DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

Cherry is 79 (albeit a lively 79), how much longer do people really think he wants to keep going?

The idea that he's going to suddenly like double or triple his workload seems kind of out there to me.

He always complains he doesn't have enough time, though.

Loubardias commentating = me not watching. Lee is getting there.

What does this mean for Elliotte Friedman? Does he still have to put up with Putzy Jabrone Stock? Can he just replace Ron MacLean already?

Beause I only get game replays, I'm always a day behind on Wings games so forgive me for talking about the Wings/Sabres game that was a couple days ago:

This was a bad game.  Full house in Buffalo but they all forgot their hands and the building was a morgue the whole night, barely a sound to be heard.  Buffalo is obviously terrible and showed it.  Detroit, however, is painful to watch.  They were missing Datsyuk and it showed but...man.  Their defense, once you get past Kronwall and Ericsson, especially now with DeKeyser out, is just awful.  They have no scoring outside of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  They make so many bad plays in both ends of the rink, it's unreal.  Daniel Alfredsson passed instead of shooting a one-timer from 15 feet out in the slot on a 3-on-1, resulting in no shot at all, for example.  Horrible play.  There are constant turnovers and missed assignments.  The offense is stagnant with guys constantly peeling off to the outside, giving defenses a chance to recover.  Or holding the puck too long so they can blast it into a guy's shins.  Brutal.

Two nice highlights though:

- after a horrible turnover that gave Buffalo their goal, Darren Helm recovered with an awesome spin-o-rama backhand to tie the game.  The backhand he got was a rocket, just an awesome shot

- Zetterberg had a ridiculous series of dekes followed by a wide open wraparound attempt.  Great moves and...he butchered the wraparound and it ended up just sliding across the crease.  But the moves and dekes to get there were awesome! ;)

It's been tough to watch but they're pretty much the team I thought they were.  They haven't had a lick of goal-scoring talent since Hossa left outside of Pav & Z and neither of them are really goal scorers.

How the fuck did Klesla not get claimed? Considering my favorite team is playing Tom Gilbert almost 25 minutes and Matt Gilroy over 16 minutes a game I find it baffling that no one wanted Klesla. There's an awful lot of shitty defensemen eating up an awful lot of minutes in the NHL and Klesla at 2.9m or whatever should be worth it.

But I may be biased because Klesla's been one of my favorite players since Beckett called him the next Bobby Orr when he was a rookie with the Jackets.

John Scott fucking up some Hab in a fight made my night. Seeing Scott knock motherfuckers out is the only enjoyment us Sabres fans are going to have all season.

Who'd he destroy?

Pens should be beating the Leafs about 6-2 right now but they are just making minor league mistakes all over the ice and currently have a sub-minor league goalie in net. (No I'm not making a Fleury joke here) I bet Fleury comes back in to play the 3rd.

Great example on twitter right now how everyone just creates their own storyline for humor. "Leafs had no shots in the 3rd period." Completely false. Smithson had a shot with 12:47 to go that was saved and led to a faceoff. Pens stats guy didn't count it since the '0' on the scoreboard looked so funny.

So you got one shot in the last 25 minutes of a game against a team that needed the fucking New York Islanders to play the lead character of Weekend at Bernie's in net to lose a series. That's not really a step forward.

Bernier played well (and in general I like him). Would have been nice if the team helped him out.

It's still pathetic, I won't argue that. I'm just saying everyone so desperately wants to run with the NO SHOTS ON NET OMGZ story that they ignore an actual shot just wasn't counted since the Leafs were on the road and you know how that goes. (Like how Clutterbuck somehow used to rack up 90% of his league leading hits in the season at home games)

Even if you are offended by Don (I'm not), you SHOULD be offended by people who want to fire him for disagreeing with them. I'm offended by Larry Brooks in the NY Post whining about how much he hates fighting and taking cheap shots at the Sabres and Flyers every chance he gets, but you don't hear me saying he should be fired.

Huh? It's Don's right to say offensive stuff if he so chooses, but all of his detractors are equally within their rights to call for him to be fired.

(I'm neither for nor against Don, so I don't really care one way or the other on the issue.)

Edit: Oh yeah, and to those of you complaining about Peter Loubardias, shame on you! Loubo was awesome (or at least he was vastly better than Rob Kerr, who does the Flames broadcasts now).

Also, on the the topic of the Flames: shame on you, Flames.

Kane's mullet should be a soft spot for all hockey fans.

Loubardias is TERRIBLE. Him doing national games would be Mark Lee level bad.

Jets win in Long Island tonight, 6-1-1 against the East now, 2-0 on the six game road trip.

So apparently the Blues/Avs are a rivalry now or something. At least Avs fans and there coach have there pants in a twist with anger at us or something. So far as division rivals we've blasted them twice, and I have no real strong feelings about them what so ever.

Is this how Wings felt about the Blues? This is probably how Wing fans felt about the Blues.

Loubardias is TERRIBLE. Him doing national games would be Mark Lee level bad.

Well, I can see what you mean. But I still like him as a more local guy calling a regional broadcast. He has that voice/style where at first you think "what the hell is wrong with this guy?" but then he grows on you, and you miss him when he's gone and replaced by someone with less personality.

Or at least that's how I feel now.