one of the best pound for pound fighters in the planet to make a critical mistake and gsp doesn't make many mistakes. On top of that I get the feeling that gsp is taking this fight really serious and training as well for it as any fight he's ever had. Be prepared for Hendricks to look like he should be in WSOF after gsp clowns him for five rounds.

This is basically it. People say things like Serra knocked him out so Hendricks can, but that was a completely different circumstance. GSP was over confident, and expected Serra to try to take the fight to the ground, Serra instead tried to stand with GSP when that was thought to be a crazy notion. It was the element of surprise that doomed him, not the Serra punches. Since then, there is no element of surprise. GSP takes no chances. He will do whatever he has to retain his title.

Hendricks is one of those guys that comes along who makes people think he has a chance but really just isn't good enough. Who was the last one gsp fought like that? Condit? Very similar feel to that.

I never thought Condit was that good, certainly not GSP level. I think you have to go all the way back to Alves for a guy I thought had a legit shot at him.

As much as I like Condit, I knew the fight would go the way it did.  Takedowns and wrestling have always been Condit's biggest weakness, and that's GSP's whole world.  Same thing with Diaz.  Dude is tough as nails, has good boxing, but GSP's boxing and striking has always been better.  Diaz's wrestling and takedown defense are also terrible.

Hendricks at least has one punch knockout power in both of his hands, and I would say he's improved since his only loss to Rick Story.  I don't know if he can outwrestle or deal with GSP's takedowns in an MMA fight, but stranger things have happened.  No one expected Gustafsson to take down Jones and deal with him as well he did.

• Like 1

As much as I like Johnny Hendricks, GSP is probably either the #1 or #2 best Mixed Martial Artists of all time.  Hendricks is a really good fighter with awesome power, but nothing about him says all-time great.  GSP looked like a guy who was going to be special from his UFC debut, and he has improved to the point that in order to beat him to have to be good to great at every aspect of fighting.  Hendricks is a good wrestler, who likes to wing haymakers, but I foresee GSP's technique overcoming anything Hendricks has to offer.

Meltzer's of the belief that GSP is usually at his best at 188. Any higher and it slows him down too much.