DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Don't know much about them, but I just spent about $10 on three games (GoNNER, Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition and Guacamelee! 2 Complete Edition). I saw Streets of Rage 4 was in their Indie sale, but it's.... not on sale? Weird. Their store has been a little wonky ever since they did the revamp.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Don't know much about them, but I just spent about $10 on three games (GoNNER, Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition and Guacamelee! 2 Complete Edition). I saw Streets of Rage 4 was in their Indie sale, but it's.... not on sale? Weird. Their store has been a little wonky ever since they did the revamp.

I'm currently blocked from making a purchase with a normal payment method due to their store issues although their support won't say anything. Sounds like my only method is by buying the giftcards and loading them to my wallet. Just a mess.

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

The indie sale folder on the site/in the app has something like 200 games in it - and there are at least twice that many indie games on sale right now.  Weird.  I'm spending a lot this week, mostly indie games I own in physical form (Limited Run, iam8bit, imports) but would prefer to have a digital edition.

Thank god they drilled the yen to dollar conversion rate into our heads in grade school or some of us would be confused right now.  

(for those that don't remember the conversion rate, 6.5 billion yen works out to about $63 million USD)

Edited by Eoae
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Thank god they drilled the yen to dollar conversion rate into our heads in grade school or some of us would be confused right now.  

(for those that don't remember the conversion rate, 6.5 billion yen works out to about $63 million USD)

i've always just used the "lose 2 decimal places" theory. 999 yen = $9.99. it's not exactly correct, but close enough for me.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Casey said:

The Guacamelee games are a blast, hopefully you dig em!

I am FINALLY finishing up Horizon Zero Dawn before Beyond Light drops

I think its pretty good that it took me to almost the end game before having a "big" glitch where I clipped inside of a Stormbird after killing it and I had to fast travel and then run back to collect my rewards.

God what a pretty game

• Like 3

I beat Yakuza 5. It took me 260 hours across 2 and a half months, over a hundred hours more than any other Studio RGG game, and I left more undone than I ever have. There is so much cool shit to do but it's less than the sum of its parts because it's SO bloated and there are SO MANY things you can't even start on til the final chapter.  May just skip 6 beyond dicking around a bit since right now I am way more interested in a JRPG than a brawler and I preordered 7,/LAD

I just started playing Hades on Swich last night, and, yeah, people are not kidding when they say it’s like crack.  I’m currently sitting here at work wondering why I didn’t bring my Switch so I can play it during breaks.

Working on the Platinum for Star Wars Battlefront II and it's so much easier compared to the first Battlefront. I just got 3 multiplayer trophies left and I'm done with it. I would not be surprised if EA pulls the plug on the servers next year; they started doing triple XP on Wednesday and double XP on the weekends. It's a matter of time.

Browsing the Indie Games sale on PSN ended up with me buying a game called Bowling.

Now I'm a league bowler but we can't bowl in leagues now due to the pandemic.

This is the worst game ever, the shot options are awful (it's just angles), and the game doesn't score correctly (doesn't factor in spares and strikes) and you only get 2 shots in the 10th frame. But somehow I've spent $2 on worse things.

15 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Browsing the Indie Games sale on PSN ended up with me buying a game called Bowling.

Now I'm a league bowler but we can't bowl in leagues now due to the pandemic.

This is the worst game ever, the shot options are awful (it's just angles), and the game doesn't score correctly (doesn't factor in spares and strikes) and you only get 2 shots in the 10th frame. But somehow I've spent $2 on worse things.

I don't even understand that.  Like...it takes more than 5 or 10 minutes to write a PS4 game.  And it costs money to have Sony approve it for their store.  You go to all that trouble and...don't get the scoring right?  WTF.  I get bugs but the scoring?  How does that even happen?

PBA Bowling is the only way to go. The physics aren't perfect, but by far, they're the best pin physics ever in a bowling game. I've put so many hours into that thing. 

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

PBA Bowling is the only way to go. The physics aren't perfect, but by far, they're the best pin physics ever in a bowling game. I've put so many hours into that thing. 

At $15 with discounted PSN cards? Done.

You'll enjoy it. It's the only bowling game where I've ever hit it too much on the hook and left a tap eight or a four-nine and it felt like IRL. It's nice that for once, leaving a soft ten actually makes sense based on your speed and angle instead of just feeling like the game programmed it to leave a soft ten randomly or when entering the pocket at a certain point no matter your angle. It feels very good. Just avoid the arcade bowling ball stuff and you'll get a pretty dope sim out of your purchase. Enjoy!

(Before this game came out last year, I was stuck going back to Brunswick Pro Circuit 2, which is a good game for its time, but come on.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly

So, I broke with Cyberpunk being less likely, and got AC: Valhalla. 

Man, it is fucking LIGHT YEARS better than Odyssey was.  I'm still having minor combat issues, but that's on me since I'm coming over from Ghosts and still using that game's timing and dodge buttons, but for everything else, it's good so far.  

While it ditched the "levels and power determined by random stats on interchangeable gear" system that Odyssey (and Origins to a lesser degree) had, it's still gating content behind the "power level" system, which is solely determined by your skill tree (which is where most of your base stat up's are in, as well as some techs).  While it's kinda easy to avoid going by the story, since they up and combined the Cult and Mercenary systems into one to go after the "Order of Ancients", you're running into generated enemies in lower level areas that are *WAY* out of your reach.  

The nice things are that pretty much all missions and events are pretty generous with XP and every level gives 2 skill points you level up pretty quick.

I started back on my playthrough of Spider-Man (I really need to learn to play games until I get to the end of them, so I'm not going "this is not what I remember."). I mainlined through the rest of the second act, which has some really fun beats towards the end, and I'm down to the third act now. This game is almost too heavily influenced on the Arkham stuff because one of the Mr. Negative fights basically feels like a Scarecrow sequence from Arkham Asylum.

I'm playing AssCreed:Syndicate since they (apparently) finally patched the PS4 version so that it worked, and I'm having a lot more fun with it than I did with most of Origins or Odyssey.  "Help Alexander Graham Bell repair his telegraph lines so that he'll fix your grappling hook gun" is the exact kind of dumb, pseudo-historical bullshit that makes me love these games.  And it helps that I can just skip all the present-day sequences.