DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

That was the Matt Smithiest episode of the season.  Capaldi seemed very out of character.

Next week looks legit creepy as hell.*

*Hopefully it'll turn out better than the doll episode

I'm not sure if Capaldi's character is defined enough yet for him to be out of character. This sort of synced with what we saw in the first two episodes. There were elements of impatience with Clara and the situation in general that you could spin into this situation. We'd just never seen him in a situation like this before.

I could have done without the spoon-fighting though. He should of been all *FLIP!* "Venusian Akido, gentlemen!"

So far it seems like the series is very calculated based on mood. "Into the Dalek": This is a new, darker Doctor. "Robot of Sherwood": But not that dark. The kids can still watch. "Listen": But seriously, it is dark.

It seems like with Capaldi, the mask has come off of the doctor. We saw some glimpses of it with Eccelston, and a bit with Tennant. The Matt Smith came along, and the Doctor seemed to be a friendly "person". Now its as if the Doctor is closer to his true self, a cranky older gentleman, while still having some compassion, is tired of the charade of being other than what he is.

• Like 1

It seems like with Capaldi, the mask has come off of the doctor. We saw some glimpses of it with Eccelston, and a bit with Tennant. The Matt Smith came along, and the Doctor seemed to be a friendly "person". Now its as if the Doctor is closer to his true self, a cranky older gentleman, while still having some compassion, is tired of the charade of being other than what he is.

Strangely enough, by taking the mask off, he might come to terms with it all and ultimately learn to cope with who he is instead of just running from it. You almost feel that's what Capaldi is trying to achieve with his performance. 

My 12 year old got redistricted this year. Brand new school, but he's only in the second year of Middle School. He's had to move around quite a bit in his life, generally small moves, but a lot of new starts, so it's always a little tricky. Apparently, his entire GT English class, including the teacher, watch Doctor Who, so they start every Monday morning talking about the episode. It bodes well for the new year.

• Like 4

Yeah, I love the new Doctor completely but most of the stories (except for Into The Dalek) seem to be really bad. I think Listen will be a great episode (instead of "Are you my mommy?" kids with gas masks it's hands grabbing you from under a bed).

What's weird is it feels a bit like Series 1 with Ecceleston but 'updated.'

Im not sure its fair to make a generalization about this season's stories after 3 episodes. Of course, if youve read the leaked scripts already, thats a different matter.

To me, we had a regeneration episode (usually uneven), a pretty good Dalek episode and a decent but fun historical.

• Like 1

Great episode if you overlook what it's setting up and realize that it's basically about nothing.

Not sure how I feel about

Clara visiting the Doctor as a child on Gallifrey and establishing the "Promise" the Doctor used in The Name/The Time/The Day of the Doctor episodes. I guess the Impossible Girl storyline has a new wrinkle to it and the Doctor is more fully rounded as a character. It's going to be really hard when Clara/Jenna Coleman leaves the show. Knowing Moffat, we will probably find out that Clara is the Doctor's mother or something stupid like that.

And bleh on Danny Pink & Clara Oswin and their relationship. They are trying to make them be like Rory & Amy but unlike Rory & Amy, there is no attraction to each other whatsoever. It's like a block of wood (Danny) and the cute girl next door.

Apparently, the line Clara told him is something Hartnell said to Barbara in An Unearthly Child.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I would really love to see a "Young Dr Who" series since that seems to be the direction Moffat wants to go. It would give the Doctor a romantic interest (the penultimate female companion that has the qualities of Martha, Clara, Rose, and Amy), would allow a younger man to play the Doctor, and would have someone that's older that the Doctor serves under before he became the Doctor. A "X-Men First Class" for this in a lot of ways.

My point is as much as I liked the Impossible Girl storyline and liked the 11th Doctor & Clara together, they really should move on.

Probably my least favorite episode of the new series. Capaldi is bringing it, but I have this unhealthy dislike for Clara. Her best performance was probably the first episode of this series, IMO. Not every series needs to have groundbreaking storylines that shake up everything. Can't we have less retconning and more old fashioned Doctor Who Sci-Fi? Don't get me started on the Doctor being a crybaby in a barn. What the hell was the thing in Rupert's bed?