DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Surprised at the love for Rory/Amy hated all of their scenes in the episodes they were in.

My list goes:

Rose

Donna / Wilf

Jack

Clara

Martha

Rory/.Amy

To contrast, I've wondered how bad karen Gillan's back is from carrying Matt Smith for two years. . . 

I didn't know there was such Rose hate.

I'll agree with Kuetsar though.  Season 5 and 6 were really Amy as the main character and The Doctor happened to be a plot device instead of the main character.

Which is probably why 7 was a real weak season.  

Martha was also, you know, USEFUL! She was a medical doctor. She was smart, hot, and capable. Plus, shehe roamed the planet for a year building a resistance. Rose? Amy? Donna? Shit no. Rory? Maybe.

For me, Martha is the best companion with NuWho. She (at first) didn't try to be the 'girlfriend companion' like Rose, Amy (to some extent) and Clara (where it was obvious that the Matt Smith Doctor equally liked her) did. Donna would be up there for me if her character was better written -- although I guess the pay off with "The Stolen Earth" / "Journey's End" helped her a bit.

Clara this season is pretty much as if the last 2 episodes of Matt Smith's run didn't happen and they want to pretend she didn't jump into the Doctor's timestream to save him (she would NOT be a normal person after that -- and would probably be nutso).

For me, Martha is the best companion with NuWho. She (at first) didn't try to be the 'girlfriend companion' like Rose, Amy (to some extent) and Clara (where it was obvious that the Matt Smith Doctor equally liked her) did. Donna would be up there for me if her character was better written -- although I guess the pay off with "The Stolen Earth" / "Journey's End" helped her a bit.

Clara this season is pretty much as if the last 2 episodes of Matt Smith's run didn't happen and they want to pretend she didn't jump into the Doctor's timestream to save him (she would NOT be a normal person after that -- and would probably be nutso).

Maybe after Eleven changed his personal history in DOTD, that didn't happen?

For me, Martha is the best companion with NuWho. She (at first) didn't try to be the 'girlfriend companion' like Rose, Amy (to some extent) and Clara (where it was obvious that the Matt Smith Doctor equally liked her) did.

Uh, she almost immediately falls in love with him. It's a major plot point in the two-parter where he thinks he's a teacher. I was actually going to come in here to say that Martha's only weakness is how wholly she falls in love with the Doctor.

Why wouldn't she be normal after that? Why would she be nutso? Are there established rules for that sort of thing? Is there some reason why Doctor Who should make sense in this instance and not in every other instance?

Why wouldn't she be normal after that? Why would she be nutso? Are there established rules for that sort of thing? Is there some reason why Doctor Who should make sense in this instance and not in every other instance?

Well, during the 10th Doctor's run, Donna had absorbed Time Lord knowledge; if she remembered any of it, she will die. The show had already established that any contact with Time Lords for humans was not good; not to mention that Mickey had triggered an event due to his riding around in the TARDIS. I guess Moffat wanted to forget most of the Davies' run and pretty much play fast and loose with the show's rules.

I also think that the 11th Doctor rebooting the entire universe during "The Big Bang" episode should have gotten him marked for death by the Time Lords, but oh well.

The entire "The Time Lords are sequestered/dead" subplot is troublesome because the simple fact that they exist outside of time and have access to time machines means that their deaths/banishment should not preclude them showing up. Time Lords from before the Time War or after their release should be roaming the cosmos, unaware of what's coming or considering it part of the past. Even by Who's somewhat wanky time travel rules,  sealing them away as completely as was done is really sloppy (especially now that their absence is implied as less-than-permanent). But by the rules of the story as it stood at the time of "The Big Bang" and still kind-of stands today, the High Council is in no position to fuck with the Doctor.

This is what I never understood. The Time Lord's planet is in a pocket universe. What's so bad about that? The culture is still there. The people are alive. Surely the entire planet has food and the people can sustain itself. So what's thw downside to being in a pocket universe away from all your enemeies that caused the last Great Time War and that will surely cause another.

I always assumed it was an ego/power trip thing.  Time Lords are generally free to go where/when they want, meddle in the affairs of lesser species, etc.  As a race, they're basically adventure junkies.

Finished up the current season.  It's probably my favorite season of Doctor Who.  Loved Capaldi in the role, as well as the take on this version of the Doctor.  Think the wacky personality tics work a lot better when you balance it with a more serious side.  Tennant's Doctor seemed to be wacky too much of the time, though it worked because Tennant could pull off the more dramatic moments.  Smith's take really grated on me.  Of course, it depends greatly on the actor.  They can change things up and vary the tone with Capaldi because he's a good actor who can probably make most things work. 

Danny Pink really drug the season down for me.  Not an awful character, but he was really bland.  Between the actor playing the character as extremely low-key and the writing, they just never made him very interesting.  For me, at least.  I'm sure that was partly intentional.  Danny was supposed to be the "safe" option for Clara - a stable, predictable guy - while the Doctor was the more dangerous, adventurous option.  They just went overboard making him bland.  His two character traits were... what?  That he loved Clara and had PTSD?  That's really it.  And the actors don't really have that much chemistry.  I never bought Danny/Clara as some great romance.

And I really hated Cyberman Pink.  It seemed like really lazy writing.  Cyberman Pink just happening to get put together with Clara in the midst of all that, the stuff with him overcoming his programming once the emotion chip was turned off, his rah-rah speech to the other cybermen.  Ugh.  Really dug the last two eps when Capaldi or Michelle Gomez were on-screen.  When Samuel Anderson was onscreen, the writing veered into bad melodrama. 

Still, a solid season.  For the first itme in nu-Who, I'm looking forward to next season.

Hope they find a way to bring Michelle Gomez back.  She chewed the scenery, but in a good way.

I always assumed it was an ego/power trip thing.  Time Lords are generally free to go where/when they want, meddle in the affairs of lesser species, etc.  As a race, they're basically adventure junkies.

Finished up the current season.  It's probably my favorite season of Doctor Who.  Loved Capaldi in the role, as well as the take on this version of the Doctor.  Think the wacky personality tics work a lot better when you balance it with a more serious side.  Tennant's Doctor seemed to be wacky too much of the time, though it worked because Tennant could pull off the more dramatic moments.  Smith's take really grated on me.  Of course, it depends greatly on the actor.  They can change things up and vary the tone with Capaldi because he's a good actor who can probably make most things work. 

Danny Pink really drug the season down for me.  Not an awful character, but he was really bland.  Between the actor playing the character as extremely low-key and the writing, they just never made him very interesting.  For me, at least.  I'm sure that was partly intentional.  Danny was supposed to be the "safe" option for Clara - a stable, predictable guy - while the Doctor was the more dangerous, adventurous option.  They just went overboard making him bland.  His two character traits were... what?  That he loved Clara and had PTSD?  That's really it.  And the actors don't really have that much chemistry.  I never bought Danny/Clara as some great romance.

And I really hated Cyberman Pink.  It seemed like really lazy writing.  Cyberman Pink just happening to get put together with Clara in the midst of all that, the stuff with him overcoming his programming once the emotion chip was turned off, his rah-rah speech to the other cybermen.  Ugh.  Really dug the last two eps when Capaldi or Michelle Gomez were on-screen.  When Samuel Anderson was onscreen, the writing veered into bad melodrama. 

Still, a solid season.  For the first itme in nu-Who, I'm looking forward to next season.

Hope they find a way to bring Michelle Gomez back.  She chewed the scenery, but in a good way.

The Brig got his salute. I can handle all of the CyberPink they can sling my way because the Brig got his salute.

But see, that's the whole reason the Doctor ran away; they had all this remarkable power and used it to become cloistered intellectuals. Once Omega and Rassilon's advancements created the Golden Age, they sat on their asses and never DID anything. The CIA are this close to a rogue faction, barely tolerated and looked down on by the government proper. Renegades both good and evil happen because life on Gallifrey is *boring*, and on the rare occasions they DO interact it's usually bad for the universe as a whole (particularly when Rassilon is involved, both in the ancient past and the current day.)

Second week of the Humble Bundle is up, and the only new additions are the three stage plays: The Ultimate Adventure (with Colin Baker), SEVEN KEYS TO DOOMSDAY (featuring Trevor Martin as an alternate Fourth Doctor as it was originally made during Pertwee's last year on the show) and CURSE OF THE DALEKS (from Terry Nation's "license the Daleks separately" period.) None of these excite me, but as an add-on to what's already there they aren't bad.

So...I'm supposed to want to beat Tamsin with a hammer, right? Because while she's pulled out a couple of last-second saves, I totally want to beat her with a hammer. She's so phenomenally irritating that I don't care that she's fairly capable underneath all the whining.

Don't want to listen to the last four eps of Season Four until I have "An Earthly Child" and THAT has to wait a paycheck, so I'll probably listen to "Love and War" after I finish the Ice Warrior two-parter tomorrow and then do Dalek Empire season 1 and/or the stage plays next week.

I am early in the Eighth Doctor series, but I can't say I've warmed up to Lucie Miller yet. My understanding of Tamsin (and I haven't got to her stories yet) was that she was supposed to be a companion that didn't really fit in. Eighth seems to be prone to these (see C'rizz).