DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

17 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

It comes from the OSW Review podcast, a Boy Stable are your favorite boys: wrestlers who were essentially glorified jobbers or midcarders for life. There are a bunch of criteria for being a "boy" but generally you have to have a shitty gimmick and have never won a major world title. 

Thanks so much for breaking this down, no freaking way I was gonna run that term through any search engine 

Such a weird concept, favorite glorified jobbers/midcarders? So if my faves growing up were say, Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat and maybe Flying Brian, guys with flashy offense compared to your powerhouse types, are they a *** stable? Why not just call them favorites or something?

Nvm 

Steamboat can't be a boy because he was NWA champion. Another kind of unspoken rule is they aren't supposed to be technically sound. There is an ongoing argument on the podcast as to whether Regal is a boy or not, he fits every criteria but they argue he's too good. If you had a strong affinity for someone like say, IRS, for example like I do, then he's an unequivocal Boy

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2020 at 12:18 PM, The Natural said:

What a feud, ROH vs. CZW in 2006. ROH vs. CZW at the 100th ROH show and especially the Cage of Death at Death Before Dishonor IV. My 2006 MOTY and gets my vote as the best match in ROH history.

I wish CZW had done more with the feud on their end outside of the Arena Warfare show.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I miss Bison Smith. Wish he got more opportunities before he passed to show what he had.

Not to shit on the deceased, but I remember Smith having a bad match with Bryan Danielson. I think that kind of says it all if Danielson can't get something passable out of you. There's probably a good reason why Gabe never brought in Smith yet Adam Pearce did. Looking at some the guys Pearce brought in, I don't think he's a very good judge of talent.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Guest Edwin

Bison Smith was great in Noah and IWA in Puerto Rico.

There's a great Noah multi man tag where Bison and Ricky Marvin stole the show which left us kind of wanting to see a singles match between them.

Edited by Edwin

On 4/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, Cobra Commander said:

UFC Bash at the Beach!

(as long as you forget that the WCW Bash held at an actual beach was in CA and not FL)

Five blocks from my house. Only WCW show I went to.

Yeah, fans were pretty behind Roman until 2015, when Daniel Bryan came back, announced he was in the Royal Rumble, then he was eliminated by Bray Wyatt and it all went downhill for everyone in that match. You can say all you want that it was WWE fans/wrestling fans being idiotic or whatever, but I've always been of the opinion that you go with what the crowd wants, your booking plans be damned. They're the ones paying money to see the show, whether it's live or on the Network. Bryan was still THE GUY to a lot of people, and in hindsight, yeah, it was a good idea not to go with him again since he ended up vacating the Intercontinental Championship shortly after he won it (just like the previous year), but nobody knew that was coming. If WWE did, and that was a reason why they went with Reigns instead, then that's on WWE for ever allowing Bryan to come back in the first place.

I know it's still a hotly contested debate, but if the fans want something, you give it to them. That's always the way to go, unless you know something concrete about a performer that's going to hinder that, like if someone is leaving or too injured to live up to the push, etc.

CM Punk saying to Luke Harper that "everything in WWE could be better" absolutely rings true here. There's no reason you need to push Reigns to the top of the card that fast, so soon. Have him in the Bryan role that night. Put him in the ladder match at WrestleMania 31. In this hypothetical universe, Seth Rollins cashing in his MITB on Daniel Bryan during the match against Brock Lesnar would cause INSANE heat, and he'd be defacto #1 heel just because of that. Instead you get people kind of cheering Rollins because he's not Reigns or Lesnar and neither are champion now.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not to shit on the deceased, but I remember Smith having a bad match with Bryan Danielson. I think that kind of says it all if Danielson can't get something passable out of you. There's probably a good reason why Gabe never brought in Smith yet Adam Pearce did. Looking at some the guys Pearce brought in, I don't think he's a very good judge of talent.

Low Ki and Danielson once had a match at Final Battle 2004 that stunk out the joint. As noted American philosopher Quentin "Rampage" Jackson once said: "Shit happens and shit".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Low Ki and Danielson once had a match at Final Battle 2004 that stunk out the joint. As noted American philosopher Quentin "Rampage" Jackson once said: "Shit happens and shit".

Yeah, I remember that Ki/Danielson match. 

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wish CZW had done more with the feud on their end outside of the Arena Warfare show.

They really screwed up by not doing anything with it. Their best shows that year were When 2 Worlds Collide and Best of the Best. I recall a rumor Zandig was unhappy with the angle for whatever reason. 

Edited by Six String Orchestra
Changed happy to unhappy
  • Like 1

Thinking of Andre after ordering the new book and this thought hit me: You can't buy the WWF World Title but you can buy the Governor of Florida.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Random: I just watched Battlebowl at Starrcade '91, and the best spot in the match is this baby looking the other way, totally bored, as Luger and Sting fight over a head smash into the guardrail. Then, after Sting reverses, he clashes Luger into the guardrail and the baby's face is like, "What the fuck, what is even going on over here?" 

Also, Luger's goofy facial expressions while selling are underrated in general. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Luger's selling overall is a gift to wrestling fans.

His loud yelling each time he eats a punch kills me, and I love it.

If we were doing some sort of all-underrated poll of wrestlers that we feel were underrated relative to their general standing, Luger would have to be top-five for me. About the only period of his career where I found him kinda boring was the Lex Express gimmick and the immediate endlessly-feuding-with-Tatanka,  teaming-with-Bulldog period after that until he left for WCW. 

And even then, the Lex Express and the USS Intrepid were both hilarious in retrospect and pretty awesome America, Fuck Yeah wrestling bits. I liked The Allied Powers as a kid but yeah, looking back their matches were kind of poo and heatless generally.

Lex Luger, a great man.

• Like 1

And while his in-ring peak was '89 probably, going back and watching those white hot '96-'97 Nitros a while back, he fucking ruled. He wasn't as cool as the nWo or Stang, but his going house of fire on the nWo and teaming with The Giant was stupendous. The title win is iconic despite the aftermath and his run at the end of World War 3 when it was him vs. almost the entire nWo is one of my favourite non-Sting WCW memories of that period. The promos after his falling out with the Horsemen were incredible too. Love Flexy Lexy. 

• Like 3