DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

On 1/18/2021 at 3:30 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

CBS All Access added a bunch of Nickelodeon stuff, and also the 2003 Fox/4kids version of TMNT. I have been vocal here arguing that it's the best version of the Ninja Turtles story and I stand by that.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to finish this. A couple years back I watched the first few seasons and forgot about it, but really liked what I saw. It was really good adaptation of the original comics (albeit toned down a bit) with some changes to it that actually worked well. 

The original series has either aged incredibly poorly or I just had shitty taste as a kid. Maybe both. 

Speaking of Ninja Turtles, the TMNT/Batman crossover is one of those things that sounds like it would be hokey, but was actually great. Batman vs Shredder is one of those fantasy booking matches that I never knew I wanted.

My son and I finished Batman: The Brave and the Bold last night.  That last episode is so great!  Really, the whole series is great.  It tows the line of being appealing to kids and meta enough for the adults to catch some fun stuff.  We've also been watching Batman the animated series on HBO.  Now, since my son also likes the old Adam West Batman show (on the Roku app, fyi), it leads to much confusion as to which Batman he wants to watch.  We've finally come to an understanding.  The West Batman is "The Old Batman", TAS is "The Original One" and BATB is "The Batman on Prime".

Speaking of Ninja Turtles, the TMNT/Batman crossover is one of those things that sounds like it would be hokey, but was actually great. Batman vs Shredder is one of those fantasy booking matches that I never knew I wanted.

I've been trying to get my son to watch this one, but he's hesitant for some reason.  He loves the Turtles, too.  I don't think he believes me that it's real.

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

I feel like I maligned THE BATMAN was it first aired on TheWB way back when, so when it goes up on HBOMax I'm gonna give it another go.

Its decent-solid but nothing amazing. Its hard to love coming off of the DCAU and then seeing Brave and Bold come after. It was stuck between two great series.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

I was shocked to discover it only had 13 episodes/season, and the last two season were Justice League focused.  It seems like organic growth occurs over the course of the series, and that seems rare for usually episodic kids series.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

I feel like I maligned THE BATMAN was it first aired on TheWB way back when, so when it goes up on HBOMax I'm gonna give it another go.

I enjoyed The Batman. It was unfortunate having to follow Batman: The Animated Series, Batman of the Future and Justice League especially B:TAS. Nothing could. I really liked the original theme song, replacement wasn't as good. Rina Romano is an underrated voice actor for both Batman and Spider-Man. Some of the character designs were good: Batman, Commissioner Gordon and Poison Ivy while some were bad in Bane and The Joker. I didn't see as much of the later seasons.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

@The Naturaldo you have a favorite BTAS episode?

i'll cop to my favorites being the Gray Ghost, Heart of Ice (obviously), and If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich (criminally underrated)

Thanks for asking, @twiztor. All three of your favourites are great!

My #1 favourite has to be Heart of Ice. No wonder it won an Emmy and the reinvention of Mr. Freeze's origin was used in films, comic books and video games. The use of "My God!" as Batman watched the videotape watching what happened to Victor and Nora Freeze by Ferris Boyle and what Batman says to him: "Goodnight... humanitarian". I LOVE Heart of Ice. It's one of the best Batman stories ever with Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

My other favourite episodes are Almost Got 'Im, On Leather Wings, Two-Face, Beware the Gray Ghost, Joker's Favour, Heart of Steel and If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?

I ADORE Batman: The Animated Series. It's why I seek out Batman: The Animated Series merchandise the most. I have two hoodies from it, Batman: The Animated Series Batman and the Joker figures (red card). I have Batman, The Joker, Harley Quinn figures from Batman: The Adventures Continue range, 8 Funko POP from B:TAS, soon to be 9 for my upcoming birthday on the 6th of March and Batman from B: TAS statue by ArtFX+/Kotobukiya. The statue comes with three different cowl expressions, four different mouth reactions and three different right hands,

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 3:18 PM, odessasteps said:

?

What the hell?

I don't even have any attachment to Powerpuff Girls - or have even seen a whole episode - and I still think this idea should be killed with fire before it gets started.

• Like 1

The original Power Puff girls is really trippy and fun, with a ton of references the target audience would never get. Really fun show in it's own way.

That sounds like one is the worst ideas ever. We do not need cynicism in fucking PPG.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ducktales finale was unsurprisingly wonderful. Don't click on the following if you plan to watch it and haven't yet:

Spoiler

Both the 8 year old and I got pretty excited for the Gargoyles music/reveal. I had recognized Keith David's voice as familiar but it was so out of place and unexpected that it took me a second to realize who it was and by then the music had kicked in. I'm pretty sure the wife was just a tiny bit embarrassed by how excited we got by it which is rare because she doesn't usually see me mark out for something.