DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

I really hope the GM's vote in favor of extending OT to 10 minutes. 3-on-3 would be super exciting but I think that's too radical for the old school NHL way of thinking. But a 10 minute OT with the long change in effect would pretty much eliminate shootouts except in rare cases of Buffalo playing Philadealphia.

I really hope the GM's vote in favor of extending OT to 10 minutes. 3-on-3 would be super exciting but I think that's too radical for the old school NHL way of thinking. But a 10 minute OT with the long change in effect would pretty much eliminate shootouts except in rare cases of Buffalo playing Philadealphia.

And, really, we're all losers when those two match up.

What a crazy day in buffaloDarcy, Rolston outLaFontaine, nolan (as interim hc) in

WTF.  Rolston seemed like a real shit stain and bush league but situations like this scream desperate and despite his buckets of money and love of the game the Buffalo owner looks like he is becoming one of those guys that cant stay out of the way

I hope Kulikov goes somewhere like Detroit. No idea if they need, want, or could use him but it'd be nice to see him freed to a good home. I do like that Kulikov is available but Gudbranson who has brought nothing to the table but poorly timed hits and even more poorly timed penalties probably isn't. The Panthers will never ever change.

And, really, we're all losers when those two match up.

Guess whose going to be in Philly next week for that one? The crowd may end up looking like one of the preseason games.

And WELCOME HOME TED NOLAN!!!!!! He's just the type of guy we need running things, there aren't many who are better at getting the most out of the least him. I'm also relieved that Darcy got shitcanned because he was shopping me to a contender for their #1 pick in the 2014 NHL Fan Entry Draft (I have veto rights blocking a trade to Carolina, Boston and the Rangers).

Rolston never should have gotten taken from the Amerks. If Nolan can bring back the "Hardest Working Team in Hockey" ethic, it'll be a lot of help, since there will probably be a lot of player turnover in the near future, since I kept hearing the word "toxic" to describe the Sabres' locker room today. Hopefully whoever Patty picks for GM will be able to fleece another GM and get rid of bums like Stafford.

Rolston never should have gotten taken from the Amerks. If Nolan can bring back the "Hardest Working Team in Hockey" ethic, it'll be a lot of help, since there will probably be a lot of player turnover in the near future, since I kept hearing the word "toxic" to describe the Sabres' locker room today. Hopefully whoever Patty picks for GM will be able to fleece another GM and get rid of bums like Stafford.

I think dumping Darcy Regier right now was a bad move for the team going forward (I understand the firing was done to improve the team in the fan's opinions/because fans weren't renewing season tickets) but Darcy Regier is absolutely the guy you want managing a team that's already out of it basically and is planning on dumping players for picks/prospects.

-He sent Thomas Vanek, with just 3/4s of a season left on his deal for a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a player in  Matt Moulson whom will likely fetch a 1st or 2nd at the deadline.

-Earlier this year, at the deadline, he sent out Jordan Leopold with 2 months left on his deal and picked up a 2nd and 5th.

-Also this year, he got Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett and a 1st round pick for Jason Pominville.

-Again this year, he snagged two 2nd rounders for Robyn Regehr, who had a couple months left on his deal.

-In 2012, he got a 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad (on an expiring deal) and a 4th.

-In 2008, he got Steve Bernier (whom he later flipped for a 2nd and 3rd) and a 1st round pick for Brian Campbell on an expiring deal.

Regier is a guy who consistently gets more than he should for players on expiring contracts (I still can't believe he got a 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad when Marek Zidlicky, Antoine Vermette, Andrei Kostitsyn, Johnny Oduya, and Nicklas Grossman were all dealt at the deadline that year and not one of them fetched a 1st rounder in return).  Personally, I probably would have kept Regier on to the end of the year, then dumped him after the season was over.

I think dumping Darcy Regier right now was a bad move for the team going forward (I understand the firing was done to improve the team in the fan's opinions/because fans weren't renewing season tickets) but Darcy Regier is absolutely the guy you want managing a team that's already out of it basically and is planning on dumping players for picks/prospects.

-He sent Thomas Vanek, with just 3/4s of a season left on his deal for a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a player in  Matt Moulson whom will likely fetch a 1st or 2nd at the deadline.

-Earlier this year, at the deadline, he sent out Jordan Leopold with 2 months left on his deal and picked up a 2nd and 5th.

-Also this year, he got Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett and a 1st round pick for Jason Pominville.

-Again this year, he snagged two 2nd rounders for Robyn Regehr, who had a couple months left on his deal.

-In 2012, he got a 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad (on an expiring deal) and a 4th.

-In 2008, he got Steve Bernier (whom he later flipped for a 2nd and 3rd) and a 1st round pick for Brian Campbell on an expiring deal.

Regier is a guy who consistently gets more than he should for players on expiring contracts (I still can't believe he got a 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad when Marek Zidlicky, Antoine Vermette, Andrei Kostitsyn, Johnny Oduya, and Nicklas Grossman were all dealt at the deadline that year and not one of them fetched a 1st rounder in return).  Personally, I probably would have kept Regier on to the end of the year, then dumped him after the season was over.

Agree about shitcanning Regier.  Its just odd that you get rid of a GM and coach and then just bring in a coach and slap the interim tag on him.  Now when it comes time to hire a GM is the first proviso of the job going to be that you cant hire your own coach you have to accept Ted Nolan.