DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

20 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Does anyone know anything about DC's animated Harley Quinn series airing on SYFY?  I'm watching a bit of the Battlestar Galactica marathon and a commercial came on for Harley Quinn.  Fairly certain they said the show is going to re-air on SyFy but I didn't catch the date and time.

Edit: Found the answer on Twitter.  For anyone interested, SyFy is going to rebroadcast the entire season on Sunday nights in May.  Multiple eps. will air each Sunday beginning at 11 pm.

Ton of profanity and zany over the top antics, and season 2 just started. Pretty funny, her supporting cast fill their spots perfectly, imo. Ron Funches as King Shark kills me, I think that's him? 

Okay wait, how is my post anti Semitic? Profanity, zany antics, ron funches, king shark? That description alone, minus King Shark, could be about the second season of Final Space. I disagree, I never referenced anything anti semitic. Welcome to DVDVR maybe? Is this "hazing the new guy"??

Edited by Hayabusa
Dont have a Gotch damn clue how my post is anti semitic when I'm giving a brief review of a cartoon series based on a comic book

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Ton of profanity and zany over the top antics, and season 2 just started. Pretty funny, her supporting cast fill their spots perfectly, imo. Ron Funches as King Shark kills me, I think that's him? 

Lot of Anti-Semitism

On 4/23/2020 at 6:02 AM, Hayabusa said:

Okay wait, how is my post anti Semitic? Profanity, zany antics, ron funches, king shark? That description alone, minus King Shark, could be about the second season of Final Space. I disagree, I never referenced anything anti semitic. Welcome to DVDVR maybe? Is this "hazing the new guy"??

I don't think she's saying your post is anti-Semitic, but that the jokes about Sy Borgman are?

On 4/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Anyone want to recommend some of the better DCU animated movies?  Not been terribly interested in the couple I've seen, but I'll probably give some of them a watch in the coming weeks.

• Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
  • Justice league: Crisis on Two Earths
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood
  • All Star Superman
  • Superman vs. the Elite
  • Batman: the Dark Knight Returns
  • Justice League: Gods and Monsters
  • The Death of Superman

Most of the films are at least decent. These were the fairly fun and/or good ones I could think of offhand. There are more I would probably put up there if I rewatched them. Two I'm already thinking of but can't remember the titles too are the two Adam West movies made before his death.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, Eivion said:
  • Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
  • All Star Superman
  • Superman vs. the Elite
  • The Death of Superman

Two I can't remember the titles to are the two Adam West movies made before his death.

i second all of these. the two Adam West movies (Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs Two-Face) are both excellent. As is Batman vs TMNT.

• Like 2

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 8:29 PM, Eivion said:
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Most of the films are at least decent. These were the fairly fun and/or good ones I could think of offhand. There are more I would probably put up there if I rewatched them. Two I'm already thinking of but can't remember the titles too are the two Adam West movies made before his death.

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 9:54 PM, twiztor said:

i second all of these. the two Adam West movies (Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs Two-Face) are both excellent. As is Batman vs TMNT.

I recommend the above. The others, Wonder Woman (2009), Batman: Year One (2011) and Teen Titans GO! To The Movies (2018). Wonder Woman is terrific.

Edited by The Natural

My top five DC Animated Movies:

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993).

2. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Uncut Version (2000).

3. Wonder Woman (2009).

4. Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010).

5. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013).

Edited by The Natural

Are DC's animated Justice League movies supposed to be watched in any particular order?  Apokolips War comes out later this month, and the press blurb mention it being the culmination of 14 JL movies (or something like that).  But as far as I can tell the movies are self-contained so it doesn't seem like it matters what order I watch them in, or if I even watch them all before watching Apololips War.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Are DC's animated Justice League movies supposed to be watched in any particular order?  Apokolips War comes out later this month, and the press blurb mention it being the culmination of 14 JL movies (or something like that).  But as far as I can tell the movies are self-contained so it doesn't seem like it matters what order I watch them in, or if I even watch them all before watching Apololips War.

Thoughts?

There is a line a films focused on a New 52 styled movie universe. From what I have seen of those they don't need to be watched in order despite being connected. The Death of Superman movie I mentioned earlier for instance is actually part of that, but I have skipped a ton of those and enjoyed it fine.

• Like 2

Finished Harley Quinn this morning.  Liked it a lot, but didn't love it.  Not sure how I feel about Harley becoming a babyface?  Is that how she's portrayed in the comics?  I read comics occasionally but I haven't read Harley or Suicide Squad since they brought her into the DC proper and gave the character model an edgy makeover.

I liked the first two eps. a lot, when Harley is very much a loose cannon.  After that, they tone her down a bit as she becomes a more conventional babyface.  Seems like the violence and language were toned down a bit as the show went. 

Still, a lot to like.  Show was breezy, enjoyable, and had a lot of standout bits.  I was kinda meh towards her crew.  I'd be down with a new crew consisting of Queen of Fables, Commissioner Gordon, and Bane.  Meloni killed it voicing Gordon.

Some great throwaway scenes.  The deal with Aquaman breaking the LOD's aquarium was hilarious from start to finish.  The puffer fish telepathically mouthing the words "oh shit" right before the tank cracked still makes me laugh.  Using the sound effect from the Super Friends cartoon put it over the top.

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Finished Harley Quinn this morning.  Liked it a lot, but didn't love it.  Not sure how I feel about Harley becoming a babyface?  Is that how she's portrayed in the comics?  I read comics occasionally but I haven't read Harley or Suicide Squad since they brought her into the DC proper and gave the character model an edgy makeover.

Its weird. There are kind of 2-3 Harley Quinns in the comics that all are supposed to technically be the same character. Two of them are on the serious side with one in particular having been made a key member of the Suicide Squad since New 52. There other serious version is kind of used in various one shot moments for Batman comics and appearances elsewhere. Then there is the version established from Amanda Conner and Jimmy's Palmiotti's singles run of her comics that is way more comedy and babyface-esque focused. This is the one I think the animated series pulls from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched some clips of Harley Quinn due to the word of mouth it received, and liking the character. I enjoyed those. Looked to see when Harley Quinn will air in the UK and I timed it well, starts on E4 tonight.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its weird. There are kind of 2-3 Harley Quinns in the comics that all are supposed to technically be the same character. Two of them are on the serious side with one in particular having been made a key member of the Suicide Squad since New 52. There other serious version is kind of used in various one shot moments for Batman comics and appearances elsewhere. Then there is the version established from Amanda Conner and Jimmy's Palmiotti's singles run of her comics that is way more comedy and babyface-esque focused. This is the one I think the animated series pulls from. 

Thanks.  That makes some sense.  I've never read the Palmiotti/Conner series, but I know it exists and a comedy/babyface approach probably fits those two (and the animated series) more than a grim and gritty take.  Babyfacing Harley made sense in the context of the story the show told, but I kind preferred sympathetic heel Harley in the first two eps.  The first couple eps had ad edgy, over-the-top feel (Harley using the f-word a lot in the pilot, Harley biting the ear off a prison guard, Harley beating the crap out of Joker's goons with a bat - and blowing up the rest with Joker bombs) that the rest of the series lost.  Plot-wise, the last seven or eight episodes could have been written for most any DC hero.  

Speaking of DC animated, I watched the animated adaptation of Dark Knight Returns and loved both parts.  Actually thought that they made the battle with the mutants leader more involving than the comic.

I've probably watched 15-ish of the DC Animated movies and DKR was the first one that really impressed me.

Will probably watch a couple of the Justice League films since Apokolips War comes out later this month.

• Like 1

Just finished binging season one of Harley Quinn and I have to say that the voice acting on DC cartoons has improved tremendously since Andrea Romano retired.

She was always content to let "celebrity" voice actors phone in their performances (often times literally, as most would record their lines via ISDN)  and only have them do one or two takes, resulting in some really lazy performances in the straight-to-DVD movies.

The voice directors for Quinn (Dean Lorey, Patrick Schumacker, and Charlie "Buster Bunny" Adler) have done a great job of having the celebrity voice actors actually give nuance to their performances, instead of simply driving to the recording studio, spending 20 minutes taping their lines, and then cashing a check.

• 2 weeks later...

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War was very good.  Dark (pun intended).  Oh so dark.  A lot of death, a lot of popular characters permanently maimed, etc.   Not really a big fan of the DCAU but this outing was outstanding.  Writing was surprisingly strong.

Spoiler

Main thing I didn't like was Constantine, who somehow became the lead character.  I like Constantine and even generally like him being brought back in  the DCU, but he's out of place here.  There's no real reason for him to be this central in what's basically a JLA/Kirby Fourth World story.  And Constantine's the lead.  He's continually the one saving the day, coming up with the solution, etc.  It really feels like they shoehorned him into this because....?  Constantine wasn't even a part of most of the New 52 movies.

The other caveat is Barry.  Without giving too much away, they manage to make Barry look like even more of a schmuck in regards to Flashpoint.  Basically they throw out the idea that all the things that led to this point are the result of Barry screwing with the timeline.  

That said, the ending does throw Barry a bone.  And, for a change, it's a deus ex machina ending that actually works.    

They actually do tie a lot of previous movies into the story, but not to such a degree that you need to see any of the previous movies to understand what's going on.  It does help if you know the basics of Raven's relationship with her demon father (Trigon), as that figures in the plot, but it's not hard to figure out what you need to know about that.

KInda interested to see where they go next.  The ending seems to indicate that they are done with the New 52 continuity.

I kinda assumed 

35 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

So, after Apokolips War, is WB Animation abandoning the straight-to-DVD animated film concept entirely?

This was billed as the "grand finale" for the DCAU.

Seems unlikely.  Apokolips War had a trailer for their next animated film (Superman: Man of Tomorrow, about the early years of Clark Kent).

I think the "grand finale" refers to the end of films set in the New 52 continuity.  Beginning with Flashpoint Paradox, fifteen or so movies have been based off New 52 concepts and stories.  It seems like they're going to move away from that.  The end of the movie sets up a drastic change in the status quo.

Spoiler

I took the ending of Apokolips War to be the DCAU's version of Rebirth.  The movie ends with Darkseid defeated but the Earth slowly dying.  Constantine talks Barry into time traveling again and causing another flashpoint.

• Like 1