DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I don't watch Dr Who (can't get into it). But I watched the Xmas special, just. Didn't convince me I'd been missing anything. The most fun was from playing the 'Where do I recognise that actor from game' (Misfits mostly. Also The New Statesman and Spaced).

False endings upon false endings upon false endings. The world is in peril, so let's stand around making casual conversation.

I'm sure people who like that sort of thing will think it's incredible.

It is nice when the characters in a story reference the similarities between a monster and the original ones in popular culture on which its based.

---

On an unrelated matter, i watched Ribos Operation last night and what a fun romp: game of thrones meets house of games guest starring Harry amudd.

Ugh.

Waiter, there's an Alien in my Inception.

The episode should have stuck with the 'bad ending.' It would have been true to the rest of the season and about how the Doctor 'is not a good man.'

The ending felt like a rip off of the final scene from Inception. I'm not thoroughly convinced that the Doctor & Clara are still not dreaming. I bet next season overarching story arc will be the Doctor & Clara in their shared 'dream world.'

Yeesh, Doctor Who has a long, proud tradition of being derivative. It's a bit late to get upset about it.

Arguably some of the best ever episodes of the show are pastiches or homages to other things in popular culture: pyramid of mars, brain of morbius, talons of wing Chiang.

An almost all of the Xmas episodes have been: Xmas Carol, Lion, Witch and Wardrobe, ...

• Like 3

Started watching the current season a couple days ago.  Only made it through the first two eps when the season aired in the fall.  Kinda digging the season so far.  I'm not really a fan of the franchise, but Capaldi's been great so far and Coleman seems to have more chemistry with Capaldi than she did with Matt Smith.  It helps that they seem to be developing the character beyond "cute spunky chick #11".  Don't have high hopes for Danny Pink, so far (though, of course, he's not meant to be a long-term character).

Really enjoyed the bank robbery episode, as well as the first two eps of the season.  The second episode had a bit too much of "classically trained actor holds rubber squid to his head and pretends to wrestle it" but the good Dalek theme was well played.

I've never made it through a complete season of nu-Who either watching the eps as they aired or marathoning the DVD set, but I'll probably stick with this season all the way through.  I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the season (I've read the spoilers so I know how the Missy thing turns out).

I think Coleman in the last season has been the best non-Rory Nu Who companion, and frankly I'm not sure who's even close. I have no idea why people are so quick to see her gone.

Part of it is how badly she's been written, and being whining every five minutes about how much she doesn't like the doctor or what a bad man he is.  As far as Nu companions go, I go Amy, Rose, Martha, her, then Donna. . . .

I still do not like how she has been interwoven into the Doctor's timeline.

If she just becomes a normal companion, it could be fine.

My order would probably go:

amy/rory

Mickey

Clara

Martha

jack

Rose

(Gap)

donna

If you count Wilf, he would be number one

Am I the only one who liked Donna?  I don't even really have a #2.  Donna --> wide margin -- Amy/Rory.  I suspect Clara might end up #2 after I finish the season.  Really wanted to like Amy/Rory more than I did, but a of the material during Gillian's time on the show wasn't particularly good.

Kinda wish they had kept John Barrowman's Torchwood character around since there probably won't be more Torchwood.  Both Barrowman and the character were a lot of fun.  Capaldi's version of the Doctor seems less flamboyant than Smith and Tennant's.  Probably would be fun to see how he relates to Captain Jack's in-your-face bisexuality and generally hedonistic personality. 

For that matter, Gwen Cooper/Eve Myles would probably make a good choice for companion.

Edit: Just noticed that Wikipedia says Eve Myles will have a role in the 2nd season of Broadchurch.

Donna

Martha (poor, poor Martha, never given a chance)

Clara (after series 8)

Amy/Rory

Wilf

Jack

That one kid that got stuck with the weird future upgrade in his head but couldn't tell anyone

Handles

Mickey

Clara (during series 7)

The Mars settlers

Rose

I loathe Donna and her office supply solutions to complex intergalactic problems while the Doctor clapped like a toy monkey and went "Brilliant!" You can say that Clara had the Doctor a bit henpecked, but at least she managed it with a general level of intelligence. Donna was an idiot savant at best and generally just an idiot. Martha's fine but the pining got old very quickly and she really didn't break out of it until the season finale. 

I think Martha is a charcter who will eventually benefit from being expanded/explored in novels and audio dramas in years to come.

Part of my dislike of Donna is just not caring for Catherine Tate, the actress/comedian.

And if you try nd squint, you can pretend Wilf was the cop from the Peter Cushing movie.

My list goes:

Jack

Rory

Clara

Amy

Martha

Mickey

Rose

Donna

Honestly I barely remember how Martha, Rose and Mickey were as companions. I just recall Donna being incredibly annoying. Honestly most of the positive stuff I hear about her really is just related to her not being infatuated with the Doctor. I liked that, it still didn't make her any less annoying. I will always be disappointed we never got an extended period of jack with the Doctor.