DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I was listening to a Who pod today and had a horrible vision of a Young Doctor tv show a la the new Gotham show, with teen Doctor, teen Master, maybe young Romana, and the struggles of becoming a time lord.

Oh Jesus Christ, this Whovian Divergent Maze Runner Percy Jackson Giver Harry Potter tween shit can kiss my ass.   I don't give a fuck if they are the new demographic hotness.

:Let them acquire the taste the same way we did.   This easily digestible portion approach to sci-fi makes me angry.

The problem is, it can work, but I don't really want them to do it either. Having teen angst would be a crap idea for Dr Who. Someone in Hollywood is probably floating the idea of J.J. Abrams-ing Dr Who.

I think Dr Who though needs a 'giant reboot' and get back to square one as far as what the show is about (and I don't mean Clara/11th Doctor romance subplots). Maybe have it be about the adventures of the First Doctor (in other words, he had other adventures before he went to Coal Hill with Susan Foreman). You see every other Doctor that came after (before?) him in him and you would get a glimpse of what the first Doctor would later become.

I respectfully disagree. Giving someone, ANYONE, the ability to reboot the Who series and we run the risk of some dipshit meddling with and breaking the essence of what makes Doctor Who what it is. Doctor Who has no right being as great as it is as it has changed so many hands. Hell, if Hartnell hadn't been sick and needed to be replaced as suddenly as he was, the idea of regeneration as a new yet the same person  may have never happened. It's the big, mis-matched messiness that makes the series and concept what it is. Plus, the inherent Britishness of the whole thing is another ingredient that, when tweaked, doesn't work. A "re-boot" of Doctor Who was tried in 1996 and we all saw how that worked out.

I wonder what might have happened if the Fox movie had been a hit.

We would have had a half human romantically inclined Doctor and a recurring Eric Roberts.

The horror...

• Like 1

Hugh Laurie as The Doctor vs. Rowan Akinson as The Master would be a fucking licence to print money I tell you!

Why yes, I'm still upset that we never got Akinson showing up in House as Dr. Blackadder.

Tonight's episode is probably the best Dr Who episode in a LONG time.

No more Space Boyfriend for Clara!

Really?

the moon is a giant egg?

Ridiculous premises for Dr Who has been the norm since the show begin, so I was willing to overlook how ridiculous what was tagged in spoilers.

It's simple compared to most of the 11th Doctor's run.

That was totally the space whale from series 6 right?

I just said it reminded of an RTD era episode, mostly the "tinkerbell/doctor in a cage" Master episode.

Hard to explain why some ludicrous science is fine, while some makes you go "really? Ugh."

Second time this year the plot/script obscured good/great acting by Capaldi and JLC.

My favourite of this season so far. "Ludicrous premise" isn't really a critique that holds water for Doctor Who.

Excited for a Doctor solo episode next week.

Edited to add: admittedly, the fact that people are now talking abortion and Doctor Who has made me reconsider my fondness for the episode.

There needs to be an Afro-Brit Doctor Who.  I pick Colin Salmon.

A good choice, but perhaps a bit too sophisticated. Apart from Jon Pertwee, I don't think there has ever been a suave Doctor, he has always had at least a bit of off beat or awkward to him, to varying degrees.

A good choice, but perhaps a bit too sophisticated. Apart from Jon Pertwee, I don't think there has ever been a suave Doctor, he has always had at least a bit of off beat or awkward to him, to varying degrees.

McGann?

McGann?

Was McGann truly suave? His character came off more likably scatterbrained in the movie. Only part way through his development in the Expanded Universe but he certainly didn't start off sophisticated (granted, I have only seen the movie once).

It's too bad Richard Ayoade is a terrible actor. He'd fit perfectly into the 10-11 Doctor mould of cute, nerdy guy with eccentric hair.

He'll just have to continue being a great director.

If they want to diversify Who, how about Kayvan Novak?

PS - Capaldi is pretty much the best.