DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I was gonna make a comment about "boy all these big name movies suddenly have trailers" and then I remembered SDCC is starting

Yeah, I'm fully expecting a Wonder Woman '84  and/or Birds of Prey teaser this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, I'm fully expecting a Wonder Woman '84  and/or Birds of Prey teaser this weekend. 

WB is not doing their normal Hall H Saturday presentation this year. But for whatever reason, they have a DC Comics booth I think.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Once upon a time, Comic Con was about comicbooks

Damn you nerds for not being nerdy about the right thing!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Damn you nerds for not being nerdy about the right thing!!!!

Do movies that make near or over a billion dollars even really count as being nerdy?

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Do movies that make near or over a billion dollars even really count as being nerdy?

Ah yes, the other side of the coin.  "It's become too popular now".  

Nerd culture is mainstream.  Sorry man. 

What's funny is that i was just listening to a pod about Shel Dorf inviting Gene Roddenberry to SDCC in 1973. He couldnt go, but Koenig and Doroty Fontana were there repping the show. 

So, the con has really always been multimedia. It's just that the tail wags the dog now and it's too huge (for me) to be enjoyable. 

Edited by odessasteps

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ah yes, the other side of the coin.  "It's become too popular now".  

Nerd culture is mainstream.  Sorry man. 

I've got nothing against it being popular. At all. 

I just find it sad that comic books are squeezed out of the spotlight at Comic Con.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've got nothing against it being popular. At all. 

I just find it sad that comic books are squeezed out of the spotlight at Comic Con.

It's basically CinemaCon part 2 except with cosplay and you don't have Helen Mirren saying Fuck Netflix.

If I was gonna have a gripe about it it would be more towards things like wrestling starting to take up space at SDCC

(Since you could make an argument that the most popular stuff (TV/Movie) is based on comic books - it’s a stretch to do so but still)

I really don’t mind media stuff. It’s just too big (for me). I thought it was becoming too big when it got to be 1/3 as big as it is now like 15 years ago. I only went one time after that, and there extenuating circumstances (part of a larger trip, only there 1 day, getting to see Miyazaki ...) in that case and that was almost 10 years ago. 

Edited by odessasteps

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You also hate people

QFT 

i presume I don’t need to trot out my standard “comic con from on hell” anecdotes. 

I just prefer now going to shows like Charlotte or Baltimore. 

If Freddy really wanted to fuck up my shit in the dream world, he'd come at me as a humanoid cat because that trailer was the most legit unsettling/terrifying thing I've seen in years.

But I'd go all Kincaid at him

KRUUUUUUUUUGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PUSSSSSSSSSAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

If Freddy really wanted to fuck up my shit in the dream world, he'd come at me as a humanoid cat because that trailer was the most legit unsettling/terrifying thing I've seen in years.

But I'd go all Kincaid at him

KRUUUUUUUUUGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PUSSSSSSSSSAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Not just as any humanoid cat but fucking DAME JUDI DENCH HUMANOID CAT

32 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Rippa just outed himself as a furry.

The Top Gun trailer didn't feature a dubstep (or whatever kids are listening to these days) remix of Dangerzone or Take My Breath Away so at least it's got that going for it.

That'll be for the closing credits.

Ian McKellan Cat seems weirdly normal to me. Like that's the natural progression of him getting older. He just becomes a cat.

I really like the sets and the world around the cats, but I'm about 95% positive I will not watch that movie.

10 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Ian McKellan Cat seems weirdly normal to me. Like that's the natural progression of him getting older. He just becomes a cat.

I really like the sets and the world around the cats, but I'm about 95% positive I will not watch that movie.

If you take your family to see this monstrosity during the holidays, child protective services (it only makes sense for them to be stationed at every theater playing this) should literally snatch your kids away as you enter the auditorium. No one should subject them to this cruel and unusual punishment.