DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion - the success of the online mode tells me it is - but man, GTA Online is just so fucking bland and boring to me.

I miss the days of GTA IV where it was a good length game with DLC expansions.

• Like 2

No replying to @Casey because yes, GTA Online is meh.  But mentioning GTA4 reminded me...I recently replayed GTA4 and its expansions.  Let me tell you, people are seriously rose-colored glasses-ing 4.  SO MANY "go here, shoot all these guys" missions with zero variety, fun, or nuance.  Between that and the lack of checkpoints and useful retry system, I used cheats just to get through the game.  Also, keep in mind, if you get the urge to replay it, that there's a QTE in the last mission that is much more difficult because Rockstar upscaled the framerate for the re-release on modern systems but didn't retime the QTE to compensate, so you have to hit buttons twice as fast.  There are tutorials on YouTube on how to pass it.  It's doable, but tough.  But yeah, the good old days weren't always good.  Lost and Damned was a bit better W/R/T mission variety and fun, I think, but it wasn't until TBoGT that I feel Rockstar realized what modern GTA could be. 

Edited by Technico Support

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I hope you can feel people to those alligators.

Been there and done that in Mafia 3.  I am looking forward to the obligatory Scarface chainsaw dismemberment reference.

• Like 1

Game looks incredible, but I was expecting that to begin with. GTA VI has an such an insane tightrope to walk. GTA V was huge, GTA Online is still played 10 years later (Also holy shit it's been 10 years), and they had such an obscene amount of content in the game by the end of the day (to the point they've actually been removing some for a while). But unlike the other games that have been as ambitious as this one HAS to be, Rockstar has steady income coming in from GTA Online so they shouldn't have to rush to make the game as good as it really needs to be at launch. It's why I'll never be annoyed about this game taking forever. Make it amazing at launch. 

Also, "Florida: The Game" is in and of itself a brilliant concept.

• Like 1

Dang, that looks purty.  The amount of stuff happening on screen at one time is insane. 

I waited 10 years, I can wait 2, or 3, more for the next.  Then we get the band back together.  We just swap two beer with the night shift for Ensure and early bedtimes.

• Like 3

Having driven through Florida recently.....it was like everywhere I saw in Florida in one game based on that trailer. They even had the car meetups (which I thought was an Atlanta thing). Convenience store signs written out? Check. Apple Pay logo? Check.

All it needs is The Villages equivalent and Florida's ridiculous toll system. I saw a guy pushing an airport luggage carrier train on the sidewalk too there.

I'm hoping Rockstar Games actually has single player campaign non online DLC that's set in the GTA version of Atlanta.

By the time it's presumably out....I'll be 44. Holy shit.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

Well it looks cool, but nothing there indicates the actual gameplay is good, it’s just a movie. Cyberpunk had great trailers and was a mess at release. Rockstar obviously has a great reputation (though Dan Hauser seems like a huge loss and their one project since his departure was a slap in the consumer’s face) so I’m not too worried, but even games that were complete upon release by modern standards like Elden Ring still greatly benefited from a few updates, so I’m gonna wait for some reviews from independent critics and won’t get this day one. Hopefully Rockstar resolves some of the issues RDR2 had where it was an open world on the surface with an extremely on rails, limited mission structure. The PS2 GTAs are still my favorite since they feel more like games than interactive Netflix series. Here’s a gun, figure out how to kill the mob boss. Punish me for not exploring the side content enough. Let me take risks. Let me fail. Let me git gud. 

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert C said:

I waited 10 years, I can wait 2, or 3, more for the next.  Then we get the band back together.  We just swap two beer with the night shift for Ensure and early bedtimes.

We will shoot things in the face in honor of @RUkered

• Like 5

Having grown up in the real life version of Vice City, but having been gone for 30 years....  There's such an odd feeling of nostalgia, shame, and fucking pride at seeing what the depiction of "Vice City" looks like in the mid 2020's. 

I see things in there that I fully recognize (The skyline, the places on the beach, the convenience stores, the open air apartment buildings that the crazy lady is stanidng in front of)... but it's mixed with this whole new set of characters and people who have taken this city and made it their own.  

I know it's doubtful we'll see Tommy outside of an easter egg, but one can only hope.  

Overall... I'm just blown away. It looks so fun and insane. I can not wait to see what R* has planned for this story. 

• Like 5