DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Capaldi was terrific...everything else, not so much.

It seems like Dr Who is a show that always has lead actors so much more better than the material.  I remember watching David Tennant and thinking, wow, this guy has fucking got it. He was just stuck in a show with clunky dialogue and special effects that looked like something out of a bad Syfy movie.

I think that's why Tennant is (widely) considered to be best one. He managed to give a performance that elevated the material.

I like the Master theory much more. Missy/Master. The dancing around the bush. Some of the comments. The fact that this is probably Moffat's last year or close to it and he hasn't done the Master yet. He's gone on record saying that the Rani didn't really have the caveat or value to bring back and while he does lie, I kind of believe it. Why do it with the Rani when you can get way more publicity and shock value by using the Master as a female instead.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Missy being The Master makes a lot more sense.  I'm pretty sure in OldWho they established that Regenerations can swap genders.  And last time we saw the Master in End of Time, he had the similar to The Doctor slightly nutty vibe.

Capaldi was aces, and I really dug the inferrence that he tossed the Clockwork out the door instead of appealed to it to toss itself. 

And the Attack Eyebrows, and now he can blame everything on the British

Missy/MAster could work for me but they would have to explain
that at the end of The End Of Time part 2 it is assumed he was reabsorbed into the time war/time lock which is now in a pocket universe thanks to the events of the Day Of The Doctor so my question is how did he escape

If that can answered in a way thats not oh its just wibbly wobbly timey wimey i will be satisfied but my money is on either The Rani or a new character altogether

I thought episode was a lot of fun and was on par with most post regeneration episodes. At least in the new reboot they tend to serve more like origin stories where the the plot isn't all that thick because they want to focus on defining who the main character is. 

However:

I think they are leaving us with a good hanging question about whether or not the Doctor actually pushed the robot man to his death.

But I have seen a lot of people dislike the fact that they made so many references to the previous Doctor specifically, and a few people who really disliked the inclusion of

Matt Smith

For me, Clara wasn't standing in for the audience in this episode, she was a stand in for all of the Hot Topic Whovian fan girls that loved the show because they thought the lead was cute and now the Doctor is an older guy so they spent the entire episode (including the man himself) basically begging them via Clara to please please please except this new guy and keep watching the show .

Everyone is guessing The Master but there is another canon Time Lord that no one has mentioned yet....

I liked "Deep Breath" quite a bit. It actually felt like pre-relaunch Doctor Who to me and not an Americanized show carrying the name. I look forward to what is to come

James

The problem with begging the fan base to accept the new guy even though he's older is that they spent most of the past decade encouraging the "hot boyfriend" dynamic.  It was interesting when Rose became infatuated with the Doctor because that idea had never really been done before.  I was more irritated than interested when they hinted that Amy viewed the Doctor as a sort of stand-in boyfriend - "the one she couldn't have" - but that was more or less ok since they mad it clear the Doctor viewed her more as an adopted daughter/niece and they kept Rory front and center, so the relationship lines were fairly clear.

I'm actually surprised to learn that Clara doesn't have a "boyfriend" relationship with the Doctor.  I thought the audience was supposed to assume she and the Matt Smith incarnation had a sexual relationship.  Guess not.

Then, of course, there's the whole issue of why every main companion in nuWho is a young, hot British chick. (Ratings, I assume, but there's a kayfabe rationale as well).

As for "Deep Breath", meh.  Didn't love it, didn't hate it.  I'm a casual fan, at best (never stuck with an entire season as it aired, seen most of the eps via On Demand, sometimes out of order.  Still haven't watched the end of the Amy Pond run, which is a shame because the Ponds are my favorite thing about nuWho.  The dinosaur on a spaceship and wild west in space eps turned me off the show for awhile).  "Deep Breath" was good enough to convince me to watch next week.  Main plot didn't interest me - and really didn't need padded out to 90 min - but there were some sharp bits between characters and some decent dialogue.  Capaldi didn't really do much for me as the Doctor, even though I like him as an actor.  Feels a little like he's slumming with this role.

I really wanted to see Doctor slip into a Capaldi-ism in the scene with the homeless guy and order the guy to "give me your coat, mother fucker!"

No way its Rassilion.  Although it would be awesome.  

So, possible Time Lords that Missy could be (if she is a Time Lord)

Rassilon, The Master, The Rani...

OH SHIT, SUSAN after a Heel Turn would be fucking awesome.  Totally believable that she could be pissed that The Doctor nuked Gallifrey and just bided her time thinking now he's on his last regen.  Works because only Clara and The Doctor (and the Time Lords locked in the pocket dimention) know that Gallifrey wasn't destroyed.

No way its Rassilion.  Although it would be awesome.  

So, possible Time Lords that Missy could be (if she is a Time Lord)

Rassilon, The Master, The Rani...

OH SHIT, SUSAN after a Heel Turn would be fucking awesome.  Totally believable that she could be pissed that The Doctor nuked Gallifrey and just bided her time thinking now he's on his last regen.  Works because only Clara and The Doctor (and the Time Lords locked in the pocket dimention) know that Gallifrey wasn't destroyed.

It could also be a psychotic Romana

James

True, Romana and Susan are the only full Time Lords that I think aren't established to be stuck in the Pocket Universe.  Rassilion and The Master are.  Course, the Daleks were supposed to be stuck behind the Time Lock and they got out, so...

Was it me, or was Capaldi noticeably kept apart from the Tumblr crew for the most part? The cartoon horn honk when he passed out was the single worst thing to happen in nuWho. My jaw dropped when that happened.

Fun fact: the gadgets that the Tumblr crew were using were designed by children for a (nearly 60 year old) kids show contest

Considering that this is a show that's had farty aliens, and I didn't even notice the sound you're describing, no, that wasn't the worst thing in NuWho. Not by a long shot.

I started watching Doctor Who when Peter Capaldi was announced, so even if he didn't end up being a great Doctor he'd always be the most important to me. Fortunately, he was fantastic.

• Like 2

Everyone is guessing The Master but there is another canon Time Lord that no one has mentioned yet....

I liked "Deep Breath" quite a bit. It actually felt like pre-relaunch Doctor Who to me and not an Americanized show carrying the name. I look forward to what is to come

James

I think you are the third person i know who said that.

My mom watched the the first episode. She said she didn't like Capaldi as she felt he was too goofy. Which is funny because that's exactly what she said when Matt Smith debuted.

I watched next week's episode, I feel it's a good starting point for the darker direction they've been teasing.

The Doctor let's a guy die. Well, he doesn't really let him die, he knows he's going to die anyway.

There's a Dalek that's only good until it's repaired, then it calls in it's comrades to kill a bunch of soldiers. The Doctor isn't surprised at all since he knows there's no such thing as a good Dalek. 

He let's it see inside his mind to share the beauty he's seen, but it only finds beauty in the Doctor's hatred of the Daleks. The Dalek calls the Doctor, "A good Dalek", a call back to the Eccelston episode.

A soldier wants to join Clara and the Doctor but he refuses her as he doesn't like the fact that she's a soldier. A good tease for conflict with the new companion, Danny Pink, who is a former soldier turned school teacher.

Enjoyed Capaldi (because duh). Liked Jenna Coleman's character for the first time ever. Enjoyed the episode overall in spite of how over Moffat I am. 

Of course after Matt Smith's hour-long regeneration, I was going to consider ANYTHING a step up.

I will take Trenzalre over the David Tennant visits every companion before he regenerates travelogue.

• Like 3

Enjoyed Capaldi (because duh). Liked Jenna Coleman's character for the first time ever. Enjoyed the episode overall in spite of how over Moffat I am. 

Of course after Matt Smith's hour-long regeneration, I was going to consider ANYTHING a step up.

I will take Trenzalre over the David Tennant visits every companion before he regenerates travelogue.

I'm torn. Each was overwrought. I never did have the patience for classic Who. But based on my experience with NuWho, I'd say Eccleston-Tennant was my sort of regeneration. There's certainly something to be said for exiting the stage with (relative) grace. 

I like Tennant more, so he wins. . . LOL