DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I'm still way behind on Big Finish, I have finished #77 : Other Lives but am taking a break on the main range to get caught up on the spin offs up to the point I am listening in the main range (about 2006). I have done Sarah Jane Smith, UNIT, Excelis and the first 3 seasons of Galifrey but still need to do the second and third seasons of Dalek Empire, first season of Cyberman and Unbound.

Finished out Dark Eyes III today at work. It's not as tight and compelling a tale as the first set, not as narratively interesting as the second, but it's still very good and worth $20 if you've got the first two. We get more insight into this version of the Master (hell, the first episode is a Master story, straight up, with the Doctor reduced to a peripheral figure), the Eminence continues to be an interesting threat (if not much of an interesting character) and it's generally just fucking exciting. Four months til the final part of this maxiseries, and an announcement of where the 8th goes next. It feels like a neat enough conclusion that I'm not entirely sure where they go for that last four episodes, but then if I hadn't bought v1 well after v2 was out, I would probably have felt the same about that one.

On the Big Finish podcast, someone asked if they would ever do a Multi-Master story, like all the multi-doctor anniversary specials?

Briggs did not totally dismiss it, but i wonder how it could be done with two Masters deceased.

Yeah, the fact that Beevers and McQueen are the only ones they really have access to who are (1) alive, (2) not off-limits as 'new Who' elements and (3) not Eric Roberts makes this an awesome but impractical idea.

Starting 8 and Lucie season two tomorrow, will probably do one ep a day at work until I finish it (excepting Christmas Eve, which will be revisiting "The Chimes of Midnight" because duh.) Wish I didn't know how it all ends, though when I get to season 4 I may be grateful that I do.

Halfway through Season Two of 8th Doctor. "Brave New Town" was pretty awesome, the others have been fun but feel a little inconsequential without the slow build of the first season or the balls-to-the-wall crazy of Dark Eyes. I think I've kind of been spoiled by the 'event' box sets like Dominion and Dark Eyes and the long arcs of the Charley era, so now doing stories that are 'just good Doctor Who stories' feels anticlimactic.

OT: Has anyone got Frankenstein? I really desperately want it, but won't be able to afford it til probably February (knowing full well that I could've had it for $20 if I had bought it last month).

• 2 weeks later...

What are some good Peter Davison TV stories? I've seen "Earthshock" and "The Five Doctors," and I'll track down his Dalek episode and "The Caves of Androzani." What else is there?

I've listened to quite a few of the Big Finish audios (good thing to have on while walking the dog), and at least three that I've listened to have had the same central conceit: "Holy Terror," "The Chimes at Midnight," and "Protect and Survive." All of them basically feature a pocket dimension which is more-or-less a prison in which time/narrative keeps repeating. Not that I'm complaining. Actually, the most lauded of the bunch is "The Chimes at Midnight," and I like it the least. 

Holy Terror and Chimes at Midnight are both by the same author, Robert Shearman. All his stories except Jubilee have a loop of absurdist bullshit at their core (and Jubilee still has a ton of absurdist bullshit, just not the endless cycle of madness) and they work to varying degrees. "scherzo" ends up taking all his core black-comedy tropes and playing them deadly serious for torture and drama, and holy shit is it tough to listen to (but masterfully done). Not familiar with "Protect and Survive".

As for Davison on TV, I'm afraid he's the color Doctor I am least familiar with.

(Please do not take "absurdist bullshit" as an insult on Shearman's writing. I love all his stories, but they are clearly built around a core of deliberate bullshit.)

• Like 1

Humble Bundle is up. Right now it's just Dalek Empire series 1 and 2 at the $1 tier, Dalek Empire 3 at the green "beat the average" tier, and Lost Stories series 1 at the $15 blue tier. Not sure what will be added week 2, but Briggs specifically mentioned the three stage play adaptations.