DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Was Flair/Steamboat's famous 1989 trilogy under the WCW banner? 

Pretty sure the company name was changed when it was purchased by Turner in late 88...so yes Flair/Steamboat was under the WCW banner.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Does anybody know the contract status of Chris Hero, or Cassius Ono, and Cesaro?  These guys have to be two of the all time most misused talents in the long terrible history of titan sports.  Obviously I, like most, look forward to the day they make a move elsewhere.  

Cesaro’s going to do down as one of the best tag guys in WWE history.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

But money and ratingz, bro.

Yes, but by the Nitro/ 83 weeks era, they'd gone to a 75% good wrestling 25% charismatic old men ratio. Whereas when Hogan first came in, it went from 90% good wrestling to like 2%.

• Like 1

One thing annoyed me about the Sting/Vader feud. They had all that buildup to the strap match and then it was basically swept under the rug on television like it never happened.  I didn't see the PPV so the first time I saw any of the strap match was on Sting's VHS and it's AWESOME...   

but it's Vader/Sting so of course it was gonna be great.  

He doesn't even need A-Level mic work to be super over. He's been very over at times in the past, but they just didn't care. Look at his Cena and Orton matches. He should have had a title run by now. Look all the losers who have in his time there.

• Like 1

I hope @The Natural doesn't hate me for this but I don't quite see Cesaro as a world title guy.  I do think he's been underutilized and under the right circumstances he'd had been a top heel.  He should have at least been a Mr. Perfect of this era holding on to a midcard belt and dominating that division.  

FWIW,  I don't see a lot of guys as a world title guy. Seth Rollins,  Edge,  Sheamus. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hope @The Natural doesn't hate me for this but I don't quite see Cesaro as a world title guy.  I do think he's been underutilized and under the right circumstances he'd had been a top heel.  He should have at least been a Mr. Perfect of this era holding on to a midcard belt and dominating that division.  

FWIW,  I don't see a lot of guys as a world title guy. Seth Rollins,  Edge,  Sheamus. 

I don't hate you, @Niners Fan in CT. Fellow fan of the Legit Boss.

Even with two world titles, Cesaro's not going to get a look in. Sad that. Also sad when you think about the people who did get a world title reign. Jinder fucking Mahal! Two world titles allowed those to become a world champion who wouldn't have (Jack Swagger, Christian and Mahal ). That's also an argument against the existence of two world titles when the top of the tree should only hold it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree. I like Cesaro. He is a guy who should have at least gotten a few title shots, but I have just never seen him as the actual world champ. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Also sad when you think about the people who did get a world title reign. Jinder fucking Mahal! Two world titles allowed those to become a world champion who wouldn't have (Jack Swagger, Christian and Mahal ).

I agree with this.  If the counterpoint is why not Cesaro?  He's better than Swagger or Jinder Mahal.   I like Christian a lot.   You know I think Christian there is an argument to be made because I look back to his short lived feud with Cena and he looked like he belonged in the same ring during the promo segment.  He was also very good in the ring.  

Is there a case to be made Christian is more of a top level guy than Edge? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not the Natural(*points at title*), but I hate you, but for other reasons... A Niners fan in CT? What kind of bizarre confluence is that?!

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree with this.  If the counterpoint is why not Cesaro?  He's better than Swagger or Jinder Mahal.   I like Christian a lot.   You know I think Christian there is an argument to be made because I look back to his short lived feud with Cena and he looked like he belonged in the same ring during the promo segment.  He was also very good in the ring.  

Is there a case to be made Christian is more of a top level guy than Edge? 

Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT.

Christian never seemed to get the love that Edge received from Vince McMahon. Edge held the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship on multiple occasions and was inducted into the Hall of Fame a year after having to retire beause of injuries. The crowd was so hot for Christian vs. John Cena in June of 2005 but Chris Jericho was inserted into the picture and Christian left WWE for TNA becoming the NWA World Heavyweight Champion twice.

Christian returned to WWE in 2009 holding the ECW Championship then the World Heavyweight Championship twice but it's the WWE Championship, that's the one you want to hold with the history and legacy of it. I honestly think that might not have happened if Edge didn't retire. Hell, Christian's first World Heavyweight Championship reign ended two days later on Smackdown. Christian is STILL waiting for his Hall of Fame induction.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's weird that we're talking about Cesaro, and WWE just posted a tweet saying he's going to be in attendance at the NXT UK Takeover this Saturday. Seemingly confirming those rumors about Cesaro (and some others) wanting to work a little bit for the NXT UK brand.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's weird that we're talking about Cesaro, and WWE just posted a tweet saying he's going to be in attendance at the NXT UK Takeover this Saturday. Seemingly confirming those rumors about Cesaro (and some others) wanting to work a little bit for the NXT UK brand.

Ah. Thanks for the info.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yes, but by the Nitro/ 83 weeks era, they'd gone to a 75% good wrestling 25% charismatic old men ratio. Whereas when Hogan first came in, it went from 90% good wrestling to like 2%.

I know, but I keep hearing that the money is all that matters. Even when I was the "WWF lemming" in the '90s(times change), I loved the good wrestling in WCW.

Cesaro is so astonishingly high level in the ring at this point, that it's almost criminal he's not pushed higher in the last few years than random tag guy.

• Like 4

Cesaro's had some of Roman's best matches, but nobody remembers because they were on Raw. I'm not saying Cesaro should be world champion. But there's a place for him higher on the card. Just from a standpoint of making the Big Dog look good, those two should have had a series of PPV matches by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Cesaro’s going to do down as one of the best tag guys in WWE history.

Interesting. Truthfully, I'm going by what I've read and the highlights I've seen more than actually tuning into to WWE programming, so I'll have to take the word of a regular viewer.  From an outsider perspective getting a run with the tag titles seems akin to being the European Champion in the time I was last invested.  I've long admired Cesaro's work, and feel like with the right booking regime he has potential to be a big money player.  I get that he doesn't have 'fire' promo ability, but his charisma matched with the right manager/mouthpiece (I've always kinda wondered what happened with the Heyman run?), or just keeping the promos short, seems like it would be enough with a competent or quality booker.

And what he said...

19 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Cesaro is so astonishingly high level in the ring at this point, that it's almost criminal he's not pushed higher in the last few years than random tag guy.

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Cesaro's had some of Roman's best matches, but nobody remembers because they were on Raw. I'm not saying Cesaro should be world champion. But there's a place for him higher on the card. Just from a standpoint of making the Big Dog look good, those two should have had a series of PPV matches by now.

I have little memory of their matches other than thinking they were good at the time. Roman's best stuff was against AJ, Bryan, Finn, Strowman, and the Shield tags.

• Like 1