DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Many are the arguments were

Was she lying?

Was it not there at all or maybe there but in a parallel dimension, thus he didnt see it?

Admittedly, it needs another viewing, since it hard to see in a room full of people watching on a projecyion screen.

I thought the episode was a great premise but turned into 'standing around emoting in a graveyard' towards the end.

It felt like the best worst RTD episode.

Unlike Kill the Moon, which was like worst worst RTD episode.

How does this season compare to the last season or two?  Better?  I got behind after episode 2, and never did much to catch up.  The Missy/Master/Dr. stuff has me intrigued, so I'm thinking of marathoning the season beginning this week.  Worthwhile?  I like Capaldi, but I'm not much of a Who fan overall (if Smith had stayed on, the show might already be deleted from the DVR.  Didn't care for last season much).

Things I liked about the finale:

1. Clara's pre-title lie about being the Doctor being echoed in the opening credits, where she temporarily gets top billing (and the eyeball closeup).
  2. The THUDERBIRDS/CAPTAIN SCARLET jokes aboard the jet.  As a lifelong Supermarionation fan, this had me shrieking with laughter.
  3. Michelle Gomez's GLORIOUS scenery chewing.  Plus her umbrella entry into the graveyard, which (along with her wardrobe in general) merely confirmed all the "Mary Poppins is a Time Lord" memes.
  4. The Easter Egg with Nick Frost as fucking SANTA CLAUS.

And apparently Ingrid Oliver, the girl who played Osgood, wasn't too happy about that as well.

Osgood should have been the next companion. Yeah. I said that after watching The Day of the Doctor, but when she popped up in Death in Heaven, I thought for sure they would head in that direction.

One thing I was very determined about was that the Master/Missy would have to kill somebody we liked in the most cruel, heartless and terrible way to absolutely say that this person is shockingly evil. Osgood was the one we flung on the fire to make the Master burn brighter.

Oh fuck you, Moffat.

• Like 1

Of course, Moffat lies, so who knows if she is really dead? (Again, Zygon...)

After the screening at the con, a girl dressed as Osgood walked in the room and got a huge ovation.

I also assume there are websites now saying Moffat killed Osgood as a metaphor for his dismissal of the young female Doctor Who fanbase.

And apparently Ingrid Oliver, the girl who played Osgood, wasn't too happy about that as well.

Osgood should have been the next companion. Yeah. I said that after watching The Day of the Doctor, but when she popped up in Death in Heaven, I thought for sure they would head in that direction.

She's 100% the opposite of what they look for in a companion. A companion is like a running mate. She's there to appeal to the people that Doctor Who doesn't usually appeal to. Shopgirls and Coronation Street fans and Catherine Tate's preexisting audience and what not. (or, you know for the dad's, but I don't think that's QUITE as true anymore). They already have the geek girls. Why preach to the base?

terrance dicks said the job of the companion is to say "what's that, Doctor?" The show is about the Doctor, first and foremost.

Of course, he must not have watched a lot of nu Who, when the Doctor seems to often take a backseat to the companion's story.

Btw, i knew anecdotally that the gender splits are closer at Doctor Who conventions in recent years than other nerd culture things, but i definitely saw it first hand.i dont know if it was 50/50, but close to it. An interesting thing is that hardly any of them that were dressed up were as companions: a bunch of Matt Smiths, some Tardis dresses and a bunch of Daleks.

And i think i only saw one person dressed as Capaldi. Best costume i saw was probably the young guy dressed as Salamander, complete with cigar.

She's 100% the opposite of what they look for in a companion. A companion is like a running mate. She's there to appeal to the people that Doctor Who doesn't usually appeal to. Shopgirls and Coronation Street fans and Catherine Tate's preexisting audience and what not. (or, you know for the dad's, but I don't think that's QUITE as true anymore). They already have the geek girls. Why preach to the base?

That Catherine Tate has fans at all is mindboggling and very scary to me :(

I thought Osgood would have made for a great companion because she's the perfect "what's that?!" type. She just seemed to make for a great research assistant for the Doctor, who would always be exasperated at the events going on around her. So much so that we could avoid another girl having a crush on the Doctor.

I'd rather have Frank Skinner's character as a companion than Osgood.

Although you probably couldnt do it, i think the best companion for Capaldi would be the young black girl from Clara's school.

female, ethnic minority, already been in the Tardis, Capaldi is great with kids.

The only problem would prob be the issue of putting a kid in danger every week.