DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I'm becoming more and more certain that 2 of my top 5 will not be on this countdown.

Also kinda sad REDACTED couldn't keep his shit together to explain A Star is Born being the best film of the decade. But also kinda glad. It's weird mix of emotions

22 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'm becoming more and more certain that 2 of my top 5 will not be on this countdown.

Also kinda sad REDACTED couldn't keep his shit together to explain A Star is Born being the best film of the decade. But also kinda glad. It's weird mix of emotions

Based on the qualifier from RIPPA at the start of the thread, that'll be your 4 and 5, right?

Part of me is curious to see what everyone's highest ranked movie that didn't make the cut turns out to be. But I doubt many people would participate in that fun.

Is MavsFan banned or something? What did I miss? Is this a basketball thing?

19 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Based on the qualifier from RIPPA at the start of the thread, that'll be your 4 and 5, right?

Part of me is curious to see what everyone's highest ranked movie that didn't make the cut turns out to be. But I doubt many people would participate in that fun.

I think everyone’s highest unranked film is a cool idea.

He was mean to someone, then told to chill out, and then was defensive mean to the wrong person. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Historically, a lot of us post our entire ballot once we reach the end.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

shingodzilla

166) SHIN GODZILLA (Shin Gojira) (2016)

Director: Hideaki Anno/ Shinji Higuchi

158 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JL Sigman, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%/74%) : METACRITIC (67/7.3)

This is a weird one for me. One the one hand, the monster looks absolutely ridiculous. On the other hand, it's an amazingly detailed look into the way Japan works. I liked it, but I don't think I want to watch it again unless they ever decide to make a sequel.

8 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Yeah, 4 and 5. I'm thinking 4 of my top 10 all together, but Duke of Burgundy showing up gives me hope.

Spoiler
The-Big-Short

164) THE BIG SHORT (2015)

Director: Adam McKay

159 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%/88%) : METACRITIC (81/8.2)

@Greggulator wrote

Just saw The Big Short. I thought it was wonderful. I write a lot about finance so I was curious to see how a lot of complex terms and concepts would get explained to a mainstream audience. I thought they did a really wonderful and entertaining job explaining tranches and CDOs and the like. My wife is allergic to anything involving numbers and/or finance and she was able to follow along really well. Great movie.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4455-movie-january-2016-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=471922

@Casey wrote

I just finished The Big Short and man is that a good movie. Steve Carrell is just fuckin' amazing in this thing, so is Ryan Gosling. Really depressing, though.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4738-movie-march-2016-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=506116

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

fastcolor

161) FAST COLOR (2018)

Director: Julia Hart

164 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/62%) : METACRITIC (64/6.9)

@Curt McGirt review from this year's Ernie Ladd

I've never even heard of this movie! And it's on Crave. Great! Something for after October.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Control said:

I've never even heard of this movie! And it's on Crave. Great! Something for after October.

I was going to say I never heard of it either but since Curt reviewed it for Ernie Ladd I guess that would be wrong. I'll rectify my error on my off days. I also remember being really excited to see The Other Side of the Wind when reading about it in Film Comment then promptly forgot about it. I guess it'll be a fixing mistakes double-feature this weekend.

Steve Carell was so awesome in The Big Short, him complete breaking when that CDO manager explained to him synthetic CDOs was one of the most unlikely great scenes I have seen. The film itself is also extremely creative ("we realize that financial talk is boring, so here you have Margot Robbie in a bubble bath doing so"). There were a lot of movies in the last ten years about current or semi-current big political, economical or social affairs or events, some Oscar-bait (e.g. The Post), some a bit more serious (e.g. Spotlight), but this one really stands out in that bunch.