DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Halle Bailey (of the R&B group Chloe x Halle) has been cast as Ariel in the live action Little Mermaid

Not to be confused (like EVERYONE on Twitter) with Halle Berry

The "We are *SOoooooooo* not racist, why would you ever say that!" contingent on Twitter has been taking it so well...

9 hours ago, Execproducer said:

WHY ARE THEY SPEAKING ENGLISH????!!!!!!  #DeadWhiteMan'sLanguage

I agree with this deep in my heart, but in my head I realize that no one would watch this movie if it were in Mandarin with subtitles..

I just hope that I didn't overthink this and react rather antiseptically to sarcasm or something meant to be humorous.  In the state of mind I'm in right now, I've noticed that I'm taking a lot of things a bit too seriously. 

Edited by J.T.

Movie looks no bueno

But Zellwegger actually looks significantly better in it than in those thumbnails. Both of them looked like they were altered specifically to maker her look grotesque, and I wonder if they're doing that to use people's morbid curiosity to click play.

I know she's gone through some significant changes, but in that trailer she looks so much better than the last few movies I've seen her in.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I agree with this deep in my heart, but in my head I realize that no one would watch this movie if it were in Mandarin with subtitles..

I just hope that I didn't overthink this and react rather antiseptically to sarcasm or something meant to be humorous.  In the state of mind I'm in right now, I've noticed that I'm taking a lot of things a bit too seriously. 

It was all sarcasm though I would absolutely watch it if it were in Mandarin with subs.

My mom was asking me about the Millennium Series movies in my Vudu account, what order they go in, and I told her "you probably don't want to watch those ones, they are three hours in Swedish" and by stepdad just had this stunned reaction "why would you buy movies in Swedish when you don't speak it?"

"They're subtitled" but he just shakes his head and looks away.

So, yeah, I think Mandarin would hurt the box office a bit.

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

My mom was asking me about the Millennium Series movies in my Vudu account, what order they go in, and I told her "you probably don't want to watch those ones, they are three hours in Swedish" and by stepdad just had this stunned reaction "why would you buy movies in Swedish when you don't speak it?"

Uh, because the American reboots blew goats, Dad.

To be fair, Rooney Mara did all she could to drag the US reboot of Dragon Tattoo across the finish like but Daniel Craig was just there to get a paycheck.  She really threw herself into the role of Lisbeth Salander but she didn't have the smoldering chemistry with Craig that Noomi Rapace had with Michael Nyqvist.

The Girl In The Spider's Web is a pretty bad movie.  All flash and no substance as I feared it would be  It's on Starz! Network in rotation so watch it if you must, but avoid it if you can. 

The only thing the movie really gets right is carrying on Steig's tradition of allowing Lisbeth Salander to get away with just about anything she does whether it be good or bad.  

She is one of the most absurdly protected literary characters in history.  In the space of four novels, she goes from being a antisocial hacker with serious mental health issues, an eating disorder, and living on a controlled income to an asskicking, gun toting, cyberspy with eyes in every network and limitless financial resources.

Edited by J.T.

IIRC, she never had an eating disorder, she just looked like she did.

But, yeah, Spider's Web wasn't a great book, and I have gotten around to Eye for an Eye yet.

I liked the Fincher/Mara/Craig movie. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I think a lot of it worked (and bless them for at least trying to uncomplicate the Vanger mystery solution a little)

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't remember if it is said in the book but Larsson used his niece as inspiration when creating Lisabeth and she admitted to battling anorexia

In the two years Larsson spent writing his novels, he often e-mailed Therese to ask her questions about her life: what she thought about, what she would do in certain situations. She told him about her struggles with anorexia and about her passion for kickboxing; she had been taking lessons since she was 15. (Before that, she had studied jujitsu for eight years.) He had always loved how she dressed as a teenager — black makeup, black leather jacket, black boots.

Apparently the niece also talked about always wanting a "tattoo of a dragon"

To the best of my recollection, she's described a few times as looking anorexic, or other characters think of her as anorexic, but nothing in her behavior in the books actually appears to fit. In the second book, it's a minor plot point that she eats like a kid just moved away from home, buying frozen pizzas in bulk.

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

She is like seventy pounds soaking wet but she goes toe to toe with Sweedish Nazi Bikers three times her size and wins.

In Steig Larsson's world, both the martial arts and computers worked like magic.

• Like 1

TONE-DEAF 

dir. Richard Bates Jr. 

from the Youtube comments: 

>>>LEGIT EPILEPSY WARNING. SEIZURE INDUCING GRAPHICS.<<<

This is gonna be fucking crazy

EDIT: I didn't put it in the horror thread, boo hoo

Edited by Curt McGirt

A 2nd Dora the Explorer trailer

Much like the first one - it is clear that they aren't taking it too seriously and that is probably the only way you could do the movie