DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

How many of you Hogan hating punk bitches cheered for Austin?

I loved Hogan as a kid, and pretty much hated Austin in his big WWF run. I still love watching 80's Hogan, but you can't ignore obvious stuff.
How could any wrestling fan hate Austin during that run??
I was 17 or so and only wanted to root for the Dean Malenkos and Eddy Guerreros of the world at that time. It was years before I'd appreciate brawling more. The gimmick seemed hugely redneck and anti-intellectual which bugged me, and frankly, I was a lapsed fan getting back into things in 98. In 91-92 at the height of my kid fandom, I'd been really into Stunning Steve, if not rooting for him than intent on rooting against him. He was a staple as the TV champ then so I couldn't really parse Stone Cold with my memories. I didn't outright hate him like I did the Godfather or whatever, but yeah, I wasn't into Stone Cold at all.I had no use for Hogan when I was a kid either but was admittedly into Warrior and Sting, though I mainly rooted for guys like the Rockers and Pillman.
  • Like 1

Batten down the hatches - from this weeks Observer

Davey Richards was in Preston, England, on 10/31 as part of several weeks overseas and doing seminars in the country on a tour that ended on 11/1. After his match, he thanked the U.K. fans for their support. He said that whenever he's felt like quitting pro wrestling, he comes to the U.K. and rediscovers his passion for wrestling. He said that the U.K. fans had saved his life. He then said there has been a lot of speculation about where he and Eddie (never saying Edwards) will be going next and which promotion. He said that for legal reasons, he can't talk about it, but if this is his last tour of the U.K., he said he had gone out on a high note. He said that wherever he and Eddie would wind up, there would be fireworks. He never said WWE, but clearly implied it.

Right now everything involving Richards & Edwards (currently in Japan for Pro Wrestling NOAH's GHC singles tournament as the ROH rep) is secretive but what I do know is HHH's original decision was to turn both down, right to the point of saying on the subject that we don't hire guys like Davey Richards (both too big a name and they want unknowns that they can say they started and the size issue as well), who he knew. But there were people in the company who stood up to him on that one and told him he was wrong.

I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but based on what Richards said and other things I've heard, they may get a foot in the door and being a tag team saved both of them because HHH is looking for tag teams. Both men's ROH contracts have expired although they may either be working on a short-term extension, or with no contract. I'm actually pretty sure it's the latter.

They didn't sign new deals because they were hopeful of being picked up out of the last WWE training camp, where Edwards was apparently the standout in camp. This will all play out in some form rather quickly

Triple H must have watched this:

Posted Image

Except Hogan was supposed to be a hero. Heroes are supposed to be the bigger person, just because someone may have been planning on doing something terrible to you shouldn't give you the go ahead to do terrible things to them. Hogan was always presented as a hero but he wasn't really a good person other than telling you to take your vitamins and stuff. I never liked him as a kid and still don't. He wasn't a guy who did the right thing he was a guy who did the right thing for himself.

Oh so you are just suppose to wait for a guy to try to maim you. "Oh hey Bobby Heenan, I know you had a big fat guy break my ribs. Turned my friend/mentor against me and would do even worse given a chance. But I'm just gonna turn my back and wait for you to attack me again."

The Stinger would have asked him to be his tag partner against the Brainbusters.

• Like 2

Batten down the hatches - from this weeks Observer

Davey Richards was in Preston, England, on 10/31 as part of several weeks overseas and doing seminars in the country on a tour that ended on 11/1. After his match, he thanked the U.K. fans for their support. He said that whenever he's felt like quitting pro wrestling, he comes to the U.K. and rediscovers his passion for wrestling. He said that the U.K. fans had saved his life. He then said there has been a lot of speculation about where he and Eddie (never saying Edwards) will be going next and which promotion. He said that for legal reasons, he can't talk about it, but if this is his last tour of the U.K., he said he had gone out on a high note. He said that wherever he and Eddie would wind up, there would be fireworks. He never said WWE, but clearly implied it.

Right now everything involving Richards & Edwards (currently in Japan for Pro Wrestling NOAH's GHC singles tournament as the ROH rep) is secretive but what I do know is HHH's original decision was to turn both down, right to the point of saying on the subject that we don't hire guys like Davey Richards (both too big a name and they want unknowns that they can say they started and the size issue as well), who he knew. But there were people in the company who stood up to him on that one and told him he was wrong.

I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but based on what Richards said and other things I've heard, they may get a foot in the door and being a tag team saved both of them because HHH is looking for tag teams. Both men's ROH contracts have expired although they may either be working on a short-term extension, or with no contract. I'm actually pretty sure it's the latter.

They didn't sign new deals because they were hopeful of being picked up out of the last WWE training camp, where Edwards was apparently the standout in camp. This will all play out in some form rather quickly

Triple H must have watched this:

Posted Image

Quick, FSW, tweet that to HHH!

How many of you Hogan hating punk bitches cheered for Austin?

I loved Hogan as a kid, and pretty much hated Austin in his big WWF run. I still love watching 80's Hogan, but you can't ignore obvious stuff.

How could any wrestling fan hate Austin during that run??

I was 17 or so and only wanted to root for the Dean Malenkos and Eddy Guerreros of the world at that time. It was years before I'd appreciate brawling more. The gimmick seemed hugely redneck and anti-intellectual which bugged me, and frankly, I was a lapsed fan getting back into things in 98. In 91-92 at the height of my kid fandom, I'd been really into Stunning Steve, if not rooting for him than intent on rooting against him. He was a staple as the TV champ then so I couldn't really parse Stone Cold with my memories. I didn't outright hate him like I did the Godfather or whatever, but yeah, I wasn't into Stone Cold at all.I had no use for Hogan when I was a kid either but was admittedly into Warrior and Sting, though I mainly rooted for guys like the Rockers and Pillman.

More or less how I feel.  In my late teens, I was more into the technical style, and I've always had the belief that good guys should be good guys.  I HATED Attitude era WWF even back then, mostly for the shades of gray bullshit. I legit didn't understand why people liked Steve Austin.  As I've gotten older I appreciate him more.  Another thing is that at the time I felt like his work was so far beneath what he had been doing before he blew up in popularity.

Actually, the more I think about it, I disliked most wrestling in 98-99.  WCW was circling the drain, ECW was becoming a parody of itself and WWF was just unbearable at times.  All still featured good wrestling though.  Honestly, if 2000 WWF hadn't been so good, and if I hadn't discovered puro in 2001, I probably would have taken a pretty long break from wrestling.

I put together a piece today comparing how people finished in Wrestling Observer Awards versus the Hall of Fame: http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2013/1...-wrestling.html.

Based on a "prediction" model looking at the scores for people over time (years, points, # of top five finishes in important categories), the top people who aren't in the HOF were:

Non-HOF People with Prediction Scores above 0.33

Those strongest candidates are wrestlers Bryan Danielson (0.76), CM Punk (0.61), Sting (0.60), Shinjiro Otani (0.45), Edge (0.42), Mistico (0.41), Samoa Joe (0.38), Sabu (0.37), Brock Lesnar (0.37), Naomichi Marufuji (0.35), William Regal (0.33), Yuji Nagata (0.33), Owen Hart (0.33), and Eddie Gilbert (0.33) whose awards were split between five Best Booker nominations (including one win in 1988) and best heel/brawler/most underrated nods. The non-wrestlers Mike Tenay (WCW/TNA announcer, 0.44), Dana White (UFC promoter, 0.35), Joe Silva (UFC booker, 0.35) and Gabe Sapolsky (ROH/DGUSA booker, 0.38).

Some of these people are already on the ballot (Sting, Brock Lesnar, Yuji Nagata, Owen Hart, Edge). Others will be eligible in upcoming years (Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Mistico). Sabu was eliminated from the ballot in 2010, a fate that originally happened in Sting in 1998 (prior to his return to the ballot following the end of WCW and his in-ring return with TNA). At this time, it's unlikely that Otani, Samoa Joe, William Regal or Eddie Gilbert will be added to the ballot soon.

Also interesting were current HOF members who didn't score highly in the model:

HOF Wrestlers with Prediction Scores under 0.33

Joshi legends: Aja Kong, Akira Hokuto, Bull Nakano, Chigusa Nagayo, Dump Matsumoto

Bookers/Promoters: Antonio Pena, Bill Watts, Paco Alonso, Pat Patterson

Managers: Captain Lou Albano

Former Champions: Bob Backlund, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, Antonio Inoki, Nick Bockwinkel

Announcers: Dr Alfonso Morales, Gordon Solie

Iconic tag teams: Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey, Stan Lane) and Road Warriors (Road Warrior Hawk & Road Warrior Animal) and Buddy Roberts (Freebirds)

Japanese Stars: Genichiro Tenryu, Hiroshi Hase, Jumbo Tsuruta, Masa Saito, Shinya Hashimoto, Tatsumi Fujinami, Tiger Mask, Masa Chono

Mexican Legends: Dos Caras, Perro Aguayo

80s Stars: Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Dynamite Kid

2005 induction: Triple H (0.29) = continues to play major storyline (and real backstage) role in WWE along with occasional big match wrestler

2004 induction: Ultimo Dragon (0.28) = induction included his legacy as a trainer (Torymon)

2013 induction: Hiroshi Tanahashi (0.28) = after a huge year in NJPW, his score may dramatically rise when 2013 results are included

2013 induction: Kensuke Sasaki (0.12) = has held IWGP, GHC and AJPW Triple Crown titles; at age 47, continues to wrestle for various groups in Japan

2004 induction: Kazushi Sakuraba (0.14) = the famed "Gracie Hunter" prominently achieved MMA success (especially in Pride) alongisde his Japanese pro-wrestling

2009 induction: Konnan (0.15) = continues to have a major role in running AAA along; inducted for legacy of his major success in mid-90s Mexico

I think I've disliked most of WWE's top faces since I was a child. It's pretty much Bret and if you count Savage, him. But Austin, Shawn, Cena, Hogan, I never cheered for any of them. Rock I liked, sometimes.

• Like 1

I think I've disliked most of WWE's top faces since I was a child. It's pretty much Bret and if you count Savage, him. But Austin, Shawn, Cena, Hogan, I never cheered for any of them. Rock I liked, sometimes.

Bret and Austin for me. Sometimes The Rock. Never liked Hogan.

I actually think the super serious respect stuff might work in the WWE right now. Nobody is doing the prowres is serious business gimmick right now. At the very least Davey/Eddie would make a good foil for a team like the Matadors.

We;re all just waiting for Davey Richards to take moves from El Torito, right?

I'm waiting for Davey to reveal that El Torito is his brother, and that they seek revenge on Los Matadores, culminating with Tito Santana and Los Matadores vs. Davey, El Torito and their father, Mantaur.

I thought Davey and Eddie sucked? They show up to a wrestling camp and outclass everyone there? How does that work?

Maybe the bar was set really low.

They probably just had to do the basics.  They are probably really good at basic bumping etc, but they always have to add flipping, and spinning, and head dropping, and rolling, and bad promoing to everything.

My point here is that the hate directed at Davey and Eddie is way overboard and I'll explain why.

You know what part of the reason is for their matches being so terrible? Because of the fans who watch them. Because of twenty years of MOVEZ and dropping people on their head being the shit. I fully believe that Davey and Eddie are simply putting on a show that they know the people there want to see. Blame Benoit. Blame Japan. Blame the ROHbots. They are all part of the problem.

You ask some members of this board about Davey/Eddie in WWE and their reply is like these two would actually go out there and try to recreate one of their ROH matches. I don't believe that. They would go out there and they would do what they are told.

• Like 2

It's not all on the fans. It's shared blame. They all suck. Davey The Fans Everything. Everything is shit.

I've seen Davey wrestle a good match. And based on the way he worked that match, I think he can do what the WWE would want him to do.